Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 16,019 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am struggling with something. I am definitely a Christian and fully believe that Jesus is the way to salvation. However, my mother always tells me that ghosts and other "paranormal" things are of the devil and Christians should not buy into those things.

My take is....who are we to say? We believe in an afterlife, so it seems possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrolsoul View Post
Hi. I am struggling with something. I am definitely a Christian and fully believe that Jesus is the way to salvation. However, my mother always tells me that ghosts and other "paranormal" things are of the devil and Christians should not buy into those things.

My take is....who are we to say? We believe in an afterlife, so it seems possible.

Then the Holy Ghost is of the devil.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Then the Holy Ghost is of the devil.

The Holy Spirit is part of God though..... ghosts are dead humans.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM

488 posts, read 1,253,579 times
well.. I don't believe in specters haunting people... it is a figment of people's imagination

Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
well.. I don't believe in specters haunting people... it is a figment of people's imagination

I dunno...I am kinda skeptical myself but look at the evidence for ghosts [URL]http://theparanormalguide.com/ghost.htm[/URL] [url]http://paranormal.about.com/od/ghostphotos/ig/Best-Ghost-Photos/[/url]

Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrolsoul View Post
The Holy Spirit is part of God though..... ghosts are dead humans.

Using a different term doesn't change anything if Ghosts and the paranormal are unChristian, then so is the holy spirit because it is of that realm.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Using a different term doesn't change anything if Ghosts and the paranormal are unChristian, then so is the holy spirit because it is of that realm.

true i guess you're right I'll bust that out next time we talk

Old 11-11-2010, 04:47 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,814,574 times
Terminology is a funny thing. I consider most parts of the bible that refer to "In the spirit or the holy ghost" as astral projection where people are physically outside of their body. Specifically the parts later on where they talk about the silver cord. You can't know that without getting outside of your body somehow, like a near death experience or astral projection.

I don't know that I would call anything a ghost. It's more than likely someone who died and refuses to leave the earth realm for some reason or another. Wrongful death, bitter, alcoholic, can't let go of something, or perhaps it's as simple as they don't realize they're dead. Any number of reasons. They're not of the devil though. Then again I don't believe in the devil.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM

86 posts, read 428,967 times
I believe God has angels to help him. And so i believe the devil has his "evil spirits" that may linger here on earth that may haunt/harm people. But I think that as long as you realize that God is all powerful and that he reigns over all things here on earth and in heaven should make you feel assured that the goodness of God conquers any spirit.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,327,916 times
I believe wholeheartedly in ghosts. I believe Free Will is a part of us after we die, and that some "people" refuse to move towards The Light.

Spirits are heavenly souls, though, and I think they visit us. I do know this ~ after my daughter died I, and many of her friends, experienced many strange and interesting "things" that convinced all of us that she was coming around once in awhile. I've no reason to think they were anything but a form of after-death communication, and they were all good experiences and feelings. And they definitely strengthened my faith in God. Doesn't sound like the works of a devil to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity