Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

What is the well we are drawing from ?.

From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water. John 7:8

My meditation of Him shall be sweet,I will be glad in the Lord. Psalm 104:34

Finally brethren ,whatever is true,whatever is honest,whatever is just,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever things are of good report,think on these things. Phil 4:8

That the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.Philemon 1 :6

Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2.

Though i still have a long way to go i believe what i am dwelling on is changing me, just like the scripture says "as a man thinks in his heart so is he".Proverbs 23:7

Inevitably a way a man thinks will be revealed by his words , which will be words of life or words of death,death and life are in the power of the tongue. Proverbs 18:21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
I think our posts are not a revealing of our true selves and what we dwell and think upon at all. It's such an infinitesimal part of who we are that I don't think it's a true revealing of anything other than that we are all human and we lose our tempers and name call. Which in real life probably wouldn't even happen. We can't really compare what happens here at C-D to much of anything....it has a life of it's own.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Hi Ilene

I was talking in terms of what we dwell on,because we are all sharing our thoughts and i believe the thoughts we dwell on shape who we are,we eventually become,do and change into what we dwell on.

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3 18

I also believe this is true in the negative too,as some would testify on the "If i hate someone am i going to hell" thread, the more they dwell on why they hate, the more bitter and unforgiving they become, to the point where it eats them up.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Not sure I'm getting what you're trying to say pcamps but I'm trying!! Your thread was about our posts and what they say about us, I thought.....so you're talking about the big picture of what we actually dwell on in our personal lives and how it can damage our walk, talk and everything else?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What is the well we are drawing from ?.

From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water. John 7:8

My meditation of Him shall be sweet,I will be glad in the Lord. Psalm 104:34

Finally brethren ,whatever is true,whatever is honest,whatever is just,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever things are of good report,think on these things. Phil 4:8

That the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.Philemon 1 :6

Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2.

Though i still have a long way to go i believe what i am dwelling on is changing me, just like the scripture says "as a man thinks in his heart so is he".Proverbs 23:7

Inevitably a way a man thinks will be revealed by his words , which will be words of life or words of death,death and life are in the power of the tongue. Proverbs 18:21

Excellent post

we will know them by their "fruit"

Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Hi Illene

What we talk about whether it be in the real world or on this internet forum is a result of what we dwell on.If for instance we dwell on compassion, i believe we will be compassionate and talk compassionately, if we dwell on the mercy of God we will be merciful and talk merciful too,This is why Paul said think on these things, we can not speak or do something that we have not given thought to.

So i believe our posts(words) are very revealing ,because we are our words

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly Col 3:16 . There is only one way this can happen and that is by dwelling,thinking and meditating on the word of Christ.

I personally want the word of Christ to dwell in me richly, so i give a lot of thought to how lovely he is, how gracious he is, how merciful he is, how forgiving he, how longsuffering he is,how wonderful he is,how beautiful beyond comprehension he is, and as i dwell,think and meditate on these things i become them.

I never dwell on condemnation, damnation, sin or sinners, and that is why you will never see me posting on these things, these things are dying in in me as i dwell on all that makes him altogether lovely(Songs of Solomon 5:16)

Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hi Illene

What we talk about whether it be in the real world or on this internet forum is a result of what we dwell on.If for instance we dwell on compassion, i believe we will be compassionate and talk compassionately, if we dwell on the mercy of God we will be merciful and talk merciful too,This is why Paul said think on these things, we can not speak or do something that we have not given thought to.

So i believe our posts(words) are very revealing ,because we are our words

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly Col 3:16 . There is only one way this can happen and that is by dwelling,thinking and meditating on the word of Christ.

I personally want the word of Christ to dwell in me richly, so i give a lot of thought to how lovely he is, how gracious he is, how merciful he is, how forgiving he, how longsuffering he is,how wonderful he is,how beautiful beyond comprehension he is, and as i dwell,think and meditate on these things i become them.

I never dwell on condemnation, damnation, sin or sinners, and that is why you will never see me posting on these things, these things are dying in in me as i dwell on all that makes him altogether lovely(Songs of Solomon 5:16)
I see what you're saying but I disagree on the posting thing...I just don't think this venue really shows our true nature and what we dwell on. It doesn't for me anyway. I understand what you're saying about the Lord and his graciousness and mercifulness and it's good to meditate on these things.

But your thread is about our posts and them possibly showing our most important thoughts and what we might possibly dwell on and I'm just saying that FOR ME it is just a wisp, an infinitesimal nothing as to what I really dwell on and think about on a daily basis.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 PM

19,713 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I just don't think this venue really shows our true nature and what we dwell on.
I think we should always show our 'true nature, in any venue.

It mostly just shows itself.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:30 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I see what you're saying but I disagree on the posting thing...I just don't think this venue really shows our true nature and what we dwell on.

.... I'm just saying that FOR ME it is just a wisp, an infinitesimal nothing as to what I really dwell on and think about on a daily basis.
Same here on the "dwelling" part but doesn't our true nature come out in how we react/respond/speak to one another?

In many many posts I'm just commenting on things I don't normally dwell on at all - but rather express my (sometimes strong) opinions/beliefs about something when someone else brings it up. Especially when what is brought up seems an absurdity to me.

In the long run though, our unique personalities do come through in how we steer a topic or respond to questions etc.

Absolutely, we are our words as our words express the thoughts of our hearts.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
A verbal venue absent most of the other aspects of communication that provide meaning only contains about 7% of what is intended to be communicated. That is hardly a sufficient basis for judging the nature of others . . . a mere wisp . . . as Ilene said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity