Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
No, if you would have read what I wrote,,,we didn't get into doctrines. In fact I was told to try and stay out of them, for we are each on on our own paths.
Hot though all our experiences may be different arriving their, but the path we are all on is the same....... to the City whose builder and maker is God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hot though all our experiences may be different arriving their, but the path we are all on is the same....... to the City whose builder and maker is God
Sorry brother,,the destination maybe the same. The path to get there is unique for each individual.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:20 PM

143 posts, read 365,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Why? Once you understand the very nature of government, from a humanistic standpoint,,they pretty much all lead to the same place.

It is only a matter of perspective. Sure, there were evil men in the camps, but now you are lumping the WHOLE of the SS or the German people in with a evil group. And yet, in this very country, we have men and women doing unspeakable horrors both in research and development, and in the battlefields.

Year Civilian deaths in Iraq
2003 12,079
2004 10,834
2005 15,034
2006 27,850
2007 24,677
2008 9,245
2009 4,681
2010 3,576

And I am sure, since we are shielded from the true horrors of the citizens of Iraq, people probably do not even care about these numbers. For me, they are horrific. Even 1, is too much.

Again, from WHO'S perspective? Ask the Iraqi people what they think, ok? Or the American Indians, or the African Slaves, or the Japanese, or the multitudes of others who have been slaughtered, oppressed, and placed in bondage. I know, I know,,,this is the past, right? Well, let us just wait and see.

Actually, very FEW Germans knew about what was happening in Germany in concerning the Jews in WW2. Sure, they listened to the hype from Hitler, but they would have never sanctioned the wholesale slaughter of millions.

This is true. What pigs or cows have to do with the end statement, is unknown, but soldiers follow commands daily. Even if it means to commit sins. Just look at the innocents killed in Iraq, again.

I didn't say one didn't need to follow 'just' laws. Laws that are just and constitutional are what keeps the government in CHECK. NOT the people. This is NOT a government that is in check, not is it a just government making 'just' laws. It deals with legal plunder, or theft, and it keeps the people in a perpetual state of bondage though taxation and fiat money policies, or it keeps the nipple in it's citizens mouth.

Either way, it is not how it was founded, nor intended.

So, how would Jesus respond to what is done in His Holy Name? To make a idiotic statement that we are a Christian country, while committing acts of horror around the world and here at home, is just plain dumb. Sorry, but it is the truth.
And then for Christians to say we are to follow these people who claim unjust power over others as the 'will of God', or a 'command of Jesus',,,sound more like a cult than sound biblical reasoning.
I don't think that all governments lead to the same place. The U.S. government and the U.S.S.R. governments were very different, and many historical governments have met with different ends (many still exist.)

I wasn't condemning all the German people during WW2. I believe that you compared the U.S. under Bush to Germany under Hitler, and I don't see the similarities. There are tragic things going on in the world, and tragic things have happened in history. I value life and am angered by injustice, but today you would not be sinning by following the laws of our country IMO.

The pig is not considered a kosher animal (in Judaism) and I believe the consumption of pork products is forbidden in Islam as well. I believe the cow is revered in Hinduism.

We all want lower taxes, but I don't think taxes give us the right to do anything illegal. I personally feel Congress should start taking the defecit very seriously (Divided equally I think each American would owe well into 5 figures).

Im not sure what you mean by "what is done in His Holy Name". I wouldn't say that we are a Christian country. I was against the invasion of Iraq, but I feel we did do most Iraqis a service (The ones that didn't die (or loose kin) or have better standing with Saddam than the new govt). Saddam is believed to have killed about 180,000 Kurds and invaded Kuwait.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
OP: out of curiosity, what is your interest in what Paul says?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
I don't think that all governments lead to the same place. The U.S. government and the U.S.S.R. governments were very different, and many historical governments have met with different ends (many still exist.)
The same place I was talking about is: Massive debt. Oppressed people. Elite rulers. Passive and ignorant people who rely on the government for basic needs, IE welfare and entitlements.

Quote:
I wasn't condemning all the German people during WW2. I believe that you compared the U.S. under Bush to Germany under Hitler, and I don't see the similarities. There are tragic things going on in the world, and tragic things have happened in history. I value life and am angered by injustice, but today you would not be sinning by following the laws of our country IMO.
I know for a fact, based upon actual scientific studies, that even our people could be turned into hardened Nazis. You would be sickened at some of the stuff that has been done by our countrymen. Here, take a look at this video about the test that was done to our 'normal students' at a university. But, be warned,,,some content WILL BE unsettling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFEV35tWsg

Quote:
The pig is not considered a kosher animal (in Judaism) and I believe the consumption of pork products is forbidden in Islam as well. I believe the cow is revered in Hinduism.
Ahh.

Quote:
We all want lower taxes, but I don't think taxes give us the right to do anything illegal. I personally feel Congress should start taking the defecit very seriously (Divided equally I think each American would owe well into 5 figures).
Yea, about 160k thus far. Really is sickening when one stops to ponder it. The wealth that has been stolen isn't here in America. It is in China, or goes to the top defense contractors. After all, war is profits. Otherwise, we wouldn't fight in any.

Quote:
Im not sure what you mean by "what is done in His Holy Name". I wouldn't say that we are a Christian country. I was against the invasion of Iraq, but I feel we did do most Iraqis a service (The ones that didn't die (or loose kin) or have better standing with Saddam than the new govt). Saddam is believed to have killed about 180,000 Kurds and invaded Kuwait.
You cannot justify our actions based upon the actions of another.

And Sadaam was supposed to have WMD's, which was the REASON we went to war in the first place. Had nothing to do with Kurds or oppression.

Take the oil out of the equation, and see how much any 'righteous thinking' elite would care what happened there. And if you think otherwise,,look at Africa, or any other places where genecide takes place.

It was all about the oil, and Sadaam's refusal to deal in Dollars instead of Euro's.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM

143 posts, read 365,709 times
Romans 13:1
"Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers: for there is no power but of God; and the powers that be ordained of God."

Half the chapter is to the same effect.

Where are the oppressed people in America? Certainly there are many with less oppurtunity and this is very sad, but it is not oppression. And of the other things you mentioned, what conclusions are you drawing from them and why?

I am familiar with the prison experiment (I assume that is what the video was, I didn't click on it and I apologize if I'm mistaken.) But it's a big leap from that to the scenario you mentioned. A powerful group (such as a govt as you suggest) could greatly alter a person's perception of reality, but if they won't compromise their principles then theit new circumstances wouldn't make them ciolate their principals.

I'm not a fan of defecit spending (at least not such an enormous defecit) and I've mentioned I was against the invasion of Iraq (and it was alot more popular when it started.) But we don't have to agree with everything our country does to follow it's laws, and I think that's what God wants us to do (Ive cited a couple scriptural references and others have cited more.)

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
Christians who think government should be accepted unconditionally because it was placed by God? Do you think God put Hitler in there? Stalin? Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity