U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,795,256 times

Advertisements

What does this Bible verse mean?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,249,368 times
It means that, as it was translated into English, that it seems to mean that no matter how important or powerful a man might become in the world, if he is untrue to what he really is down deep inside, he hasn't gained anything.

You really need to include this verse along the the others before and after to get the entire gist of what is being said. It's one of those vague ones that have a lot of meaning ONLY when you consider yourself in relationship to the Christ.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,856,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It means that, as it was translated into English, that it seems to mean that no matter how important or powerful a man might become in the world, if he is untrue to what he really is down deep inside, he hasn't gained anything.

You really need to include this verse along the the others before and after to get the entire gist of what is being said. It's one of those vague ones that have a lot of meaning ONLY when you consider yourself in relationship to the Christ.
Agreed. There's noting on this side of eternity worth giving up the rewards on the other side of eternity. Temporary wealth, power, and honor is just that....temporary.

Set your eyes on the things greater than the things you can set your eyes on.

How's that for clearing something up by making it harder to perceive!?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,706,591 times
Luke 9:23-26

23And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

24For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

25For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

26For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

I believe this could be said like this:

What does it profit a man if he gains all the riches and status that this world can give, but in the process, forgets who he really is, never finds out who he could have been with God, and misses out on spiritual riches, which outlast wordly riches and can only be obtained from God?

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-06-2007 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: bolding Jeff 9:25

Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 PM

22,025 posts, read 31,273,770 times
Luke 9:25 "And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process?"

Nothing material can compensate for the loss of eternal life.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,780,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Luke 9:25 "And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process?"

Nothing material can compensate for the loss of eternal life.
Yep, what she said!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 28,406 times
I believe that one soul is more important to God than this whole world. This world is meaningless and less than meaningless.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 PM

42 posts, read 236,320 times
I Love North Carolina (not really) but he/she has it right. it's saying, in the eyes of God, each one of us are more precious than the world itself. Given that we are not the whole world. we live in it.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,209,641 times
Phl 3:8Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ,

Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 PM

763 posts, read 2,085,747 times
This passage is talking about perishing; it has to do with the salvation of the soul; life in the coming Kingdom age.

"Perishing" is the Greek word "apollumi". Let’s look at a few passages that contain the word “apollumi” or “to lose one’s life”. The first time this word is used in the NT is when Herod is seeking to destroy the Lord Jesus Christ, before he put to death the babies that were two years old and under. [Matthew 2:13 says, “And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.] So, we can see how the word was first used, and then we can look at the different flavors of the word.

[Luke 9:23-24a: And he said to them all, If any man [anyone] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it.] This is future, active, indicative. Future meaning that he will lose it in the coming age. Active meaning that he is the one who did the losing of it. Why? Because he was gaining his own life. Indicative meaning there is not doubt about it: He will lose it. Any Christian who will put himself first and the Lord second will lose his life in the coming Kingdom; in the age to come.

[24b: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.] This is interesting in that it’s aorist, active, subjunctive. Active in that the individual is involved in putting his present ambitions or desires to death or destroying them. And the subjunctive mood implies there is the possibility of failure. There is the possibility that we can fail to put our life down, or to mortify our members; we need to put our life down, but there’s the possibility that we can fail.

We see this all over the place. People come to a saving knowledge of the Lord; they come into the deeper knowledge of the truth; then fall away from it. There’s definitely the possibility of us failing.

[Luke 9:25: For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself (Here is the word apollumi), or be cast away?] This is the same word used in Matthew 16:26: “Shall lose his own soul.” This is the same word found in 1 Corinthians 3:15, about suffering loss. And the word cast away, is not the same word Paul used in 1 Corinthians 9:27, which says, “…When I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” The word there is “disapproved”; the Greek word “adokimos”. Here, in Luke 9:25, the idea is “disqualified” or “forfeited”.

So we can see how Christians at the Judgment Seat of Christ who built their lives around wood, hay, and stubble shall suffer loss and yet be saved, so as through fire. They are in the family; they are not destined for everlasting separation from God in the lake of fire. Yet, there is no reward; no positions of authority; no sharing of the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ in his coming Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity