Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,487,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory93 View Post
This, i don't agree with. Non-denominational does not necessarily mean you don't follow the goal of Christ's teaching's. Believer's are still unified due to the fact that they put Christ in the center of their lives. With love and faith, this already gives the unity of the believer's in Christ.

"Love God, love your neighbor's as you love yourself" This is what we are truly to believe. It does not say we must go to a building to be a unified community.
Uniform teaching from church to church was one of Paul's goal. Non-denominational not only fails internally but potentially from each other.

"From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work"

In short time the NT church was a "denomination".

1 Corinthians 12:28
"And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues."

Ephesians 4:11
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

Unity of beliefs and practices:
  • 1 Corinthians 7:17
    Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.
  • 1 Corinthians 11:16
    If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.
  • 1 Corinthians 14:34
    women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.
  • 2 Corinthians 8:1
    And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches.
  • Galatians 1:2
    and all the brothers with me, To the churches in Galatia:
  • Revelation 1:4
    John, To the seven churches in the province of Asia: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
"Love God, love your neighbor's as you love yourself" This is what we are truly to believe. It does not say we must go to a building to be a unified community.
Every denominational church I have ever been to teaches exactly that.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 PM

42 posts, read 64,692 times
But most denominational churches say that if you don't do what they do, then you are a non-believer. Even if you do exactly follow "Love God, love your neighbor's as you love yourself". If you don't belong to a denomination then you are a non-believer. Which is of course not true. That is the problem with most denominations.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
But most denominational churches say that if you don't do what they do, then you are a non-believer. Even if you do exactly follow "Love God, love your neighbor's as you love yourself". If you don't belong to a denomination then you are a non-believer. Which is of course not true. That is the problem with most denominations.
I have never been to a denominational church where they say you are a non-believer if you don't do what they do. Never. Every DN church I have ever been to say that you are saved through faith in Christ, not by something they 'do'.

Where do you get all this information? How do you know what they say since you said you don't go to church?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have never been to a denominational church where they say you are a non-believer if you don't do what they do. Never. Every DN church I have ever been to say that you are saved through faith in Christ, not by something they 'do'.

Where do you get all this information? How do you know what they say since you said you don't go to church?

I specifically said MOST. I didn't say ALL. I've been to churches out of respect for those who do go and invited me to tag along. And listening to them, there are some things that not only I, but others have noticed as well that seem to be out of place.

Im not trying to go against your beliefs. I am simply expressing my opinions in a manner as to where I try to show my point of view, as well as listening to others opinion's. I am not trying to offend anyone.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
I'm new here and I thought this would be a good question to start me off. I've been raised as a Non-denomination Christian. My family and I believe in God and truly accept Him as our creator. But some people don't understand what a Non-denomination Christian means. We don't go to church or have any religion. So some people think we are atheists since we don't belong to any congregation. But our family must be the strongest believer's in our Almighty God and don't think that to be a Christian, you need to go to church just to prove you are a believer. All you have to do is live life as God wanted you to, with love for Him, for yourself, and for your neighbors.

So my question is, what is your stand on Non-denomination Christians?
This is all good and great, however churches need money. Therefore your mentality is not good for business.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is all good and great, however churches need money. Therefore your mentality is not good for business.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,332 times
I bet most protestant denominations were originally one church and considered themselves to be independent of all denominations UNTIL there were more of them and then they became a denomination unto themselves. Hence, I would call a non-denominational church a proto denominational church. They all believe in a set of beliefs even if it is not written down. (Man, that sounds a lot like traditions.)

Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
"Non-denominational" is just a way of trying to be politically correct. Whether ND's like it or not they are all denominational even in their claim of being non denominational. They each draw a line in the sand of what each ND teaches just as the Denominational churches do.
Yes, this is true. And many of the non-denominational churches are of the "health and wealth gospel" variety also. I would have to be very pretentious in order to attend any church on a regular basis and I am not going to pretend. This is not to say that I cannot ever attend a church service on occasion for the sake of a member with whom I may be associating (friend or relative), but becoming a regular member of a church is simply out of the question for me personally. Funny thing is that when I was a little girl, I used to walk to church by myself because I had been led to believe that is where God is. He's also outside playing with thunder and lightening (to quote Martin Zender).

Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Non-denominational tends to be more often seen in small country towns, or small wedding churches etc, where there is a lack of population or facilities to have a presence for every other church.
I have no problem with it, but would prefer not to attend one, as they seem to be more New Age than the more conservative and old world denominations (like catholic or anglican).
They serve their purpose to some people.
If that's all that was available then I would probably reconsider.
Actually, some of the largest congregations in America (with thousands of regular members) are 'non-denominational' churches. I call them 'Mega Churches'. My sister and her family up in Atlanta have been members of one for years. I think they're called 12-Stone or something similar sounding. There are also HUGE non-denom's in Florida and Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity