Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Revelation was written in a symbolic/metaphoric style of writing called Apocalyptic writing that was very popular in the days of Christian persecution and used to convey messages from Christian to Christian in a "code" that Roman prosecutors could not decipher. It has its roots in Kabbalah and Judaic mysticism. That should give you a clue as to how reliable it is as God-inspired writing.
Has anyone considered or has any scholar done an Atbash cypher of Revelations?...I wonder if John the revelator would have not only used Hebraic Idioms but also used the Atbash cypher to code Revelations?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Why does John Patmos call Jesus the "Bright and Morning Star" (Rev. 22:16) when that is how Isaiah describes Lucifer (Isaiah 14:12-14).
thrillobyte, did you check out those verses prior to spreading a falsehood?

Here they are:

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Isa 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

I see no likeness whatsoever.

Also, why would the writer of Revelation be written the same as the gospel of John? John was near the end of his life when he wrote Revelation around 96 to 98 A.D. and he died around 100 A.D. The gospel of John was written almost 40 to 60 years prior to Revelation. I know I have changed my writing style since I was in college many years ago.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Here they are:

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Isa 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Also, why would the writer of Revelation be written the same as the gospel of John? John was near the end of his life when he wrote Revelation around 96 to 98 A.D. and he died around 100 A.D. The gospel of John was written almost 40 to 60 years prior to Revelation. I know I have changed my writing style since I was in college many years ago.
Isaiah 14 NIV<<<

12 How you have fallen from heaven,
morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
13 You said in your heart,
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.[b]
14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”

The NIV says morning star has fallen from heaven.

Revelation 22:16
New International Version (NIV)

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

The error is the same in the NIV 84 as well as the new NIV. No small error.

People must think God is okay with being paraphrased and is subject to copyright laws. Oh brother.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
As for the Book of Revelation, I guess we get to find out won't we?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The mark of the beast I believe is a spiritual mark that represents the mindset ["forehead"] or the ["right hand"] of the strength of unbelievers. Those of the worlds philosophy and false religions will have given and will give their mindset and strength to the many Antichrists and the Antichrist . These are called "MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT" who give their allegiance to Antichrist.
I came to that same concluson years ago, after all, with so many books and movies regarding Revelations, it would be fool hardy for non-believers, who along with believers, have been steeped in this 'End Times' stuff not to see it an say, 'OMG, It's True, they are putting marks on people!'...So, yea, I believe it is a spiritual thing...After all, Yehovaw has set a mark on His own people and we cannot see it with the naked eye for it is within us, it is the Holy Spirit, then why would not the Beast have a similar 'spiritual' mark that identifies his followers and possibly that mark is the absence of the Holy Spirit...After all, it might be that the Beast, possessed by the Satan, can discern the Holy Spirit within people and in this way he will know who are truly his and who are not and in this way prevent them that are not void of the Holy Spirit from 'buying or selling'...I doubt that there will be an actual 'Mark' on the forehead or right hand...Too many people know of this, even the atheist world...Do you see my point?...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Here they are:

That was my point also....

Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Go ahead and reject it...lets see where that gets you...

"And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."
He is not taking or adding anything...He is just disregarding it...So why quote that?...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Speaking subjective Revelations didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the NT.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Isaiah 14 NIV<<<

12 How you have fallen from heaven,
morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
you who once laid low the nations!
13 You said in your heart,
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly,
on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.[b]
14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”

The NIV says morning star has fallen from heaven.

Revelation 22:16
New International Version (NIV)

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

The error is the same in the NIV 84 as well as the new NIV. No small error.

People must think God is okay with being paraphrased and is subject to copyright laws. Oh brother.
Thanks for pointing that out. Obviously the "New Inconsistent Version" is wrongly translated.

In the Hebrew it is "son of the morning"
Isa 14:12 HowH349 art thou fallenH5307 from heaven,H4480 H8064 O Lucifer,H1966 son H1121 of the morning! H7837 how art thou cut downH1438 to the ground,H776 which didst weakenH2522 H5921 the nations!H1471

Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
As for the Book of Revelation, I guess we get to find out won't we?
If we'll open our eyes to what He's doing, we'll see that the unvealing is happening now.

It's the revelation of Jesus Christ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity