Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
....one visit is not nearly enough to have enough of an idea about a culture or people to make assumptions about them. And I think that perhaps, the visit to a religious institution probably was more of the problem.
June thinks her brief talk/conversation with the pastor who ran the service was the bigger problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog
We are far more diverse than you think.....What we see more often than not is someone who has preconceived notions about a place visiting, and using the beliefs that they already possess to color any interactions that they have with people. My advice is to visit more often, and try to be more open minded about us. It's a beautiful part of the country and we are really very nice!
If anything, June tends to pride herself on being open minded, and to not stereotype other people. If anything, she will make it a point to try and understand those whom she might not ordinarily understand. While respectful of the pastor's stance on things, June still found the "southern experience" to be vastly different than anything she had experienced in the north.

She also agrees with you that she saw some VERY beautiful countryside while in the bible belt. Very beautiful, indeed, even in the winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
....next time try a UU church here;I hope you weren't scared off permanently.
The church service June attended was a non-denominational one (not that she would have ever been able to tell based upon the actual service itself.) She'll say this much: She's never seen so many churches anywhere before in her life! Wow! (And they're huge!)

June wouldn't say that she was scared off permanently, just that the next time she visits the south, she'll be a bit more prepared!

Take gentle southern care!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
You know June, I kind of look at various denominations like automobiles. Some people like SUV's, some like sport cars, some like trucks, some like sedans....but they are all driving down the same highway.

God made us diverse enough to give us a whole variety of ways to make it down the hi-way of our life journey in the vehicle of our choice. As long as it runs on Jesus gas....it's all good.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
You know June, I kind of look at various denominations like automobiles. Some people like SUV's, some like sport cars, some like trucks, some like sedans....but they are all driving down the same highway.

God made us diverse enough to give us a whole variety of ways to make it down the hi-way of our life journey in the vehicle of our choice. As long as it runs on Jesus gas....it's all good.
Now that's a good analogy.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The only thing really clear is that you are not spiritual in your thinking, you are religious.
Are you judging me? That is alright, judge away.

I am further from religion than you could ever imagine, I am immersed in His Word and am enjoying what I am seeing. I think I will go to sleep now, oh the Lord is so grand.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
There is a difference between worldly love and Godly love and the love many claim is worldly.
No there isn't, Robin . . . your confusion and conflation of love with lust is the problem There is no connection between lust and love, period . . . worldly or otherwise. There is ONLY ONE kind of love and there is only one God who IS love. Everything else is human confusion.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:

Good one GloriaB !!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:

But unlike vehicles, which all kinda follow the same basic rules, i.e. speed limit, stop signs, etc., there are differences, but basically the same rules and goals.

The different denominations are more like a demolition derby than useful traffic flow.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But unlike vehicles, which all follow the same basic rules, i.e. speed limit, stop signs, etc., there are differences, but basically the same rules and goals.

The different denominations are more like a demolition derby than useful traffic flow.
LOL, I do have to agree with you on the latter part !! A lot of truth in that statement !!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Then why did you reply?

I merely shared facts from the Bible and I have not judged anyone, and by the way, I wasnt complaining I was making a point.

There is a difference between worldly love and Godly love and the love many claim is worldly.

Good Samaritan = common curtosy
Why did I reply? Obviously to voice an opposite view.

You say the Corinthians verses illustrate a Godly love that non-Christians are incapable of feeling or performing, but you fail to account for why so many non-Christians demonstrate the characteristics in the verses.

Again, if there is a difference between the love that Christians feel, and the love that non-Christians feel, then why is the difference so invisible?

Shouldn't such a superior love be obvious?

You can't expect a non-Christian who knows the love they feel to take your words seriously because they contradict reality. You are merely reciting some memorized religious dogma rather than looking at the actual human being.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Good Samaritan = common curtosy
I love how you are able to read the mind of the Good Samaritan and just negate any empathy or love he might have been feeling. Jesus seemed to have a different opinion.

The parable was told as an example of loving your neighbor. And the Samaritan was described as feeling pity for the wounded man. Some translations use the word "compassion" instead of pity.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.

So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity