Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be called a Christian if you do not believe the OT?
Yes, you can. 20 43.48%
No, you cannot. 24 52.17%
I personally do not know. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Dear Pneuma...

Would you please, for me...and for my eyes...post in a different color other than the light green...I cannot read your posts too well...my eyes have trouble seeing that color...the darker green is much better....thank you...

Blessings,
Verna.
Ok, I understand some colors I have a hard time seeing also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Ok, I understand some colors I have a hard time seeing also.
Thank you very much!...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Some things of interest concerning an eye for an eye. If it did not originate from God but came from the lying pen of the scribes adding to the law given to Moses where did this law come from?

In the bible, we read often about God giving His people heck for going out and serving OTHER GODS.

Could this law an eye for an eye come from the service to other gods (namely Babylonian gods), and the lying pen of the scribes added it to the Mosaic Law as I and others have been saying?

Well the read this excerpt from the Code of Hammurabi, which was written somewhere between 1750 B.C. and 1792 B.C. This Code was written some 200+ years before the time of Moses.

If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out. [ An eye for an eye ]

If he break another man's bone, his bone shall be broken.

If he put out the eye of a freed man, or break the bone of a freed man, he shall pay one gold mina.

If he put out the eye of a man's slave, or break the bone of a man's slave, he shall pay one-half of its value.

If a man knock out the teeth of his equal, his teeth shall be knocked out. [ A tooth for a tooth ]

And what was Jesus reply to this Code? NO

Was Jeremiah correct in saying the lying pen of the scribes added to the Law of Moses? YES

So whom are you going to believe? Jesus and Jeremiah or the lying pen of the scribes.
Hot corrected me on the source of the eye for an eye quote and Jesus never said no He merely clarified the intent of the quote and the elaborated on the application.

You must understand that the law was never changed because prophets such as Jeremiah called them out and corrected their attempts. The Scribes tried to insert things into the scriptures and Jeremiah took them out this is why there are so many books that are not in the Bible such as the apocrypha.

I believe then both and just explained what the Lying pens did.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Hot corrected me on the source of the eye for an eye quote and Jesus never said no He merely clarified the intent of the quote and the elaborated on the application.

You must understand that the law was never changed because prophets such as Jeremiah called them out and corrected their attempts. The Scribes tried to insert things into the scriptures and Jeremiah took them out this is why there are so many books that are not in the Bible such as the apocrypha.

I believe then both and just explained what the Lying pens did.

Robin, Jer. called them on it becuse they had already done it, not attempted to do it.

What do you think the people did when they went and served other gods?

whatever kingdom one serves they obey and honor the law of that kingdom.

This is easily seen in we either obey and serve Gods laws or we obey and serve satans laws.

How many time did Jesus say to the scribes and pharasees that their father was the devil?

Why did Jesus say this to them?

was it not because they refused to listen to Him.

and why was it they refused to listen to Him?

it was because they had their own law.

the stone that the builders rejected is twofold, it points to Jesus and the LAW written in stone.

Jesus fullfilled the law written in stone, because He was that law.

The rejection of Jesus was the rejection of the LAW.

Jesus said don't do the eye for an eye, now if He was only explaining a deeper understanding to eye for an eye He would not have said don't do it. but He did not do that He contradicted it, and corrected what the lying pen of the scribes had added to the Mosaic law.

Do you really think the Holy Law of God would follow a Babylonian law writen 200+ years before Moses' time?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Robin another thing to think on is what Jesus says about forswearing yourself.

He says that to forswear yourself cometh from evil.

Other translation have it

cometh from the evil one.

Now do you really beleive that God would have in His Holy Law something that came from the evil one?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,614 times
No, Jesus was the fulfillment of the law. He often quoted the OT Scriptures and He Himself said that He came not to destroy the law (OT) but to fulfill it. Therefore, if we believe Him, we must believe the OT scriptures.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM

It is amazing, but not surprising, that more people believe the standards of men over Jesus.

To hold to the understanding that forswearing ourselves is the Word of God in the face of Jesus proclamation that forswearing ourselves comes from the evil one is nothing short of disbelief in theWord of God Himself.

Yes Jesus came to fulfill the law, that He did not fulfill the law of an eye for an eye, forswearing ourselves and hating our enemies shows that those laws were added to the Mosaic law by the lying pen of the scribes just as Jeremiah said.

The irony of this thread is that people here say those who do not believe everything in the OT is the Word of God cannot be called Christians, yet a Christian means a follower of Jesus Christ and as Jesus Christ said these things(laws) come from the evil one .

So who really is not a follower of Christ; those who maintain those laws came from the evil one or those who maintain those laws are the Word of God?

On the mount of transfiguration when Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus and God said concerning Jesus HEAR HIM and Jesus said His sheep know His voice and ANOTHER they will not follow.

Many, it seems, have not learned this lesson.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ Luke 16:31.

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, BUT in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son. Hebrews 1:1-2

For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people;you must listen to everything HE tells you . Acts 3:22

Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Robin, Jer. called them on it becuse they had already done it, not attempted to do it.
Where and how? Did Jer specify which portions were false?

Quote:
How many time did Jesus say to the scribes and pharasees that their father was the devil?
Does this include them all or just the ones He was talking to?

Quote:
Jesus said don't do the eye for an eye, now if He was only explaining a deeper understanding to eye for an eye He would not have said don't do it. but He did not do that He contradicted it, and corrected what the lying pen of the scribes had added to the Mosaic law.
Where did He say this? He didnt, He clarified what was better to do.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Robin another thing to think on is what Jesus says about forswearing yourself.

He says that to forswear yourself cometh from evil.

Other translation have it

cometh from the evil one.

Now do you really beleive that God would have in His Holy Law something that came from the evil one?
???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity