Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
That's not what bigamy is defined as in Utah.

Search the Utah Code (http://le.utah.gov/dtForms/code.html - broken link)

76-7-101. Bigamy -- Defense.
(1) A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife or knowing the other person has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.

It took me seconds to find that law... I just can't imagine a lawyer or someone they knew or even one of them not looking up the laws in Utah and realizing that coming out in the open was going to have consequences.

They are purporting that they are all married to Kody. Being legally married doesn't matter in Utah.

Before you criticize Utah for their bigamy law, you have to realize that they were denied statehood several times because of polygamy, so I think because of this they have made their bigamy laws a little more stringent in an effort to try and show that they truly are against polygamy.
Or cohabits with another person? What? That is pretty vague. So if my parents bring grandma home to live with them, they are committing bigamy? Or they rent out the downstairs bedroom to a college student, and they are committing bigamy?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Or cohabits with another person? What? That is pretty vague. So if my parents bring grandma home to live with them, they are committing bigamy? Or they rent out the downstairs bedroom to a college student, and they are committing bigamy?
It is vague, but it's a rarely prosecuted law. Utah has some really odd laws on their books (not kidding, heels over 3 inches high are illegal). And renting a portion of your home is not the same as having someone cohabit in the home with you. It's a legal contract and is not in violation of the law.

But the point is, the Browns are violating 2 parts of the bigamy law, and in my opinion the one that got them investigated was that they were purporting that they were all married to Kody.

I don't think they ever actually charged with anything though. The state had to investigate when they decided to do the TV show, but that was awhile ago and nothing has happened since.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Funny isn't it. They seem so much happier than the family I came from but no one, and many knew, stood up my brother and me. What good is a law if it only serves to tear families apart and fails to protect the ones who have no voice?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Funny isn't it. They seem so much happier than the family I came from but no one, and many knew, stood up my brother and me. What good is a law if it only serves to tear families apart and fails to protect the ones who have no voice?
Like I pointed out, the law was created more behind what happened when Utah became a state. They were denied statehood for accepting the practice of polygamy and it took them 6 years after they stopped practicing to still receive statehood. Because of that struggle the state I think was a little over zealous when writing their bigamy laws.

But... the Browns (as far as I know) were never actually prosecuted. They were just investigated, I honestly don't think the state had a desire to prosecute them but were obligated to investigate because of the TV show.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
This thread is very little about Christianity and very big about politics..

C L O S E D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity