Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,831,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The only ones I have a problem with are the ones that speak out that it should be someone else that should be doing the giving....usually someone else is just anybody that has more than they do.....so it's seen as excess....even when they themselves have more than others.
Again, it is a relative thing.
Amen! We all do it and we all deny doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,159,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Amen! We all do it and we all deny doing it.
Well, we know that God helps those who help themselves. He doesn't expect us to give away everything we have so that we're destitute. He gives us blessings, so that we can give what we can to those who have less. If we are helping our immediate family, then that's enough. Because the majority of us are related to someone, this should be an easy thing to do, just help a relative or a friend who needs you... and it doesn't have to be a material thing, it can just be listening to them, or lending a hand when they need something that needs fixing.

When we follow God's Will, we truly follow Him. We don't need to say to ourselves, what do we need to do today... we ask Him what does He want us to do, and He'll either tell us what it is... and it may well be that we are to do nothing. The key is to stay in tune with Him and not mix up our thoughts with... well, I should do this or that.

The most important thing to God is our soul's condition, not what we can do for our fellow brother or sister. When we focus our lives on making sure that our soul is purified with His Divine Love, then we are following His Will and all the other things like charity and good works will follow. But first things first. Blessings.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Well, we know that God helps those who help themselves. He doesn't expect us to give away everything we have so that we're destitute. He gives us blessings, so that we can give what we can to those who have less. If we are helping our immediate family, then that's enough. Because the majority of us are related to someone, this should be an easy thing to do, just help a relative or a friend who needs you... and it doesn't have to be a material thing, it can just be listening to them, or lending a hand when they need something that needs fixing.

When we follow God's Will, we truly follow Him. We don't need to say to ourselves, what do we need to do today... we ask Him what does He want us to do, and He'll either tell us what it is... and it may well be that we are to do nothing. The key is to stay in tune with Him and not mix up our thoughts with... well, I should do this or that.

The most important thing to God is our soul's condition, not what we can do for our fellow brother or sister. When we focus our lives on making sure that our soul is purified with His Divine Love, then we are following His Will and all the other things like charity and good works will follow. But first things first. Blessings.
Amen! Thank you for that enligtening post.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:42 PM

63,753 posts, read 40,011,679 times
Who is truly Doing God's will and work? ONLY God knows!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well, when we tell Him... "not my will, but Thy Will be done"... then we are making the choice to allow Him to lead us. So yes, God knows, but then so do we. Blessings.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,130,062 times
If you share your last loaf of bread with another, you've given just as much, if not more, than the millionaire who gives $50,000. It doesn't matter how much someone else gives or doesn't give....we are only responsible for what God leads us to give and the motive in our heart when we give it.

I think the harder thing is doing what the Bible says about giving in secret. If we give as an open show, then our reward is the pat on the back we get here. But if we do it in secret, then there are great eternal rewards. Maybe you guys are good at it, but it is hard for me to give and not want anyone to know I did a good thing.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If you share your last loaf of bread with another, you've given just as much, if not more, than the millionaire who gives $50,000. It doesn't matter how much someone else gives or doesn't give....we are only responsible for what God leads us to give and the motive in our heart when we give it.

I think the harder thing is doing what the Bible says about giving in secret. If we give as an open show, then our reward is the pat on the back we get here. But if we do it in secret, then there are great eternal rewards. Maybe you guys are good at it, but it is hard for me to give and not want anyone to know I did a good thing.
True, it is hard to give without expecting recognition in some form whether small or large.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I believe we know our motives even if we lie to ourselves.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,565,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

There are many many people (millionaires included, Robin) doing those things without letting the right hand know what the left one is doing.

It is a big world Robin and it is not perfect, but there are millions of people doing what they can and loving his neighbor as himself.
My cellphone is the most obsolete thing you could find...if it were snatched, the robber would return it with a note saying..."you wasted my time and effort...here's some imaginary bucks, buy yourself a new one!!!"

Last edited by ans57; 01-01-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 PM

You know giving isn't such a big deal... how many of us donate to the Goodwill, the Salvation Army, homeless shelters, or church charities? What's so cool about craigslist is that you can advertise as many free things as you want to give away and there is always somebody who wants what you don't any more.

How many of us have donated money to causes that are near and dear to our hearts... like The Smile Train, the Red Cross, the Boys & Girls Clubs, etc. Who on here ever supported school fundraisers, or the Boy and Girl Scouts? It's as easy as buying a box of girl scout cookies or anything else that helps to raise funds for these organizations.

How many of us have been involved in non-profit organizations where we volunteered many hours and helped to raise money for hospitals, cancer research, etc.

And is there anyone who has ever done a 5-K walk or marathon for charity? I'm sure there are many of you.

And, finally, how many of us have prayed for others for healings, their finances, or whatever they may ask for at the time?

Is this God's Will that we do this? Well, no doubt about it... because when we do these things, we are thinking of others and not so much about ourselves... and I'm sure He's very pleased with our efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity