Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,528,976 times

Advertisements

Luke 9:62
Jesus replied,"No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

I have been taught that this lesson from Jesus is that work needs to be put into priority, like "the you can't have two masters" .... money or God.

If your employer hired you after you made that specifically clear that church comes before work and now requires you to work Christmas Eve until 7 pm, (even the local Wal-Mart closes at 6) which would force you to miss the Church service... what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,648,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Jesus replied,"No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

I have been taught that this lesson from Jesus is that work needs to be put into priority, like "the you can't have two masters" .... money or God.

If your employer hired you after you made that specifically clear that church comes before work and now requires you to work Christmas Eve until 7 pm, (even the local Wal-Mart closes at 6) which would force you to miss the Church service... what would you do?
Well I know what I would do, but I certainly don't speak for anyone but myself. I'm notorious for standing up for myself, other people, animals and any kind of injustice, so the door would be hitting me in the rear end on the way out. God has always provided when I've done this. People should not fear losing a job, they should fear losing their integrity and values. But, again....that's just me.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

5,527 posts, read 7,372,803 times
Quote:

I'd go to the midnight service

Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,562,465 times
If you and he agreed that you considered Christmas Eve a church day, then yes he should abide with that..If you only specified that you had to have Sundays off for church, then he is correct..My H recently came out of retirement..When he was intervied for this job (which is a 2nd shift job) he specifically told them that he could not work on Wednesday night or all day Sunday, because of his committment to his church..They wrote that down, and hired him..No Wednesday or Sundays..My H is off Christmas Eve this year because it is on Wednesday..He is working on Christmas as it is on Thursday..
Maybe you could have someone record the services for you?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,759,383 times
Servants, in all things do the orders of your natural masters (my boss-lol); not only when their eyes are on you, as pleasers of men, but with all your heart, fearing the Lord:

I too have to work Christmas eve..I dont wanna..but I do need a job..so I will be there will bells on (not literally of course)

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,567,737 times
Jesus replied,"No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God

I take that to mean that if you have taken up Christ's cross to follow Him, and decide to put it down and go back into your old life, you are not fit for service in His kingdom. I have never thought of it otherwise.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 PM

14,921 posts, read 17,256,500 times
Quote:
If you and he agreed that you considered Christmas Eve a church day, then yes he should abide with that..If you only specified that you had to have Sundays off for church, then he is correct..My H recently came out of retirement..When he was intervied for this job (which is a 2nd shift job) he specifically told them that he could not work on Wednesday night or all day Sunday, because of his committment to his church..They wrote that down, and hired him..No Wednesday or Sundays..My H is off Christmas Eve this year because it is on Wednesday..He is working on Christmas as it is on Thursday..
Maybe you could have someone record the services for you?
I agree. God bless.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,021,152 times
Go to work, but whine about it every chance you get.

For crying out loud, you have a job. You have any idea how many people have lost theirs? I have an idea, don't go to work, go to church instead. That way when people don't get served in your store, they go elsewhere. And in going else where you AND that scrooge of a boss can be looking for work somewhere else when his business shuts down.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,677,745 times
Quote:

Hello twinspin I believe that when you are "in sevice" for the Lord, that also extends into every area of your life, including your place of work...because you must work, to earn a wage, to pay your bills, to eat and take care of and feed your family (if indeed you have a family to feed). Be gracious and in love be understanding also to those who employ you, especially in these times..it is very hard out there both for the employee and the employer...a job is a precious commodity right now...so, in your decisions, use wisdom...God is in your heart, wherever you are, and He honors the labor of your hands...your love and understanding of your boss could very well be the avenue that God is using to bless him/her through you...so you are not serving two masters...you are only serving the One by the love you show and the light that shinees through you to others. God bless you...Love

Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,410,401 times
Just because you have to work during a service doesn't mean you've "looked back." All of these services are man made anyhow. Especially Christmas eve! You can pull one single scripture that says you have to be at EVERY service your congregation has. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity