Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Man's conscience is so deeply stained with his own sin that he cannot easily accept the idea that God loves him freely, without cost.

And Christendom is still very busy reminding us of how "dirty" we are, (perhaps it's the only way to get members?) --when we have been washed clean by Christ for at least 2,000 years now! Mankind has been reconciled to God all this time, and so few can believe it!!

It's almost as though man has a natural inclination to consider himself dirty. Remember the movie "Pretty Woman?" "It's easier to believe the bad things that people say about you more than the good."

Glory to God for His unspeakable gift to all mankind!

Blessings!
Brian

What a beautiful post, ahigherway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM

351 posts, read 354,962 times
Finn of course I'm happy I think we are all, right where God wants us, at this time. Some see some do not. Why certain people's eyes are opened and why other are not I have no idea. I do know that God is not respecter of person and he will have mercy on who he will have mercy on and will harden who he will harden. God is in control of his creation at all times. Remember He is the potter we are the clay and clay does not determine what happens to it. I know you firmly believe what you post and I firmly believe what I post. I never get upset if someone disagrees with me because I know it is supposed to happen that way or it would not happen that way. I think these discussions on the forum allow us to disagree without being disagreeable. I know that the items brought up make me research and check what is said and makes my faith stronger.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Finn of course I'm happy I think we are all, right where God wants us, at this time. Some see some do not. Why certain people's eyes are opened and why other are not I have no idea. I do know that God is not respecter of person and he will have mercy on who he will have mercy on and will harden who he will harden. God is in control of his creation at all times. Remember He is the potter we are the clay and clay does not determine what happens to it. I know you firmly believe what you post and I firmly believe what I post. I never get upset if someone disagrees with me because I know it is supposed to happen that way or it would not happen that way. I think these discussions on the forum allow us to disagree without being disagreeable. I know that the items brought up make me research and check what is said and makes my faith stronger.

Great post, I see it pretty much the same way.
peace,
sparrow

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
"It's easier to believe the bad things that people say about you more than the good."
That's the problem with belief systems, it focuses the person on themselves or that of others; and we loose the joy of life itself.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That's the problem with belief systems, it focuses the person on themselves or that of others; and we loose the joy of life itself.
I don't get what you're trying to say most of the time Jerwade, but I get this.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi Finn: ref the parables of Jesus, like Ilene said this is a parable. In fact it is the fifth part of a five part parable that started with the Lost Sheep, then The Lost Coin, Then The prodigal son and then the Unjust Steward and finally Lazarus and the rich man. They like all parable are of the same thing.
If you think about it, the story of Lazarus and the rich man is quite different from the one about the lost sheep and lost coin. Parables are stories of spiritual nature described in an earthly and familiar scenario, but the story of Lazarus and the rich man explains a spiritual story directly without an earthly metaphor. You see the difference?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you think about it, the story of Lazarus and the rich man is quite different from the one about the lost sheep and lost coin. Parables are stories of spiritual nature described in an earthly and familiar scenario, but the story of Lazarus and the rich man explains a spiritual story directly without an earthly metaphor. You see the difference?
Oh my goodness, are you still harping on this Finn??? There is no difference, only what you want to see.....a parable is a parable is a parable. Do you get it??

Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Oh my goodness, are you still harping on this Finn??? There is no difference, only what you want to see.....a parable is a parable is a parable. Do you get it??
My mother (God rest her soul) always brought up Lazarus and the Rich man anytime I tried to share my great joy and hope in the magnitude of God's grace to mankind. I know she suffered a lot of torment worrying about whether or not she and certain of her loved ones would make it to heaven. I saw what a toll it took on her over the years, though she always managed to back-file her fear of hell and not ever really get it out and examine it too closely. But she lost my father/her husband at the age of 36 and she worried about him being in hell until she died at age 76 .... so sad. When mom died, in 2009, I remember thinking - well, she's finally free.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Is there a problem? I thought this was a discussion board.

How can you say there is no difference between the Lost Sheep parable, and the Rich Man and Lazarus story? At least try to support your claim by some explanation, don't just say "a parable is a parable, do you get it".

You people come in to make 'arguments' such as "a parable is a parable" and "you can't see it the way we do, because God hasn't opened your eyes". Well, I am sorry, but that is not an argument, it is nothing but a show of arrogance.

If you can't, or don't want to defend your point, then don't say anything. It is better to say nothing, than to say something like what you just said.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
My mother (God rest her soul) always brought up Lazarus and the Rich man anytime I tried to share my great joy and hope in the magnitude of God's grace to mankind. I know she suffered a lot of torment worrying about whether or not she and certain of her loved ones would make it to heaven. I saw what a toll it took on her over the years, though she always managed to back-file her fear of hell and not ever really get it out and examine it too closely. But she lost my father/her husband at the age of 36 and she worried about him being in hell until she died at age 76 .... so sad. When mom died, in 2009, I remember thinking - well, she's finally free.
I know Heartsong, I'm sorry about your mother and father....that's got to be a hard road to tow....I haven't had to go down it yet. I'm fortunate to still have both, even though I haven't spoken to my father in 9 years. But that's another story. I've had so many bible-believing relatives that have passed thinking that there were people they knew and loved spending an eternity in "hell" and I know they were tormented by it. How so very sad.

I wish I had known the truth before now and I could have shared it on many a deathbed, where they're in no position to argue!!! LOL! I think it would have brought so much peace to so many loved ones that I've lost over the years. But I know now that my newly found knowledge will be able to comfort someone, and very soon. I'm so blessed and comforted in the fact that I now have the truth and I can begin to share it when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity