Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM

138 posts, read 181,699 times

Advertisements

There's also the whole galaxy-alignment thing. At 11:11:11 GST, 12/21/12, the whole solar system, including the sun, will align itself through the center of our Milky Way. What is up with that?! The Mayans were phenomenal in their understanding of celestial movements, and today's science shows them to be off in their estimations by mere seconds. Clearly they knew that 12/21/12 would mark this alignment, but I always wonder why they chose that date, that alignment, to end their calendar. Perhaps it really is the case that human life will be impacted by that alignment--not through natural disasters, but in our collective consciousness. I wonder . . .

I once heard an astrophysicist comment on "Astrology." He said, most scientists are going to dismiss astrology as hogwash, and not true science. However, here I am, I have a Ph.D. in astrophysics, and I'm here to tell you that it's real. But here's the thing: it's not that Saturn is impacting you; that the position of the moon has you in its thrall. These tiny planets and moons and so on are not the point. It's that there's something even bigger, further out, and more vast, than anything we can point to, that's impacting Saturn, the moon, etc. All of the universe is thus impacted by this "larger influence," and the trickle-down effect can be seen in modern astrology, which bothers to point to the planets and so on as they rotate about the sun.

Hmm!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
There's also the whole galaxy-alignment thing. At 11:11:11 GST, 12/21/12, the whole solar system, including the sun, will align itself through the center of our Milky Way. What is up with that?! The Mayans were phenomenal in their understanding of celestial movements, and today's science shows them to be off in their estimations by mere seconds. Clearly they knew that 12/21/12 would mark this alignment, but I always wonder why they chose that date, that alignment, to end their calendar. Perhaps it really is the case that human life will be impacted by that alignment--not through natural disasters, but in our collective consciousness. I wonder . . .

I once heard an astrophysicist comment on "Astrology." He said, most scientists are going to dismiss astrology as hogwash, and not true science. However, here I am, I have a Ph.D. in astrophysics, and I'm here to tell you that it's real. But here's the thing: it's not that Saturn is impacting you; that the position of the moon has you in its thrall. These tiny planets and moons and so on are not the point. It's that there's something even bigger, further out, and more vast, than anything we can point to, that's impacting Saturn, the moon, etc. All of the universe is thus impacted by this "larger influence," and the trickle-down effect can be seen in modern astrology, which bothers to point to the planets and so on as they rotate about the sun.

Hmm!!
Will Earth pass through the galactic plane in 2012? | Space | EarthSky

Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM

I've heard these statements coming up recently, and they're off the mark. Some folks have noticed that individuals have become aware of this alignment, so they've started trying to quiet any chaos from ensuring by stating it's a common occurrence. I watched a show on the "History" channel about the galactic alignment, where numerous astrophysicists and planetary scientists discussed this unusual alignment. The show didn't discuss "2012" phenomenon, but instead, approached the topic only as regards deep space. I can't recall the precise number they quoted, but this particular alignment occurs once every 20,000 or 30,000 years -- it is a very rare occurrence (relative to the human life span). As a result, no one is able to say what impact such an alignment would have upon the earth, as there is no historical record of its last occurrence.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:34 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
I always hope that it signifies the beginning of a new (better) time. I keep hoping it's the beginning of an expansion in human consciousness, where we are unable to blot out the horrors we know exist all around us, and instead do something -- to help people, finally. Maybe where we abandon the whole "free market" idea and simply say, we have so much grain we're throwing it into the sea as standard operating procedure -- let's take every piece of that grain and provide it continually to every hungry family in the U.S., Africa, China, Bangladesh . . . etc. And oh, you don't have a health insurance plan, Africans? Well we just woke up and realized you oughtn't need one -- you're human beings and your life has value. We'll give you all the medicinal supplies you require, free of charge -- because your life has greater value than the sum it will cost us to supply these things to you.

Anyone? Rapture and chaos? Or peace and healing? What do you think?
I think people like us are ahead of our time. I keep hoping we are not.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM

My hope is that change can come about, quickly, at that. When the Gulf Oil Crisis hit, I was devastated. But I keep hoping that it will lead us in a new, better direction. Surprisingly, we're still drilling. This was an opportunity for people to say, "We can't do that anymore. It's just not an option." But that may still happen -- that, and other things like it.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 AM

187 posts, read 196,155 times
Quote:
For the ETers, how is the Mayan calendar ending in the year 2012 viewed? Do they see this as supportive evidence, irrelevant, blasphemy . . . ? Does anyone know? Would anyone who believes in ET like to leave their comments? I've never heard both concepts mentioned in the same breath, but have been wondering for some time if "The Rapture" is supposed to coincide with whatever the Mayans foresaw in ending their calendar when they did.

I'm pretty fascinated by the whole 2012 thing, but I don't really believe it marks the end of our world (or life on earth, or human life). I always hope that it signifies the beginning of a new (better) time. I keep hoping it's the beginning of an expansion in human consciousness, where we are unable to blot out the horrors we know exist all around us, and instead do something -- to help people, finally. Maybe where we abandon the whole "free market" idea and simply say, we have so much grain we're throwing it into the sea as standard operating procedure -- let's take every piece of that grain and provide it continually to every hungry family in the U.S., Africa, China, Bangladesh . . . etc. And oh, you don't have a health insurance plan, Africans? Well we just woke up and realized you oughtn't need one -- you're human beings and your life has value. We'll give you all the medicinal supplies you require, free of charge -- because your life has greater value than the sum it will cost us to supply these things to you.

Anyone? Rapture and chaos? Or peace and healing? What do you think?
Enjoyed your posts . I think in opinion there could be a little human race absorption to overall application above.
On a collective level humans will unite when fear of survival is introduced.
If were good can we survive ? Or...if your not good the consequence will be at your doorstep momentarily , end of days.

The morality of the human race cannot be interrupted with an abrupt
and overwhelming fantastic change. It simply contradicts life, nature & integrity of morality.

All must grow , I'm afraid including morality.

Perceived morality ?

That is a very imp query. Behavior , attitude, conscious are all relative.
Morality is relative to collective opportunity in growth , in overall human existance.

It must be comprehended in order to facilitate its fruit. Forced morality is not progress, it is without option.

As we plainly see, the fear mungers are wasting there time even if
the world as we know it becomes inhabitable.

The development of man in opinion is germain to intellectual recognition of self disposition in genuineness. It cannot be forced. A pseudo un worthy un natural product would ensue. Without purpose or intelligible direction.

I see the human life , not in complicated terms but as a plant , a plant that must go through the seasons of growth before it blossoms to its final expectation and purpose. Lets see if CLearNight is still on topic.....

The above suggested growing season can be realized through what..?
What is , or where is the keeper of life ? Wouldn't evidence concerning such a large componant of life have something to offer in regards to predicting design ? Isn't the fear munger ect 2012 speculation attempting to make crude guess's , ignoring the blatantly obvious ?

Yes, draw the curtains my friends and let the sunshine in. It will be working for us for many millions of years or as noted above..."seasons" to come.

Behold the largest evidence of our primitive state. Enjoy it and if you dare,
enjoy the reflection of being a small but neccesary part, in the best you can be , of all that is .

In this self reflection and in proportion to it, you will continue in what must be.

What must be , will be agreeable. If we can only agree !

Last edited by ClearNight; 10-19-2010 at 01:23 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 PM

7 posts, read 8,531 times
"I was really into the end times at one point as a christian. There was this forum that constantly had dates of when the rapture was coming. Every year around September someone would have a "dream" about the rapture happening that month, and when they never came true, they just kind of brushed it aside and just kept coming up with more dates.

After being fooled by it too many times, I pointed it out to them, and I was banned lol.

Eventually I said forget this I'm going to live my life."

I can relate, having spent many years with a religious fringe group and many more to be free of that mindset. I'm still a believer, but I think the date setting does a disservice. I think people *need* others to believe what they believe because it reinforces their own security. When you come along with some logical questions that put a ripple in it, they're ignored or, in your case, you were banned. I won't do "honk if you love Jesus" type affirmations anymore for anyone because it no longer looks like standing up for faith to me. And it all feels less sure to me, but isn't that what faith is about anyways? "Let the day's own trouble suffice for the day." That makes sense from a few directions.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buoy4me View Post
"I was really into the end times at one point as a christian. There was this forum that constantly had dates of when the rapture was coming. Every year around September someone would have a "dream" about the rapture happening that month, and when they never came true, they just kind of brushed it aside and just kept coming up with more dates.

After being fooled by it too many times, I pointed it out to them, and I was banned lol.

I can relate, having spent many years with a religious fringe group and many more to be free of that mindset. I'm still a believer, but I think the date setting does a disservice. I think people *need* others to believe what they believe because it reinforces their own security. When you come along with some logical questions that put a ripple in it, they're ignored or, in your case, you were banned. I won't do "honk if you love Jesus" type affirmations anymore for anyone because it no longer looks like standing up for faith to me. And it all feels less sure to me, but isn't that what faith is about anyways? "Let the day's own trouble suffice for the day." That makes sense from a few directions.
A voice of reason...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buoy4me View Post

May God have mercy on all those date setters and dreamers of visions who cause fear and chaos in the minds of others. We all know what happened to those kinds of people in the Old Testament.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM

430 posts, read 583,696 times
Default Buy my book: "Fear mongering made easy!"

Regarding that stupifying video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I wonder how much money the Impe's made off of that book alone?
A lot, I'm betting, but I'm sure that will pale into the shadows on the still-to-come hype that will precede the Mayan calendar countdown.

I wonder; how does one get in on making the easy big money on such easily terrified ignorance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity