Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 AM

5,523 posts, read 7,359,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A verbal venue absent most of the other aspects of communication that provide meaning only contains about 7% of what is intended to be communicated. That is hardly a sufficient basis for judging the nature of others . . . a mere wisp . . . as Ilene said.
I agree with you and Ilene.

Nevertheless; in this age of cell phone, text messaging, emails, and social networking,
where, unfortunately, face to face communication is becoming a dying "art",

it would seem to me that the same "art" can be applied to what opportunities we do have to communicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM

187 posts, read 196,423 times
Honestly. Ive experienced an arguement with family that would have NEVER happened outside of internet one year ago this month. Eleven in family including two parents. Never has an upset of this
depth has ever been known in family. It devestated everyone...I have no family now. It is gone.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:48 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,639,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearNight View Post
Honestly. Ive experienced an arguement with family that would have NEVER happened outside of internet one year ago this month. Eleven in family including two parents. Never has an upset of this
depth has ever been known in family. It devestated everyone...I have no family now. It is gone.
I'm real sorry to hear that Clearnight....I know how you feel. My family was devastated by certain events and now there are just three of us to celebrate the holidays. I'll be honest the first few years were very hard but after a while it got better and now it's just fine. If I understand you correctly what happened to your family was caused by the internet? That was my point in this thread, is that people say and do things that get misconstrued or don't come across properly because certain expressions and body language can't be used. There's a whole lot of misunderstanding going on and I think it would be in everyone's best interest to not put so much stock in what someone is saying via the internet, discussion boards, etc.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,627,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
it would seem to me that the same "art" can be applied to what opportunities we do have to communicate.
I would say then that a person who wishes to communicate well may want to study the art of how to express themselves more fully through the written word, agreed?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:54 PM

5,523 posts, read 7,359,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I would say then that a person who wishes to communicate well may want to study the art of how to express themselves more fully through the written word, agreed?
I'm referring less to the "art" of expressing oneself, as I am the "art" of using the written word as a vehicle towards encouraging intimacy between communicants.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm real sorry to hear that Clearnight....I know how you feel. My family was devastated by certain events and now there are just three of us to celebrate the holidays. I'll be honest the first few years were very hard but after a while it got better and now it's just fine. If I understand you correctly what happened to your family was caused by the internet? That was my point in this thread, is that people say and do things that get misconstrued or don't come across properly because certain expressions and body language can't be used. There's a whole lot of misunderstanding going on and I think it would be in everyone's best interest to not put so much stock in what someone is saying via the internet, discussion boards, etc.
Thankyou for kind words, never meant to get into but when I saw this thread, it just came out.

Yes this is correct, many are across N/A. Internet not used that much due to handy phone, however the argument started completely on line with eventual..."all copy" and it went bazurk. Attempts to move forward,
after coolinig...rejected. Perhaps people just do the best they can and the "send button" cannot be re evaluated in email
CD has the edit option....even up to 90 min I think. Thought to mention this, as it can help tempering emotion and overall effect we have on each other. Its hard to be passionate about something and not let it fly.

I think I have a good idea in how this is for people, and glad to hear you feel better after a few years. It is quite the black cloud if your used to a lively family deal ,all your life.
Pretty busy with
obligations and the people I come into contact with are super. Going into the Christmas season its great to see thread with a heads up on the send button. We live with what we send and so does the person that
receives. Theres no way of injecting, a patience in reply. You can detect patience in a persons tone when live. As well, a post appears in front of us in a bit of a documented form. Its like an official written in stone fact for the history books.
Thanks again and good to see the positive spirit !

Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Maybe i should have titled this thread a little different instead of using the word "post" in the title, maybe it should have been conversation.

I am a great believer in "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks", this does not mean that hearing what comes of out someone's heart(our conversation) we should judge it(God forbid),but we discern it.

By the way Illene and Clearnight, a word of encouragement, God is in the reconciliation business and i have shared thanksgiving today with my wife's side of the family, and her twin brother and elder sister for years did not want anything to do with the family, and through a sad happening early last year, the Lord brought around reconcilation.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,202,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearNight View Post

I'm sorry to hear about your family, ClearNight.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your family, ClearNight.
Thanks so much, your very kind. Thought I would comment on pcamps quote....

Pcamps "I was talking in terms of what we dwell on,because we are all sharing our thoughts and i believe the thoughts we dwell on shape who we are,we eventually become,do and change into what we dwell on".

This makes so much sense . Our minds can shift so quickly, we can dwell in positive forward thoughts and really theres just no other way to go. Its good I think in hoping to draw out the best in others. Thinking out loud , I think were designed to be cheerful, so why not !

Last edited by ClearNight; 11-26-2010 at 04:54 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 08:50 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think we should always show our 'true nature, in any venue.

It mostly just shows itself.
I agree -- If we get in the habit of presenting ourselves as something other than we are, we will quickly lose sight of who we really are! There are some indicators that are pretty difficult to conceal ... and which also provide US with some truths about ourselves.

1). Where do we spend our 'discretionary' money (What does your checkbook say about your priorities?

2). What do we talk about? (If we have a serious hobby, it invariably works its way into our conversation. How often do we talk about God?)

3). What do we think about? (Scripture tells us to "take every thought captive." In other words, we are to take control over our minds.

David pleaded, "Search me O'Lord and show me "myself"" - David knew that he was not the best judge of himself and was willing to submit himself to God's Word/assessment, rather than rely only on his own thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity