Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times

Advertisements

shibumi,check my profile;perhaps we can have a bookfest or a book-a-thon together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM

430 posts, read 583,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
and look what they did w the oil spill...all kinds of fear-mongering scenarios, that didn't come to pass!

did I miss anything??
"Didn't come to pass"? Really? Who says so? Actually, don't put too much store in what the likes of Rush Limbaugh have stated as fact about the Gulf Oil Spill. For fun and eduction, why not invest only $5.99 in the October 2010 National Geographic which covers, of all things, "The Spill: Stories you didn't hear, pictures you didn't see..."

(BTW, wasn't this spill touted by many ET Christians as "the beginning of the end"? They wouldn't be sensationalistic opportunists, now would they?

I know, I know; it's all lies... But my biologist/ecologist friends down there tell me, in dismaying detail, that the destruction is far from being properly cataloged yet, but that it is and will be devastating. Rush's arrogant claim a few weeks ago about Mother Nature taking care of it all turns out to be just a bunch of big oil BS, taken on-air by their No. 1 Media Hack, and therefore believed without so much as a small question mark by those who want big biz's continued personal benefits (gluttony, greed and rampant consumerism [though free credit!]) to return unabated.

No wonder Rush gets to live in filthy wealth & Luxury. It's also too bad we can't force him to live right on the well-oiled Gulf Coast and drink water from those soon-to-be polluted inland fresh water wells.

Sensationalism is in constant play via our greedy media types. It's what sells prime-time advertising, or in the case of the Impey's nonsense video, sales of home videos to innocent but uneducated types.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times
yeah I'd like to see Rush wash a few birds myself! I think he could make better use of his hands than he does his mouth.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM

187 posts, read 196,155 times
Its handy for people who think about the end for themselves too much. All this end of days.

Lets all go together ! Why not!

Now , I am not alone in this.

Perfect escape .

Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearNight View Post
Its handy for people who think about the end for themselves too much. All this end of days.

Lets all go together ! Why not!

Now , I am not alone in this.

Perfect escape .
I almost replied - but then realized I didn't understand your post.

Please elaborate.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM

200 posts, read 252,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buoy4me View Post
I can relate, having spent many years with a religious fringe group and many more to be free of that mindset. I'm still a believer, but I think the date setting does a disservice. I think people *need* others to believe what they believe because it reinforces their own security. When you come along with some logical questions that put a ripple in it, they're ignored or, in your case, you were banned. I won't do "honk if you love Jesus" type affirmations anymore for anyone because it no longer looks like standing up for faith to me. And it all feels less sure to me, but isn't that what faith is about anyways? "Let the day's own trouble suffice for the day." That makes sense from a few directions.
Very good point. I think, too, that when people see a date set and believe it, they're also thinking in terms of how all those "evil people" are finally gonna get theirs. Sad.

Last edited by Snuffy63; 10-20-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Removing random alpha/numeric characters. Anyone know why that happens?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I almost replied - but then realized I didn't understand your post.

Please elaborate.
Thankyou for asking, truly.

Well, depression is popular and by definition would promote an end in the healthy demeanor in looking forward to things . ( ie reasonable joy, reasonable sadness , an over all balance in the complete human life.)

As well, for many the aging process, entails retirement, time for reflection of many things that beforehand may not have been given the time or possible dwelling.

Other than the brainwashed, and vulnerable, it may be above groups represent a good deal of the fear munger fan group. To explain,

In both category's there is a propensity to dwell on conclusion to ones life.
Not in all, but the "graph" goes in this direction. Reality will be reality.

As well , there are implications of guilt and atonement which play a role in the life contemplating conclusion and finish.
The "idea put forward" of a end for all is a helpful distraction on two levels.

1) A super imposing of the drama in finality to "all", the end of days would relieve a feeling of rejection. IE " Life is rejecting, "Me".
In above the collective participation in dooms day rejects "all life"
The self "target" is eliminated.

2) The conscious is a very powerful aspect in self perception. Consequently, fairness in treatment through fate is almost impossible to detach one self from. It is simply human , and reflects quite a bit of what we experience. Bind to it , all sorts of spiritual direction , illogical and logical, the over all result in above groups..... is an attraction to reparation and promiss in comfort through
"freedom of self in registry to these contemporary cults. A desperate need for direction. Personal direction has all but failed .That of course would include an agreement to be in keeping with the guidelines of reconciliation suggested.

Thank you for asking and , I have to go to work. This was written quickly
but , perhaps thats best in sincerity to the query.

Last edited by ClearNight; 10-20-2010 at 03:10 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 03:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
The horrible thing about fear is how contagious it can be . The record in the OT of the children of Israel is a great example of that .I tend to believe much of what we call faith is really fear(dressed up to look like faith)

Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The horrible thing about fear is how contagious it can be . The record in the OT of the children of Israel is a great example of that .I tend to believe much of what we call faith is really fear(dressed up to look like faith)
In my opinion , this is a massive area of thought. What is fear ?

Threat to physical, social, and ease in order of conscious. Suggesting, pain
solitude and lack of peace in that order.

Fear would be considered the least of all virtue among key theologians. Reason being is that it presents, "force" in required behaviour. Opposed to choice in thought, together with comprehension in what is rational.

Good Deity's , or movements with substance will orbit reason in aspiring
goal towards satisfying enrollment.

For example...Charity, Prudence,Patience. For mans special ability in reason, reason is in highlight.

Moreover, choice , the fundamental aspect of our individuality is allowed
to negotiate decision. Choice causing self knowledge in identity. Full in reason, the individual now has direction together with......reason.

The logical directive in virtue, not fear, stimulating stability in self and
"merit" in contribution with others.

My opinion is that the writer of above post would be a "decent individual"
The evidence would be in the diminished overview of "fear being dressed up to look like faith".
Allowing little regard for value in something that is forced as explained above would be rather decent. Good clear thinking has its rewards.

The assumption is that there is more than "fear" to mans dimension.

The easy unfolding answer is , a person , above all , will do well in

choosing, to be decent.

Last edited by ClearNight; 10-20-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearNight View Post
This was written quickly
but , perhaps thats best in sincerity to the query.
It's painting a picture. I'm grasping it to an extent (or maybe more than I'm willing to admit?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity