Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
I have never said "we have no choice."
Instead, I said that our choice of Jesus will always be the product of God's undefeatable grace.
Sure sounds like you flip-flop in your arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,289 times
Question God is in control of the timing of each person's salvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure sounds like you flip-flop in your arguments.
No flip flop.

For many years I have believed that God is in control of the timing of each person's salvation.

What have I posted that makes you think that I haven't?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM

Exclamation What the righteous will rejoice over

Originally Posted by twin.spin
Quote:
People who put their trust in
a cult,
in Budda,
Mohammad,
in some New Age jibberish,
or Baal,
or Zeus
or obeying the law,
or works righteousness,
will be forced to acknowledge that they were wrong about their beliefs to God's glory. Then they will be considered worthless and sent to their damnation.

And the righteous will rejoice !!!
What a stark contrast with the kind of God that Elenor Garrod sees in the Bible as expressed in my post before this one!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hello twin..
Clear something up for me, if you will.
Do you believe that there will be human beings who God will "consider worthless" and then they will be sent off to be tortured forever.
And you will rejoice and be happy when that happens?

Is that what you are saying?

I'd rather not assume, but that is what it seems like you are saying.

Can you clarify your beliefs?

Thank you.
sparrow, (sorry for the length)
Scripture has always held that position. God hates false idols and those who believe in them.

Jonah 2:8
“Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." [not URed]

Jeremiah 51:18
They are worthless, the objects of mockery; when their judgment comes, they will perish. [not URed]

Hosea 12:11
Is Gilead wicked? Its people are worthless! [not URed]

Psalm 31:6
I hate those who cling to worthless idols; I trust in the LORD. [not URed]

Isaiah 44:9
All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. [not URed]

Jeremiah 2:5
This is what the LORD says: “What fault did your fathers find in me, that they strayed so far from me?
They followed worthless idols and became worthless themselves. [not URed]

--------------

Jesus continued that message and phrased it that way in Matthew 25.

The begining of Matthew 24 Jesus speaks about the upcoming destruction of Jerusalem
and by the end Jesus is speaking to the subject of "the Day" .. the day that all will be judged, aka Judgement Day.

Matthew 25:1-18 is Jesus' description of what the conditions of people's attitude\readiness going to be like at his return and
God's\Jesus' treatment of the believer\unbeliever. Jesus compares himself as the "Master" and "servants".

The servants that did the masters will are commanded to:
" 'Come and share your master’s happiness! ' " [heaven]
The servant that didn't the master commands
" 'throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ " [hell]
We know this to be the meaning because Jesus follows this with Matthew 25:31-46

Matthew 25:31-46 compared to Matthew 25:1-18 & Isaiah\Romans 14 infamos "every knee will bow\swear"
[the master from 1-18]
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.

[All people will bow the knee Romans 14:11\Isaiah 45:23]
"All the nations will be gathered before him,
and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

[" 'Come and share your master’s happiness! ' " [heaven] Matthew 25:23]
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance,
the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world."

['throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ " [hell] Matthew 25:30]
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Again.. quoting scripture about the righteous reaction ////////////////////

Revelation 19

Hallelujah!

After this I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting;
“Hallelujah!
Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
for true and just are his judgments.
He has condemned the great prostitute
who corrupted the earth by her adulteries.
He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”

And again they shouted:
“Hallelujah!
The smoke from her goes up for ever and ever.”
Then the angel said to me, ... “These are the true words of God.”

Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
No flip flop.

For many years I have believed that God is in control of the timing of each person's salvation.

What have I posted that makes you think that I haven't?
You said something about everyone having to choose something or the other depending on the most persuasive argument. If you meant something else, that's fine. I am not in habit of clining to someone's comments when they misspeak.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin

What a stark contrast with the kind of God that Elenor Garrod sees in the Bible as expressed in my post before this one!!!
Elenor Garrod is in stark contrast with scripture. Read scripture not blind false teachers who follow false idol teachings.

Isaiah 44:9
All who make idols are nothing, and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame. [not URed]

Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 PM

Default The most persuasive argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said something about everyone having to choose something or the other depending on the most persuasive argument. If you meant something else, that's fine. I am not in habit of clining to someone comments when they misspeak.
The influence of God's unique timing for the salvation of each individual is the most persuasive argument that I was talking about.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
The influence of God's unique timing for the salvation of each individual is the most persuasive argument that I was talking about.
Well, you did use the forbidden "choose" word, but it's ok if you want to take it back. I understand. We all make mistakes.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Consider the meaning of aionios
AIÓN – AIÓNIOS
AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS

I would say that the punishment is eonian, and the results of the punishment are everlasting.
Rodger, AIONIOS and its variations refers to an indefinite period. Depending upon the context the meaning refers to an indefinite period because eternal, or to an indefinite period but not eternal. A few months back I submitted a thread showing that Jesus' reign is eternal, not temporary. In showing that, I showed where 'aionas' and the phrase 'eis ton aiona tou aionos' have the meaning of eternity. Here is the link to that thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...n-forever.html

I realize that you are quite impressed by a challenge another poster made on a different thread, concerning the singular and plural forms of the word AIONIOS, but his assertion, and yours, that AIONIOS doesn't mean eternity is false. The meaning of the word depends upon contextual usage.

The phrase 'eis tous aionas ton aionon' - to the ages of the ages, is correctly brought over into the English with the idiomatic expression 'forever and ever'.

'Forever and ever' does not mean that an eternity is being added to another eternity. It is simply a way of expressing in an emphatic manner, the concept of eternity.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Lightbulb It is impossible for the adjective aionios to mean eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
his assertion, and yours, that AIONIOS doesn't mean eternity is false. The meaning of the word depends upon contextual usage.
All of these combinations are used in the Bible: aion (singular), aions (plural), aion of the aion (singular/singular), aion of the aions (singular/plural), aions of the aions (plural/plural), and aionian (the adjective).

ALL of them refer to a limited period of time.
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

For aionios, or any combination thereof, to mean "eternal" its noun form MUST mean eternal. It doesn’t. It is impossible for the adjective aionios to mean eternal. Aionios is an adjective. Just as the function of "American" (adj.) is to inform us of that which pertains to America (it is never greater than "America") thus also the function of "aionios" (adj) is to inform us of that which pertains to the eon(s). It is never greater than the eons. No aion is eternal. Therefore it is impossible for that which pertains to the eons to be eternal.
Comparative Concordance of how the Greek words aion and aionios are translated in various Bible translations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity