Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
reading through a thread this morning, the thought returned to me:
Darwin talked about "the survival of the fittest." Those of any species which did not have the adaptive properties necessary to survive were naturally excluded from the continuation of the species. The strongest survived, the weakest died out.

This idea of the evolution of mankind seems strikingly similar to many peoples' ideas about God and man: those who are "strong enough" to accept Jesus in this life will "evolve" into eternal life. Those who are "too weak" will die off.

Is this perhaps why Christians are so against the theory of evolution, simply because the theory of evolution is so similar to their beliefs about God??

Curious to hear thoughts on this..

Blessings to all (even the "weak")!
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:38 AM

478 posts, read 772,993 times
I personally don't really see the connection you are trying to make except in a linear sense, within the context that you yourself provided. And you did provide a good example and a thoughtful question. Though I tend to believe that it is the exact opposite of what you posted- the less susceptible a person is to falling into the trappings of some of the more organized and strict religions, and the more thoughtful, ready to listen and learn from the world around them in a spiritual sense- well, they will be the ones to become more spiritually mature/evolved or "closer to god". The people who can't pull their heads out of their holy book or think independently, nor make any decisions without having to refer to a particular doctrine or set of rules, and refuse to acknowledge all that is around and surrounding them are destined to remain the same and unchanged- thus will die out in the 'spiritual' sense you speak of. Not the other way around.

Of course we also have to remember that whether or not religious or non-religious people think about evolution as compared to religion, there are some indisputable truths: the theory of evolution is only a "theory" in some particular aspects, while religion is a "theory" in every single aspect. Religion is completely man-made and has no tangible nor scientific backing of any kind with which to offer any credible reason to believe in it. So in that sense, evolution and christianity are pretty opposite.

I could be wrong, and it'll be interesting to see what christians think about the query you posed but I'd be pretty surprised if anyone- especially christians feel that their religion (or any religion, for that matter) is even remotely similar to the theory of evolution...even if it were, and had you illustrated the point even further I doubt that a good portions of the more fundamentalist christians, the types that think the earth is new would buy into your theory simply because they'll do anything, and use any means to debunk evolution so long as it interferes with their little world of creation and new-earth. I can't speak for them but I'm envisioning them being insulted at the very thought of having any connection to even the word evolution! I suppose we'll see, carry on...

Old 10-03-2010, 03:05 AM

Thank you Helios666; you are right, I need to specify more clearly what I mean.
I'm NOT referring to the concept of man coming from monkeys. And I'm NOT referring to the age of the earth.
I AM referring to the "theory" of evolution, which says that any species will survive only through adaptation to its environment.

Christianity in modern times, says that man must "adapt" by "accepting Jesus" in order to survive (eternal life). Those who don't "adapt" will be sent to hell forever, or destroyed. Many threads on this sub-forum contain posts by people who are basically saying, "I have adapted (accepted Jesus), I will survive." And, "if you don't adapt (accept Jesus) you will become extinct."

It is in this sense, that I see a strong similarity between the two. I would even go so far as to suggest, that one has influenced the other.

Blessings to those "evolved" and those who are not "evolving!"
brian

Old 10-03-2010, 03:41 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Darwin and modern Christianity: bed buddies?

Yes, because I believe that both are incorrect (no offense).

Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
The plan of God that all people will become strong in the Lord and his promices, and God does not have any motive for his people to become weak, or depriving them of HIS Blessing, but man through logic, rationalism, fear, doctrines that push Holy Spirit away, block the blessing from Heaven and many become weak in their walk with the Lord .... The Lord sees the heart of his Children and when Jesus sees a door for his blessing and gifts than he does go there and gives the Children of God his purpose in the Kingdom of being large or very small, The Children of God must see the Supernatural in the Lord and the blessing is there, In the Whole Book of Ephesslans is set up into three ways for God Children to become strong in the Lord,... The first three chapters explains and teaches on our position, purpose and understanding into God plan for our salvation to Jesus from Heavens perspective,.... The four and fifth chapter gives heaven perpictive on Love and our need to love , .. The sixth chapter gives Heaven perpective on our authority over our salvation and walk in the Lord, and authority over the World and the spirits not of God, ... When Gods Children are strong in all three area of this Book than they will be strong before the Lord......

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,448 times
I haven't ever thought about it,but I don't see any resemblence.I think God knows who His elect are,and or quite possibly,all are saved anyway,it just may take some ppl longer than others to get to that point.I think this may transcend death as well.
So,no,I don't see any resemblence between the two.
btw,did you see the recent article that about 1/3 of extinct species tend to come back?interesting,google that.
blessings

Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Curious to hear thoughts on this..
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit,
and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what
you would. But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law.

"The old nature fights for survival."

Old 10-04-2010, 12:09 AM

Strange, but i feel like no one seems to understand what i'm trying to get at.
Oh well! I guess it's not that important..

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 AM

478 posts, read 772,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The plan of God that all people will become strong in the Lord and his promices, and God does not have any motive for his people to become weak, or depriving them of HIS Blessing, but man through logic, rationalism, fear, doctrines that push Holy Spirit away, block the blessing from Heaven and many become weak in their walk with the Lord .... The Lord sees the heart of his Children and when Jesus sees a door for his blessing and gifts than he does go there and gives the Children of God his purpose in the Kingdom of being large or very small, The Children of God must see the Supernatural in the Lord and the blessing is there, In the Whole Book of Ephesslans is set up into three ways for God Children to become strong in the Lord,... The first three chapters explains and teaches on our position, purpose and understanding into God plan for our salvation to Jesus from Heavens perspective,.... The four and fifth chapter gives heaven perpictive on Love and our need to love , .. The sixth chapter gives Heaven perpective on our authority over our salvation and walk in the Lord, and authority over the World and the spirits not of God, ... When Gods Children are strong in all three area of this Book than they will be strong before the Lord......
Ummm, what?!? Seriously, WHAT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit,
and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what
you would. But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law.

"The old nature fights for survival."

Again- WHAT?!? Sorry, but based on the "verses/quotes" you shared, neither thought, insight, nor any sort of understandable relativity appears to have been provided on your part with regard to the OP. What exactly are you trying to say- in relation to the OP- in your OWN words?!

Quote:

Blessings,
brian
Please, do NOT so quickly assume that because people either aren't responding, or just don't "get" the gist of your OP that it isn't important. If you asked a question, and did so because you wanted to know an answer without ulterior motives (which is clearly the case), then this IS important! Just cos the responses here don't make sense or aren't relevant, don't be so quick to dismiss yourself. Sadly, it isn't that strange...but best to you for trying. Cheers!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:

Blessings,
brian
Your point is crystal clear to me. Interesting concept. Those smart enough (or chosen enough or humble enough - or *insert whatever* - enough) to select Christ survive forever, thus the bad seed is weeded out.

You are a unique thinker. Definitely the first time I've ever heard anything like this. But - most Christians don't dispute that natural selection happens nor micro-evolution, they just dispute macro-evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity