Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'll respond to this as a sincere question, which I hope it is: the Bible is the written Word of God. "Sola Scriptura" expresses the importance of trusting in God's word and not in man's manifold and incessant perversions of the truth.
It was.

I agree that the bible is the word of God. Completely. But even there we disagree on what is "The Bible". Talking about the New Testament strictly for a moment. How did we get it? People chose what was in it. Think about how many books were available during that time. Only a small fraction of those books made it into the NT. But how did they choose those books then? Think about it. And I want you to tell me your answer before I give you mine.

Then we the 7 books of the OT. Which we can get into later. But first, I want your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Just a thought:
The first Christians didn't have a NT. And I'm quite convinced that most of them didn't even have access to the OT.
And yet they willing laid down their lives for their testimony!

So I don't see how "Sola Scriptura" is true at all.

Blessings,
Brian

Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Just a thought:
The first Christians didn't have a NT. And I'm quite convinced that most of them didn't even have access to the OT.
And yet they willing laid down their lives for their testimony!

So I don't see how "Sola Scriptura" is true at all.

Blessings,
Brian
RESPONSE

Can't one make the same claim for suicide bombers? What does it really prove?

Last edited by ancient warrior; 12-16-2010 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE

Can't one make the same claim for suicide bombers? What does it really prove?
Im sorry, but I'm failing to make the connection.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Me too. Can you clarify Ancient Warrior?

Blessings,
brian

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM

351 posts, read 355,090 times
If you want to understand the Bible you have to relize an inportant fact. Jesus only spoke to the crowds on parables because it was not given to them to understand what he was saying, at that time. There are parables all though the Bible, in fact the Bible is one big parable. As Jesus said if you undertand one parable you will understand them all. They are all parts of the same parable but just differant slants and prospectives. If you do not see truth of the parables many things in the Bible will seem contradictory or to make little sense.

Part of the misunderstanding is that in translations of the Bible,sometimes the tense is translated wrong. It is not " God loved the world--" it should be God loves the world, He still does not did. The other wrong tense is " God said let us create man in our image and in the image of god he created them." should be " God said let us be creating man in our image and in the image of God he is creating them. It is ongoing ,we are being created into the very image of God but the work is not finished yet. The Bible is all about God creating us in his image. Could not finish this thought had to leave something came up.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM

460 posts, read 593,012 times
sschulz:

Alfred Edersheim would disagree.

In his tome, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, he points out and compares the parables that Jesus used with those parables and moral stories already in existence within the Jewish community.

Where Jesus differed was the "and the moral of the story is" part.

Most of the parables that were part and parcel of the Rabbinism sect of Judaism more or less patted the righteous person on the back. That person was definitely going to a good reward because they were "superior" in God's eyes to everyone else.

It was not that people were not supposed to understand what Jesus was talking about. I was taught that little bit of misinformation a long time ago. It took four years of theology training to correct that misunderstanding. What is really true is that most preachers do not have a background on the Jewish side (how they were trained in the faith, et al), so they may find themselves a bit stumped as to the structure of the parables as well as the meaning.

Jesus was not a mystic in sense of the word. He had a following because his message was not "Hey God! Look how great I am!" His message was one of getting down with normal people and enjoying the brother-sister relationship with each other inside the bubble of God's overarching love.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
I think one needs an understanding of religious writings as contemporay mythology is defined and practiced by it. I am in the Process of reading the Koran for that reason. I think in order to understand the growing Islamic faith, one needs to understand Islamic scripture, in order to understand the mythology, the how and why of the movement.
I would never advocate using a book, any book, as the soul source of one's belief or faith. But as many do and as the collective belief system of a group is influenced by these books, then one needs and understanding of them, as that is a great part of what religious myth is.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
That's all good in theory, but look around, it obviously doesn't work. If it did, the Christian community wouldn't be so splintered. And not just on little things, but big things.
That is why it is splintered because people are more concerned with oneupmanship instead of prayer and meditation.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Would you explain to us all, Robin, how it is possible to contradict something the Bible is silent on?
Oh sorry, long day, Jesus said man does not live by bread alone but by every word of God, and where do we find the word of God? The Bible, which is the only canonized or recognized Word of God. Yes there are other books and scriptures that are good for teaching but they all also are found wanting and therefor did not make the cut.

Last edited by RobinD69; 12-16-2010 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity