Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahry View Post
... What day did Jesus "rest in the tomb"? Good guess, the 7th day.
Please read the Scriptures and learn from them. You are under the influence of misguided men -and a woman- who fight wars not of God's making.
The priests never rested on Sabbath! They worked. "Resting" on Sabbath was not made up of sermonizing and "going to meeting", either, but of the priests in the temple offering sacrifices in their garments representing the New Man, and the priesthood of believers under the Firstborn and High Priest of earth, Jesus Christ.

A seventh day Sabbath is not given to any born again in Christ Gentile believer, ever, and believers met to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the first day of the week, after Sabbath was ended, because that is when Jesus rose from the dead and that is the celebration they keep. -You got a problem with that? Jesus does not! -nor does Paul!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 10,907 times
[quote=yeshuasavedme;16970740]Actually, you need to really study the Scriptures to see that at no time did God command Gentiles to keep seventh day Sabbath, which was only given to the namesake people of the New Man name to rehearse, about the True Sabbath Rest in the fulfilled Atonement, which was to come and is come. They will still "keep Sabbath" as a celebration of the True One, when they are indeed entered into the Sabbath of the seventh Millennial Day of rest, for this present creation.
So if you believe that God has given you a seventh day Sabbath to "keep", then you have missed His True Sabbath Rest, which is entered into by coming unto Jesus and taking His yoke upon you, and learning of Him.
The Jews kept the seventh day, and never, ever, entered into the True Sabbath Rest of God, that they were given the living oracle of, to rehearse, as His namesake people of the New Man name.
Hbr 3:10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in [their] heart; and they have not known my ways.
Hbr 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
Hbr 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Well sir, I thank you for your caring and consideration. But the weekly Sabbath 7th day rest has nothing to do with justification, other than obedience to God's law, which is for all mankind, thank you Jesus. The weekly rest is a gift of God for man, to rest. He also delights in it and tells us that there is communion with God on that day that is a blessing again for our obedience.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Isa 58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken

Furthermore there is no longer "jew" or "gentile" but one body in Christ. God's law is for His creation, to warn it of harm and direct it to Himself.Jesus Himself says the weekly Sabbath is made for man, and He is Lord over it. Since He is Lord of the Sabbath, and He is Lord of Lahry Sibley, I will keep it with joy and celebration. Glory to God. Jesus kept the Sabbath, Paul kept the Sabbath. No where does the Word of God give man the authority to change or delete the commandment of God. Furthermore, every adjective used in the Bible about the law, is also used about the character of God Himself. Now, you can not keep the 7th day rest if you choose. But you must understand that in doing so, you disobey God every single week that goes by.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:31It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

BTW, I've been doing this for almost 2 years now, and God has so richly blessed me and opened doors of opportunity for me to witness never before afforded to me.

SHABBOT SHALOM

Lahry

Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
Why has the idea of Sola Scriptura degraded into the practice of only studying the scriptures that support my belief, instead of studying all the scriptures to define my belief?

I read many of the forum posts where people expound on their Christian views. Although they appear to be in harmony with the Bible by the verses they cite, their expressed view is explicitly contradicted by other scriptures.

I wonder if the illiteracy of the masses in the past and the churches domination of doctrine and scriptural teaching (little changed even after the reformation) has left the masses uninformed and indifferent even in these modern times of the information age. The doctrines are already defined?

Maybe it is too much work to look beyond the spoon fed prepackaged information. Our "fast food, sound bite, fiscal week profits" society is satisfied with one or two scriptures to support our belief. We do not need all of them, we got two good ones, lets go go go.

I will give an example. I have seen many people talking about how Jesus is the salvation of the entire world. It is not important about their beliefs or actions, he has died for their sins too, come one, come all; we are ALL saved.

Some others talk about it being limited to "believers". If you confess a belief in Jesus, you are in. ANY sins will be forgiven as long as you confess your belief and ask forgiveness, even if only on your deathbed, you'll be saved.

In response to those views I would query about the applicability of few scriptures to start.

Matthew 7:13,14; 21-23

If only "few" are finding the "narrow gate" and Jesus is even rejecting those that are doing powerful works in his name as evildoers (NIV), how could either of these scenarios of salvation as previously presented be accurate and in harmony with these scriptures.

My intent is not to debate the doctrines of salvation, but only to illustrate my question.

Why has the idea of Sola Scriptura degraded into the practice of only studying the scriptures that support my belief, instead of studying all the scriptures to define my belief?
It's not what Sola Scriptura degraded into. The concept Sola Scriptura at the core is empty and false and has no positive explanation for following it. Sola Scriptura is in itself an irony since it is a TRADITION of the protestant faith and not biblically based at all. It was doomed to degrade, but having started at the bottom, didn't have far to fall.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:39 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I believe in sola scriptura but not everyone knows scripture well enough to follow this perfectly. I learn everyday and I have been born again for 10years. I believe in the Bible interpriting the Bible and I understand that many words have many meanings which many of the enlightened interpriters like to abuse. The Lord said we must become like children in our belief and digging into the many meanings of words is just a manipulation technique. We must take the word at face value and interprit it with other relating portions of the Bible and the context of all.
Does it bother you that the protestant concept of being born again is completely alien to Luther and Calvan's concept of being Christian. They believed you were born once when you were baptized.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM

@Yahshuasaved me...you wrote...
A seventh day Sabbath is not given to any born again in Christ Gentile believer, ever, and believers met to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the first day of the week, after Sabbath was ended, because that is when Jesus rose from the dead and that is the celebration they keep. -You got a problem with that? Jesus does not! -nor does Paul!

That may be good phylosophy, but you cannot prove that in the Bible. Proverbs 14:12There is a way which seems right to a man and appears straight before him, but at the end of it is the way of death.
That's what happens to people who follow the wisdom of men, what "seems right". You have no Biblical authority to change the Word of God, much less His commandments, how much more the one that is the first commandment in the whole Bible. It is the only one that begins with "Remember". Remember? - Lahry

Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM

@Juj,
Nope, it doesn't bother me at all. But it was not unknow to Jesus, John 3. That's what matters to me.
Lahry

Old 12-11-2010, 03:50 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
The Bible is the only place where His Word can be found...Jesus...where we can turly learn of Him, Who He is, and what He requires of us who diligently, with a heart felt passion, seek and strive to know what it is (in His words alone) to truly KNOW Him and truly LOVE Him. And only those who keep His Commandments truly know Him and Love Him. It Is Written...In the Bible.

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
The bible also says:

• So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth (tradition) or by letter (scripture). (2 Thess 2:15)
  • I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you. (1 Cor 11:2)
  • Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us. (2 Thess 3:6)
  • But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. (John 21:25)
How do you supposed the traditions of Christ and His Apostles ended up in the Bible after almost 400 years of Christianity? How did Christians receive Christ's Truth before the canonization of the Bible? How did they decide what books would be in the Bible since the Bible itself doesn't list them?

Questions and scripture that leave the concept of Sola Scriptura without merit.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahry View Post
@Juj,
Nope, it doesn't bother me at all. But it was not unknow to Jesus, John 3. That's what matters to me.
Lahry
You just supported my position:

John 3:4-5
4 Nicode'mus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

Baptism is born of water and spirit. When Jesus is talking about born anew, He is talking about Baptism, not running to the front of the church and making a testimonial about believing in Christ. Thanks for proving my point.

So when you are baptized, you are born in Christ, one time. Protestants who use the term born again have usually been baptized many years before that they claim to be "born again". So in fact, they already been born to Christ if their baptism was done in the name of the triune God. It would actually be their third birth if you believe in what you believe.

So again, the modern protestant concept of being "born again" is unbiblical in it's understood meaning and certainly never appeared in the proto protestant churches.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:21 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
You just supported my position:

John 3:4-5
4 Nicode'mus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

Baptism is born of water and spirit. When Jesus is talking about born anew, He is talking about Baptism, not running to the front of the church and making a testimonial about believing in Christ. Thanks for proving my point.

So when you are baptized, you are born in Christ, one time. Protestants who use the term born again have usually been baptized many years before that they claim to be "born again". So in fact, they already been born to Christ if their baptism was done in the name of the triune God. It would actually be their third birth if you believe in what you believe.

So again, the modern protestant concept of being "born again" is unbiblical in it's understood meaning and certainly never appeared in the proto protestant churches.
Actually when Jesus spoke to Nicodemus about being born again he used the plural form as "ye" in "ye must be born again." That is important to know because Jesus was referring to the O.T. in which the nation of Israel was to be born again in a day.

Also, for us of the Nations Paul said for us there is just one baptism, not two. There is just baptism in spirit, not water.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:48 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Scripture has the final word over any of our ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity