Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,627 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how unified you feel with all Christians? There are so many different denominations in Christianity it's hard sometimes to think of all of us as a family. I think a lot of times a big divider is Catholic and Protestant (I'm kind of both being an Episcopalian). So, what do you think we can do as Christians to strengthen the bond between us all? I think maybe organizing a monthly meeting of just all Christians together for praise would be nice, or inviting someone from a different denomination to visit your church, or even a yearly meeting (Roman Catholics are good at this but I don't think they work enough with smaller churches) of leaders would be nice. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I was just wondering how unified you feel with all Christians? There are so many different denominations in Christianity it's hard sometimes to think of all of us as a family. I think a lot of times a big divider is Catholic and Protestant (I'm kind of both being an Episcopalian). So, what do you think we can do as Christians to strengthen the bond between us all? I think maybe organizing a monthly meeting of just all Christians together for praise would be nice, or inviting someone from a different denomination to visit your church, or even a yearly meeting (Roman Catholics are good at this but I don't think they work enough with smaller churches) of leaders would be nice. What do you think?
Personally, I feel outside of it all..
However, I do feel connected to the mystical body of Christ in my heart.. I think many people feel the same thing, whether they are members of a denomination or not..

Blessings!
Brian

Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
Well, I'm not very religious these days but in the church that I grew up in, Assemblies of God, we didn't really mix denominations and were loyal to one physical church. We respected everyone that acknowledged Jesus Christ but had a slight tendency to view other denominations as sort of different. Of course everyone was welcome, however, into our church--didn't matter what you were, homeless, CEO, rock star, gay, yellow, black, brown, white, mormon, catholic, buddhist, jewish, hooker, nun, rich, poor--all were equally welcome. I personally don't feel out of place at Protestant churches.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Well, I'm not very religious these days but in the church that I grew up in, Assemblies of God, we didn't really mix denominations and were loyal to one physical church. We respected everyone that acknowledged Jesus Christ but had a slight tendency to view other denominations as sort of different. Of course everyone was welcome, however, into our church--didn't matter what you were, homeless, CEO, rock star, gay, yellow, black, brown, white, mormon, catholic, buddhist, jewish, hooker, nun, rich, poor--all were equally welcome. I personally don't feel out of place at Protestant churches.
I think that's beautiful your church you grew up in is so welcoming, but that's exactly what I mean, this idea of feeling 'different' I think would be great to address. We need more focus on bringing all Christians together, celebrating both diversity and a collective love of Christ. I don't like that there's so much of 'you do your thing I'll do mine'. We need more collective Christian time to get to know all faiths better and I think we need to be more united somehow. It would be great if all Christians could all be in communion together. Like, elliminating the idea of Luther as a heretic would be a great step in Catholicism and instead recognizing the door was opened to have places where everyone feels at home to worship.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
I feel like an outsider, very disconnected from it all but that's ok....I second what Ahigherway said. I'm more connected right here at C-D than anywhere else.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
There are two kinds of people, those who believe we are saved though faith in Christ, and those who believe otherwise (reject Christ outright, or believe that everyone is saved with, or without faith). Denominations do not matter to me, but it would be strange to worship with people who reject Christ, or insist he was a man, not son of God, or reject core teaching of Jesus Christ such as salvation through faith in Christ.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 AM

yea I believe we are all saved in the end, but I would like a stronger connection with people who believe differently because we all love Jesus and it's just a difference of what we think/believe Jesus has in store for humanity that's all.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
Quote:
yea I believe we are all saved in the end, but I would like a stronger connection with people who believe differently because we all love Jesus and it's just a difference of what we think/believe Jesus has in store for humanity that's all.

You've come to the right place if you're a Universalist, it's the only real place to connect with like-minded people. It's a nice sentiment to want to be more in harmony with other believers but it's impossible to get others to be that accepting, as accepting as you are. That has to come from within, one believer at a time and cannot be forced. Right here on this board you can see the hatred and utter disgust that some people have for those who think or believe differently than they do. I'm afraid you're hoping for something that will never be. But we can still hope and dream.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Right here on this board you can see the hatred and utter disgust that some people have for those who think or believe differently than they do. I'm afraid you're hoping for something that will never be. But we can still hope and dream
Sad, but true. I have been called all kinds of names here Moderator cut: commenting on moderator action

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 08:10 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
Quote:
I think that's beautiful your church you grew up in is so welcoming, but that's exactly what I mean, this idea of feeling 'different' I think would be great to address. We need more focus on bringing all Christians together, celebrating both diversity and a collective love of Christ. I don't like that there's so much of 'you do your thing I'll do mine'. We need more collective Christian time to get to know all faiths better and I think we need to be more united somehow. It would be great if all Christians could all be in communion together. Like, elliminating the idea of Luther as a heretic would be a great step in Catholicism and instead recognizing the door was opened to have places where everyone feels at home to worship.
That would be nice. I know I would side with any TRUE Christian before I would a non-Christian. I think people--pastors and members of the congregation-- would have a problem with mixing their beliefs and practices. I don't know how well things would go over if a group of Catholics, who worship Mary and use symbolism, for example, were to be in the same church as a group of Pentecostals who practice the baptism in the Holy Spirit and do not pray to Mary. Don't know how well a Mormon man with 5 wives would go over in either of the above?

Someone like Joel Osteen does a great job of finding common ground and appealing to the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity