Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,284 times

Advertisements

POST SCRIPT:

Due to the influence of the reasoning of Augustine, the church council, in the sixth century, voted to make eternal torment an official church doctrine.

But even Augustine himself said, “There are very many in our day, who though not denying the Holy Scriptures, do not believe in endless torments.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
in Matthew 24....... many false prophects will come and deceive many ... Jesus said take head that no man deceive you for many will come in my name saying I am the Christ, and shall decieve many..........The rejection of Hell is the false prophets watering down the truth for the fell good churches that decieve the lot ..... Hold fast to the truth of the Word of Lord Jesus Christ ......
Amen! Some reject hell outright, and others have come up with this subverted annihilation doctrine. The falling away is in earnest nowadays -- just as the Bible declares.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM

352 posts, read 552,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Being from the "South" has a lot to do with it....it's the Bible-belt. They don't call it that for nothing. It is hellfire and brimstone teaching and it's nothing short of a miracle that I was able to come out of that and into the truth of UR. Generally speaking, the south is fundamentalism at it's worst.
Really? I reside in the South and I don't see any of what you guys are talking about. Where I live, the Christians are loving, kind, compassionate, and generous. So many of them stepped up to help me and my family out when we were in need of the love and care of others.Not to mention that the concept of eternal damnation, though present, isn't as much of a hot topic as living to love God and love people. What part of the South are you guys talking about because it surely isn't where I'm living.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:57 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
just because some have the insight not to take the bible literally(when it speaks very figuratively) does not mean they are falling away.Illene's comments make a lot of sense...a literal hell does NOT make sense.ALL of us,via the consciouness of God Himself that He infuses in us,are made in His image,and if God tortured anyone eternally,then He'd also be torturing Himself eternally.that doesn't make sense,esp when God is all-knowing and omniscent.He would not create creatures in His image,(when He clearly loves ALL of His creation),only to torture them eternally.
God said He created,and it was good...ALL of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Lightbulb God’s plan for the ages of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Amen! Some reject hell outright, and others have come up with this subverted annihilation doctrine. The falling away is in earnest nowadays -- just as the Bible declares.
Since UR was believed by almost all Christians for the first 553 years after Jesus lived on earth, it is obvious to me that it is the ETers who have "fallen away."

Even the ET theologian Augustine, whose reasonings convinced the church cousel to make ET an official church doctrine in 553 AD, admitted that the ET doctrine was based on reasoning, not on the scriptures.

I can't stress enough the importance of Joe's thread on this forum called
A "Challenge" to those who believe in "forever/eternity"

No ETer has been able to refute the evidence that Joe has posted.

If Joe is right, and so far there is no reason to think he is not right, then the UR's perception of God's plan for the ages of time makes perfect sense.

BIBLICAL CHART OF GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

Last edited by rodgertutt; 12-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Absolutly correct.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
in Matthew 24....... many false prophects will come and deceive many ... Jesus said take head that no man deceive you for many will come in my name saying I am the Christ, and shall decieve many..........The rejection of Hell is the false prophets watering down the truth for the fell good churches that decieve the lot ..... Hold fast to the truth of the Word of Lord Jesus Christ ......
Infact preaching about hell the way you do is watering down the weightier matters of what God requires of us, making the substance and reality of it of no effect.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness.

In a nutshell you speak up the gates of hell, and belittle the things concerning himself.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Question Question for twin.spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Absolutly correct.
twin.spin, did you bother to go back and check to see how Joe proved how wrong you are about Strong's concordance on his thread called
A "Challenge" to those who believe in "forever/eternity" ??

Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
twin.spin, did you bother to go back and check to see how Joe proved how wrong you are about Strong's concordance on his thread called
A "Challenge" to those who believe in "forever/eternity" ??
He didn't prove anything other than circular arguments. The so called "experts" you're listening to are blind.

Someday you will be able to see for yourself that I and many others on the side of the truth.

John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.

1 Corinthians 5:13
God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”

Matthew 25:41
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

The wicked man is not restored, anything contrary is a lie. Those who deny
John 12:48
Matthew 25:41
1 Corinthians 5:13

is:
"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God,
for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14

Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
Quote:
ths is just the southern version I'm talking about.
I'm not saying there aren't nice ppl here;perhaps sc here would give you the shirt off his back.But I'm talking about the doctrine and the psychology of hell that I see so prevalent,although I know it exists in other places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity