U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,226,375 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

It is often said that man is the abode of God, but his abode, like a house needs to be clean for the visitor to come in. Sin like dirt keeps the house unclean and unworthy of the Holy Spirit. The Holy spirit is Holy, it means that our daily activities like anger, taking medications, and most of all sex all cause uncleanness in our bodies making us unworthy of the Holy Spirit.

I want to focus on the most controversial which is Sex. Most of us think that marriage is a license to unlimited sex and that indeed sex in marriage is not a sin. I Am sorry to disappoint you but sex in marriage is a sin because it defiles the abode of the Holy Spirit.

From the word of Christ it is clear that the people worthy for the kingdom of God are the Virgins or the 144,000. It means that celibacy and holiness count a lot with God.

Luke 20

It means that the rest of us are saved not by our righteousness but by his mercy and grace. His exact requirement is chastity, otherwise we are the children of the world. But I guess even the children of the world are graduated on a God scale of righteousness.

Let me dwell on Paul's teaching, which advocated marriage as a last resort and as a better alternative to wanton sex.

1 Cor

1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman.
2 Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

It is clear that Paul struggled with this topic because he understood the setting under which he thought. His general conclusion is instructive.

29 But this I say, brethren, the time [is] short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing [it]: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

In other words keep your Sanctity and celibacy even in marriage as the time is short.

Finally he advises in 1Cor 7:5

Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.


In giving this advise, Paul understood that fasting and prayer times are periods couples come close to God and invite the Holy Spirit in their lives, by removing the sin of sex in their lives. It is only when you practice fasting and prayer after sex, that God can hear your prayer either as a couple or individuals.

Lastly Hebrews 12:

14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:



Holiness is an important part of relationship with our spouse and with continued sex and lack of fasting and repentance , how can we see the grace of God.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 11,786,234 times
Reputation: 12565
Lol, nice thing about this believe is it's self-correcting. Any group of people that have this belief die out before too long.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,752 posts, read 3,710,025 times
Reputation: 2036
I am such a sinner. Over, and over, and over, and over again. But I'm pretty sure there's some book that says we all are.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
 
313 posts, read 826,524 times
Reputation: 173
Sex within the arrangement of marriage is not a sin and is not unclean. God is the author of the marriage arrangement.

Hebrews 13:4 states “Let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without defilement, for God will judge fornicators and adulterers.”
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral, FL
7,657 posts, read 13,066,878 times
Reputation: 4662
Better to marry than to burn - meaning the passions will drive someone to enter into sin.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: PA
2,595 posts, read 4,273,082 times
Reputation: 471
"Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. (Heb 13:4)

Being married you do not sin, if you have sex with your wife.

A virgin according to the bible is not one who has never had sex, but one who is undefiled. So, a man or woman who is married and who has had sex can still be considered a virgin according to the bible, if they are undefiled.

So, the 144,000 virgins are one specific group of people in God's kingdom. But they are not the only ones in heaven. It is written, that there will be a multitude in heaven "which no man can number"!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
 
57,634 posts, read 33,771,573 times
Reputation: 7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
most of all sex all cause uncleanness in our bodies making us unworthy of the Holy Spirit.

I want to focus on the most controversial which is Sex. Most of us think that marriage is a license to unlimited sex and that indeed sex in marriage is not a sin. I Am sorry to disappoint you but sex in marriage is a sin because it defiles the abode of the Holy Spirit.
What a sad, sad marriage you must have.
Quote:
From the word of Christ it is clear that the people worthy for the kingdom of God are the Virgins or the 144,000. It means that celibacy and holiness count a lot with God.
I cannot even credit this nonsense with a real response . . . this email I received will have to suffice:

Subject: Never copy from copies
Monastery Life

A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand.

He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies,not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."

He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years.. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing.

"We missed the R! ?We missed the R!
We missed the R !"

His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.

The young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?"
With A choking voice, the old abbot replies,
"The word was...
CELEBRATE!!!"

Last edited by MysticPhD; 11-22-2010 at 10:57 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
6,382 posts, read 5,032,864 times
Reputation: 5659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Let me dwell on Paul's teaching, which advocated marriage as a last resort and as a better alternative to wanton sex.

1 Cor

1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman.
2 Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

It is clear that Paul struggled with this topic because he understood the setting under which he thought. His general conclusion is instructive.

29 But this I say, brethren, the time [is] short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;
30 And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing [it]: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

In other words keep your Sanctity and celibacy even in marriage as the time is short.

Finally he advises in 1Cor 7:5

Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.


In giving this advise, Paul understood that fasting and prayer times are periods couples come close to God and invite the Holy Spirit in their lives, by removing the sin of sex in their lives. It is only when you practice fasting and prayer after sex, that God can hear your prayer either as a couple or individuals.

Lastly Hebrews 12:

14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:



Holiness is an important part of relationship with our spouse and with continued sex and lack of fasting and repentance , how can we see the grace of God.
Paul was a Nutcase. Remember that. The worse thing you can do to yourself is dwell on Paul's writings. he was not an enlightened teacher, he was not seeking anything other than his own agenda, and I cannot understand why 1900 or so years later anyone still cares what he said.

There are a lot of religious, historical and philosophical wirtings out there, and almost all of them are better than Paul's. If you lined them up best to wrose, he'd be somewher between LeVay and Marx.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
 
7,908 posts, read 11,520,933 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post

I Am sorry to disappoint you but sex in marriage is a sin because it defiles the abode of the Holy Spirit.



Someone please tell June that she misread this sentence.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral, FL
7,657 posts, read 13,066,878 times
Reputation: 4662
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post


Someone please tell June that she misread this sentence.
I know, right?

How did we get here then? God said, "Go forth, and multiply!"

Did He mean math, and we misunderstood?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top