Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:46 PM

895 posts, read 475,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, but alcohol is a poison. You do realize it comes from fermentation, right? Fermentation=spoilage.
Penicilian is from mold=spoilage and it has saved millions of lives.

I never drank until I was 38 because I had an abusive alcoholic father and a very religious mother. I had no idea if I was genetically pre-disposed to being an abusive father and that just wasn't something I wanted to repeat.

By 38 I asked my wife if she minded monitoring me and I wanted to try a couple drinks, because frankly I was bored of soda, water, iced tea, milk, kool-aide, and lemonaid. I told her that if I at all changed in a negative way or became like my father, to let me know immediately and I would cease completely.

What I discovered was that I could handle it, and that I was happier with a drink or two, especially at social gatherings. To date, I have still never been drunk, I don't like feeling of being out of control of myself, but I'm not living in alcohol abstinence either.

I discovered a couple of positive health effects and negative health effects from drinking. Moderation is absolutely the key, just like everything else in life....

So I'd have to agree with all the posters that say it is a personal decision. You have to know yourself, mentally, physically, phsychologically, and spiritually to determine if it's a match for you, just like you do with everything else in your life. If it's not a match it's awesome that you know this and can live accordingly, if it is a match then let your spirits be lifted.

Proverbs 31:6-7 (King James Version)

6Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
7Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Proverbs 20:1 (King James Version)

1Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

In these two scriptures we see balance.

Last edited by Cyno; 11-27-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM

910 posts, read 1,338,044 times
Let's see what the scripture says:

1) Take wine for your stomach troubles - Paul

2) Turn water to Wine - Jesus Was it alcoholic or not? Lets assume it was.

3) At the cross, he sipped wine and shortly gave up the ghost. The wine ensured that he partook of sin, making it inevitable that his spirit would leave him. If he had not sipped that drink, it is debatable if he would have died.

Based on 3), I would sway more to keep off alcohol for a sane xtian life.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Fermentation = alcohol, not poison. If wine is poison then why in the world would Jesus have turned water into wine? To poison all the guests? NO, so they would enjoy themselves at a celebration, that's all.
You've never heard of alcohol poisoning, I take it.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Hear, Hear....let's drink a toast to Christianity and alcohol. Cheers.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
You've never heard of alcohol poisoning, I take it.
Sure, if you drink enough of anything it's going to poison your system. But alcohol in and of itself is not "poison".

Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 AM

And that's why it has deleterious effects, well-known deleterious effects.

If you want to poison your body, then that's certainly up to you, but don't try to tell me it's good for you, when I know that it's not.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Fermentation = alcohol, not poison. If wine is poison then why in the world would Jesus have turned water into wine? To poison all the guests? NO, so they would enjoy themselves at a celebration, that's all.
Water in that region, even today, is often sullied by biological or chemical contamination.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:21 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Water in that region, even today, is often sullied by biological or chemical contamination.
So you're saying Jesus just switched one poison for another? LOL! Come on, even Paul said to take a little wine "for thy stomach's sake".....it IS good for you in moderation. And that's what we're talking about here, moderation. If not moderation, at least responsibility.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Personal experience then. Last time I drank, it made me feel sick to my stomach, on the SECOND beer.

So, obviously, my system is NOT meant to handle alcohol. And I have seen other people acting out of sorts, when they've barely had one drink. They act in ways that are out of character. The loss of SELF control is one of the worst effects of alcohol consumption.

But that doesn't make it a "sin".

Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM

175 posts, read 174,719 times
As has been said in this thread moderation is key, too much of anything is bad.

Even drinking too much water can kill, see this article:

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill: Scientific American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity