U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,691,905 times
Reputation: 1312

Advertisements

So what is your opinion of 'Sister Wives' Star Kody Brown could face charges of bigamy charges in Utah or should we consider it "bigofme"

The national news reported that part of his defense is that Utah (despite laws against it) keeps a blind eye to it.. being that there are an estimated 38,000 cases of that in Utah and this is a case of "selective prosecution".

That part of his defense is that he is legally married to one and the other three are his "spiritual wives". And apparently these other women have no problem to it.

How big of a can of worms does this open .....
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,892 posts, read 7,715,426 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
So what is your opinion of 'Sister Wives' Star Kody Brown could face charges of bigamy charges in Utah or should we consider it "bigofme"

The national news reported that part of his defense is that Utah (despite laws against it) keeps a blind eye to it.. being that there are an estimated 38,000 cases of that in Utah and this is a case of "selective prosecution".

That part of his defense is that he is legally married to one and the other three are his "spiritual wives". And apparently these other women have no problem to it.

How big of a can of worms does this open .....
A waste of time, if it invloved child marriages and compound living I can see getting involved. Leave them alone.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,187 posts, read 7,174,330 times
Reputation: 2177
He is breaking the law and on top of that has a show parading it around. If that isn't stupid, I don't know what is. It would be one thing if he didn't have a show but now he is just asking to have an example made of him which frankly law enforcement authorities love. I don't think that there is a ton of harm in what he is doing FWIW - no one is forcing any of the wives to be in the relationship (whereas places like Colorado City and other compounds clearly force girls and women into plural marriage), but the fact is he is breaking the law...and why they thought that having a show on TLC wouldn't create attention towards his illegal lifestyle is beyond me. If he gets away with plural marriage, it will only give a defense to the freaks in those compounds like Warren Jeffs, etc. to stop any charges against them.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,892 posts, read 7,715,426 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
He is breaking the law and on top of that has a show parading it around. If that isn't stupid, I don't know what is. It would be one thing if he didn't have a show but now he is just asking to have an example made of him which frankly law enforcement authorities love. I don't think that there is a ton of harm in what he is doing FWIW - no one is forcing any of the wives to be in the relationship (whereas places like Colorado City and other compounds clearly force girls and women into plural marriage), but the fact is he is breaking the law...and why they thought that having a show on TLC wouldn't create attention towards his illegal lifestyle is beyond me. If he gets away with plural marriage, it will only give a defense to the freaks in those compounds like Warren Jeffs, etc. to stop any charges against them.
He is only legally married to the first wife, so it really isn't illegal.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,187 posts, read 7,174,330 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
He is only legally married to the first wife, so it really isn't illegal.
Although it is rarely prosecuted, bigamy is a third-degree felony in Utah, punishable by a prison term of up to five years. Under the Utah law, a person can be found guilty of bigamy through cohabitation, not just legal marriage contracts.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,892 posts, read 7,715,426 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Although it is rarely prosecuted, bigamy is a third-degree felony in Utah, punishable by a prison term of up to five years. Under the Utah law, a person can be found guilty of bigamy through cohabitation, not just legal marriage contracts.
Ya I have heard that, unless you see them having sex they can claim to be roommates.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,392,108 times
Reputation: 253
wouldn't an admission of having sex with him,or better yet...birth of his child,also be considered proof? surely...
anyway...TLC is definitely lowering it's standards....not that they ever really had any w the kind of exploitation they tend to put on,but...perhaps a boycott of the entire network is called for.(at least by me!)
it's all about money for tlc...there's not much learning there.just weirdness factors of late.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,187 posts, read 7,174,330 times
Reputation: 2177
Does anyone believe that TLC really wants to get them prosecuted? That they set this family up? It would make for good TV to show them being arrested, the kids being taken away, etc. Nearly all of their reality show families have divorced or are on their way to being divorced. It does suck that the first wife was fired because of the show. I bet that will be shown on an episode. Their misfortune will make TLC's fortune.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-15-2010, 06:38 AM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,595,475 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
He is breaking the law and on top of that has a show parading it around. If that isn't stupid, I don't know what is. It would be one thing if he didn't have a show but now he is just asking to have an example made of him which frankly law enforcement authorities love. I don't think that there is a ton of harm in what he is doing FWIW - no one is forcing any of the wives to be in the relationship (whereas places like Colorado City and other compounds clearly force girls and women into plural marriage), but the fact is he is breaking the law...and why they thought that having a show on TLC wouldn't create attention towards his illegal lifestyle is beyond me. If he gets away with plural marriage, it will only give a defense to the freaks in those compounds like Warren Jeffs, etc. to stop any charges against them.

If he is only married to one of the women he is not breaking the law. They seem happy, kids well cared for. Leave them alone.

He is not at all like Warren Jeffs.....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 AM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,892 posts, read 7,715,426 times
Reputation: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
wouldn't an admission of having sex with him,or better yet...birth of his child,also be considered proof? surely...
anyway...TLC is definitely lowering it's standards....not that they ever really had any w the kind of exploitation they tend to put on,but...perhaps a boycott of the entire network is called for.(at least by me!)
it's all about money for tlc...there's not much learning there.just weirdness factors of late.
Roommates and friends have sex and have kids all the time, is it really a good use of the court system to dig into their lives?

That is the great thing about hundreds of channels, something for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Does anyone believe that TLC really wants to get them prosecuted? That they set this family up? It would make for good TV to show them being arrested, the kids being taken away, etc. Nearly all of their reality show families have divorced or are on their way to being divorced. It does suck that the first wife was fired because of the show. I bet that will be shown on an episode. Their misfortune will make TLC's fortune.
I thought it was only a 7 episode show? They are getting about 2 million viewers per show so I bet they will re-up it.

If she didn't sign some decency clause she may have a lawsuit.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top