Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well the way it reads to me is you are saying they were not understanding the inspiration they were receiving from the OT. If you said "OT times" or "God",Instead of "OT",it could well read differently.

Like i already said to you in my response to you, Salvation does not depend on accepting a book,and it's probably because you followed the misconception that we have to accept and follow a book, that you no longer respect faith in Jesus, and never understood it in the first place.The fact that you mock christians who have the same misconceptions you once had, and recently strongly believed and defended yourself, is absolutely laughable, you couldn't make it up,maybe this god you turned into needs a little light to see the error of your thinking.
Again...you are having a reading comprehension problem...nowhere did I say from the OT...I said in the OT...go back and read it again. Go back to the beginning, if you have to, to comprehend the subject we were speaking of...nowhere in all that I posted did that subject change.

And I have not mocked anyone for what they believe because all are entitled to their own INDIVIDUAL BELIEFS and I really could care less what anyone personally believes. I've said it before and I'll say it again...my beef is with those who would purport that their belief is the only RIGHT AND TRUE BELIEF while they condemn those who believe differently from them...it's witnessed day in and day out on this forum. Christians condemn not only other Christians but also anyone else who doesn't agree with their particular version of Christianity.

Our debate here was about the inspiration the OT writers received from the holy spirit as they wrote the book and whether or not it was adequate, correct and true.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 12-21-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
So the ancients got away with that stuff because god allowed it, but later on god decided to up the enlightenment and disallow and disapprove of butchering and mayhem???
This is where it baffles me

Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Christygirl if you said "In the OT times", or "From God", it would read totally different, and then i could acknowledge you were saying what you say you are telling me. What do you mean "In the OT" ?.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
And then there is this from the New Testament I might add :

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:20

Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
And then there is this from the New Testament I might add :

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:20
Insane the scriptures also say this

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

This is all i concen myself with really, anything that concerns himself and testify's of him.

When i read the scriptures i see God unveiling his son. I know this is hard for you to understand...........

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Insane the scriptures also say this

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

This is all i concen myself with really, anything that concerns himself and testify's of him.

When i read the scriptures i see God unveiling his son. I know this is hard for you to understand...........

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Pcamps you are not resorting to Eusebius' cop out. Please don't do that. I KNOW what you are trying to say (as I used to say similar things) but while it made sense when much thought was not given to it, the concepts and understanding lost meaning in the light of common sense.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Pcamps you are not resorting to Eusebius' cop out. Please don't do that. I KNOW what you are trying to say (as I used to say similar things) but while it made sense when much thought was not given to it, the concepts and understanding lost meaning in the light of common sense.
It's no cop out Insane,i could have left the scripture from 1 Corinthians out, knowing you would come back and say this to me,but nevertheless it's true.If you want i can edit it out of my post and you can respond to the edited post, if you like ???.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
It's no cop out Insane,i could have left the scripture from 1 Corinthians out, knowing you would come back and say this to me,but nevertheless it's true.If you want i can edit it out of my post and you can respond to the edited post, if you like ???.
Basically what I was getting it is that often in debate, Christians fall back on the "well, you're not of god anyway so you just will never get it because you are BLIND to MY/OUR...er, the truth." Lost on many Christians is that many atheists and other non-believers were once Christians and some, VERY devout, biblically literate Christians at that.

I am sure you can see my point of view while maintaining yours because you feel you are right in what you believe. Likewise.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Basically what I was getting it is that often in debate, Christians fall back on the "well, you're not of god anyway so you just will never get it because you are BLIND to MY/OUR...er, the truth." Lost on many Christians is that many atheists and other non-believers were once Christians and some, VERY devout, biblically literate Christians at that.

I am sure you can see my point of view while maintaining yours because you feel you are right in what you believe. Likewise.
Insane i know exactly what you are saying,i can assure you i never meant it in that vain , i know perfectly well that "you're not of God" and "my ways are not your ways", are cop outs, and i do my best to avoid using them. Do you believe the spiritual mind and natural mind are opposed to one another ?.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Insane i know exactly what you are saying,i can assure you i never meant it in that vain , i know perfectly well that "you're not of God" and "my ways are not your ways", are cop outs, and i do my best to avoid using them. Do you believe the spiritual mind and natural mind are opposed to one another ?.
What exactly is a 'spiritual mind?' Just want to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity