Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Isaiah 64:6 says: But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

This filthy rag literally means as a woman's menstrual rag. We are all infected and impure with sin. When we proudly display our righteous deeds, we find they are but filthy rags (even to God). Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall. And our sins, like the wind, sweep us away. That's why we can't think that we are so righteous. What happens is that pride sets in, and then we don't think that we need a savior.
I remember a Bible verse learned in Sunday School years ago. "No one is good, no not one." I guess I could look it up and tell you where it came from, but I am not in the mood right now. That verse comes to mind when I hear someone ask, "How are you" and hear the response, "I am good."

So should we labor to do the best we can. Of course. But we all need to know that the most labor we do could never save us. Our very best is as filthy rags beside the goodness of Christ and only Christ can save us and reconcile us to the Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
IA with some of what you say, but not the bolded.

There is nothing for me to do-Jesus did it for me. He met the requirements of the Law, & He sacrificed Himself for me.

I don't know why you think I believe the red part.

You're completely missing the point of this thread, IMO.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, reread my sentence that you bolded and perhaps look up the word fallacy and then place it in the context of false teachings from religion and you should get it.

Much of religion teaches favor from God based on what you do right that is why I used the word fallacy.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You are misunderstanding what I am saying, reread my sentence that you bolded and perhaps look up the word fallacy and then place it in the context of false teachings from religion and you should get it.

Much of religion teaches favor from God based on what you do right that is why I used the word fallacy.
We're not discussing what religion teaches. We're discussing the meaning of a particular passage of Scripture.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
My perception of this Isaiah verse is that this is humans saying 'our righteousness is as dirty clothing' not God saying all human works are no good --- the people saying this were in disobedience to the commandments of God and were being punished by God for them - this was their way of saying that they were guilty of wrongdoing and asking for mercy ......

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
We're not discussing what religion teaches. We're discussing the meaning of a particular passage of Scripture.
Which I presented what I believe about it and why.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:00 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
My perception of this Isaiah verse is that this is humans saying 'our righteousness is as dirty clothing' not God saying all human works are no good --- the people saying this were in disobedience to the commandments of God and were being punished by God for them - this was their way of saying that they were guilty of wrongdoing and asking for mercy ......
What can we do outside of Christ that is acceptable to God?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I guess this has always been one of my problems with Christianity. As someone who has struggled with self esteem issues for my whole life - I can't imagine subscribing to a faith that basically told me I was worthless. I've finally come to a point where I can see the good in myself and I can love myself. This has also made me more capable of seeing the good in others and loving others more purely. I could never go back to thinking I'm no good. I've been there. It wasn't fun or healthy.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:

All good comes from God. So even if someone does not acknowledge it, it still is, which is why we are all acceptable. We just do not all come to that realization the same way or at the same time.

What is often proposed with the passage is that you have to believe in Christ before your good matters, that is not true.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
This

At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.
The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Acts 10:1-4

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I guess this has always been one of my problems with Christianity. As someone who has struggled with self esteem issues for my whole life - I can't imagine subscribing to a faith that basically told me I was worthless. I've finally come to a point where I can see the good in myself and I can love myself. This has also made me more capable of seeing the good in others and loving others more purely. I could never go back to thinking I'm no good. I've been there. It wasn't fun or healthy.
I love your perspective, Dewdrop. Whenever I hear the word "depraved," I just cringe. I was taught from my earliest years that I was a daughter of a Heavenly Father who knows me personally and loves me with all His heart. Of course we make mistakes, and because no unclean thing can dwell in God's presence, we need a Savior -- every last one of us. But I wouldn't have ever thought of one of my own children as "depraved," even when they were seriously misbehaving. Surely God looks at us in a more positive light than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity