Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds like you are saying that these people are angry with God or people who talk about God - that they are acting insolent or rebellious.
No, they are not angry or rebellious. They couldn't care less. After all they don't believe in God so there is nothing to be angry at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
An atheist do not believe in any flavor of God, and it has nothing to do with going to church. These people never went to church in the first place, and never believed in God, so the next natural step is to denounce God alltogether and become atheist. Many people in US catagorize themselves a Christians, but they do not have a personal relationship with God, so they might as well say that they are atheist.
I guess these would be called social ("name only") christians, but they might be VERY insulted that you don't think they have a personal relationship with their invisible friend but YOU do.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
This is a demographic issue more than a long standing trend; we have seen this go on for centuries. If you look into the research of Strauss & Howe you will see how the last time this happened it was with the GI generation (B.1901-1924). They had a declining interest in religion and an increasing interest in government of collective solutions.

The Millennial Generation (B. 1982-200?) is another “hero” generation and they are following the same path as the GI’s.

In a few years the next prophet generation will start being born and they will user in the next spiritual awakening sometime around 2040-2050.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
No, they are not angry or rebellious. They couldn't care less. After all they don't believe in God so there is nothing to be angry at.
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything- but it sounds like you are very angry with atheists or people who aren't that religious. I'm just curious as to why?
And why would people want to pay taxes for religion if they aren't religous?
I'm just curious as to why I seem to sense an air of disgust or anger from your posts about people that don't go to church.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I guess these would be called social ("name only") christians, but they might be VERY insulted that you don't think they have a personal relationship with their invisible friend but YOU do.
No, they are not insulted. If someone declares himself an atheist, it is not a matter of opinon anymore. It is a matter of fact that he has severed his relatioship with God, if there ever was a relationship to begin with.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything- but it sounds like you are very angry with atheists or people who aren't that religious. I'm just curious as to why?
No, I am not. Not at all. This thread is about the rise of atheism, so I am only discussing the topic. I have atheist friends and family members. I also know believers who don't go to church.

Quote:
And why would people want to pay taxes for religion if they aren't religous?
Exactly. They might as well register as atheist, which is exactly what they do.

Quote:
I'm just curious as to why I seem to sense an air of disgust or anger from your posts about people that don't go to church.
That is a question for you, not me. You are sensing something that is simply not there. Maybe it would help to quote the parts of my posts which gave you this impression.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Denmark and/or Norway is on my list of places to move to hop off this sinking ship. Just need a wife from over there.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
No, I am not. Not at all. This thread is about the rise of atheism, so I am only discussing the topic. I have atheist friends and family members.

Exactly. They might as well register as atheist, which is exactly what they do.

That is a question for you, not me. You are sensing something that is simply not there.
I'm sorry if I have offended. I assure that I did not mean to do so. We all have different writing styles and ways of expressing ourselves. I think I'm just not used to yours and find an abruptness and edge to it that you are not intending.
Thank you for clearing that up.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
No, they are not insulted. If someone declares himself an atheist, it is not a matter of opinon anymore. It is a matter of fact that he has severed his relatioship with God, if there ever was a relationship to begin with.
You can't sever a relationship with someone that never existed.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It already has, that's why I'm an atheist.

I had no idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity