Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:02 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Yep. Back in one of the 80's predictions of Jesus' return (the 40th year after the birth of modern Israel?) some were charging up credit cards like there was no tomorrow, except, oops... there WAS a tomorrow
Guess they missed the part in the Bible where God says to 'own no man nothing but love'.

Even if He was coming tomorrow....the rules don't change today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
For the ETers, how is the Mayan calendar ending in the year 2012 viewed?
I think it is a hoot when ET christians give any credence to 2012 being the end of the world or something.

It shows the fallacy of their beliefs, as they are basing this on a pagan calendar. So much for their stance about their god being the only one, no false gods ...... blah blah.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 PM

503 posts, read 927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
God ain't coming, for the very simple reason there are no gods.
That's rather arrogant and godlike to make such a statement, isn't it? How can you definatively state that something you know nothing about isn't true (except through arrogance, of course)?

Color exists even though a color blind man can't see it.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
That's rather arrogant and godlike to make such a statement, isn't it? How can you definatively state that something you know nothing about isn't true (except through arrogance, of course)?

Color exists even though a color blind man can't see it.
Actually a colour blind man can see it, a blind man can't.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 PM

503 posts, read 927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
For the ETers, how is the Mayan calendar ending in the year 2012 viewed? Do they see this as supportive evidence, irrelevant, blasphemy . . . ? Does anyone know? Would anyone who believes in ET like to leave their comments? I've never heard both concepts mentioned in the same breath, but have been wondering for some time if "The Rapture" is supposed to coincide with whatever the Mayans foresaw in ending their calendar when they did.
You folks are painting with the wrong brush. The types of people who go gaga over prophecy and the end of the world are called futurists and dispensationalists, not ETers.

Regarding 2012, I can predict exactly what will happen. The rapture will not occur, and the world will not end. You can take that to the bank.

The Mayans didn't foresee anything. The calender ends in 2012 because the great cycle ends in 2012. If they were still around I'm sure they would have another calender ready, just as we do at the end of every year.

Last edited by daveatgso; 12-26-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
indeed;the mayans did not create a perpetual calendar,so it HAS to end somewhere.it just happened to end in 2012.nbd.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Default Why am I not surprised?

The year's done. Virtually none of the fantastic predictions in the OP materialized.

I thought maybe one prophet of doom may get a lucky break before Jan. 1 and claim some substantiation but - it was not to be.

In the mean time - did the site take all the crap down?

No.

Millennium Ark: Hot News

Still there in all it's non-glory.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
The History Channel's airing of Prophets of Doom last night was surreal.

Quote:
Today's world has troubles unique to its time in history, from the global financial crisis to technological meltdowns to full scale, computerized global war. Observing the convergence of such events, contemporary prophets have begun to emerge from obscurity to suggest that these conditions might be signs of the demise of the modern world. These men are historians as well, using all manner of information and patterns from the past to provide context for where we are going. Their predictions interpret the current state of affairs in our world as evidence that the America we know may come to an end. The men proposing these ideas are not crackpots living on the streets of New York; they are intelligent, learned men who come armed with the evidence to back up their claims.
I was raised believing that the Bride will be prepared through hardship and overcoming, and that America will be brought to her knees - I've got a feeling that the day of reckoning is coming, though it will be used to bring forth the man-child in the saints.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The History Channel's airing of Prophets of Doom last night was surreal.
I've noticed a LOT of end time stuff airing on the History channel - Nostradamus' predictions etc.

It goes to show just how superstitious and gullible the masses can be.

Apparently he history channel can't make money anymore just doing regular history so they have to turn to mysterious end time predictions and all kinds of wild stuff.

I admit though - I found their bit on ancient alien civilizations fun to watch .

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM

86 posts, read 260,063 times
I grew up in a pentecostal home and cut my teeth on rapture theories. I spent my whole childhood convinced that I wouldn't graduate from high school because the Lord was returning in 1988 because that was 40 years after Israel got their land back and 40 years was a generation.

Then it was going to happen at around the year 2000. My dad bought some book by Sid Roth and told me that "The Bible says no man knows the day nor hour, but it doesn't say no man knows the year." So basing it on Sid Roth's predictions the rapture was going to occur on Rosh Hashanah between 1996-2004. He said we had to give or take by 4 years either way because some of the calculations of Jesus' birth were suspect by 4 years.

Then my Dad continually told me that the Lord told him he wasn't going to die because he was going to be raptured. He died last year.

I basically grew up thinking I would never get married, never have kids, never have a career because the Lord was coming any day. That is a terrible way to grow up and I am sure that the Lord didn't give us this life to fritter it away wishing for escape.

The problem with the fear mongering, we are out of here sect is that they dismiss the need to use wisdom and plan for a future. I know more folks that I grew up with that are now working minimum wage jobs because they chose to either not go to college or went to Bible college because the Lord was coming back, what did they need a degree for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity