Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
doubt there is much I can say to change your perspective so that you can get what I'm saying. It's like we are talking to each other you keep saying "flour" and I am saying "flower".
You would get it if you tried, but since there is no desire to understand, it won't be undersood. Yes, maybe one day... So long then.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"hippie love" or they say things like "God is love BUT He is also justice"

the POWER of love,hello McFly....anybody in there?
Sometimes it comes close to being 'hippie love' when people toss "God is love" around regardless of the topic. I think this kind of overemphasis on one quality of God and wanton disregard of everything else leads to beliefs like UR. If all you see is love, then of course you will ask "would loving God jugde sinners", and then you conclude that he would not.

God is love, but he is also wrath, justice, and vengeance. God hates sin, and that proves He is capable of other feelings than just love. As a matter of fact if Holy God did not hate sin, then He would not be Holy. God is Holy, and sin is the opposite of Holy, and it is impossible to love both Holiness and sin.

God gave us His only son so he could give His mercy and love for us, but we still sin, and His wrath and hatred remain on us because He hates our sin.

Psalm 7:11 “God is angry with the wicked every day”

God's love for us does not mean He is incapable of hate.

So, when people come in to say love, love, love, God is love, love, love.... as if there was nothing else in the universe, I will say "awwww, that is so sweet". Yes, it is sweet, but is is also only partial truth.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Finn i have to come out of lurking mode just to respond to your comment of "Sometimes it comes close to being 'hippie love' when people toss "God is love" around regardless of the topic".

God is always love regardless of the topic. All that concerns him is love,there is nothing that he does, say"s, or thinks that is not love.

If hippie love is being totally focused on love, and giving no thought about, sin,death,condemnation and hell, well i guess i'm a hippie and all that think this way are too.

If only you understood the language of love,that it's the language of God. The language of love is a one way street, there's no two ways about it(pun intended).

As it ever crossed the mind of the christian , that not even the Pharisee's never once said to Jesus, "You are claiming to be sent from God and you keen banging on about love at every opportunity,and how it's better to bless than curse, love instead of hate, well how come you did all that bad @#%@ in the past ?,you keep calling us sons of Abraham hypocrit's you don't appear anything like the God of Abraham that we know, can't you just call fire down from heaven on a few sinners, and our enemies while you are at it, then we will be convinced you are the God of the Old Covenant ?".

And the reason they never did, was because Jesus exposed to them where all that bad #@#* was truely coming from "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-18-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If hippie love is being totally focused on love, and giving no thought about, sin,death,condemnation and hell, well i guess i'm a hippie and all that think this way are too.
Yes, that seems to be the case.

Again, God is love, but he is also wrath, justice, and vengeance. God hates sin, and that proves He is capable of other feelings than just love.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sometimes it comes close to being 'hippie love' when people toss "God is love" around regardless of the topic. I think this kind of overemphasis on one quality of God and wanton disregard of everything else leads to beliefs like UR. If all you see is love, then of course you will ask "would loving God jugde sinners", and then you conclude that he would not.
This is a straw man because UR does not deny that God judges sinners.

Quote:
God is love, but he is also wrath, justice, and vengeance.
God is love and God has love.

God is not wrath. God has wrath. There is a difference. The wrath God shows (in as much as we can understand it and call it wrath) is for a purpose.

It is the same kind of wrath when a loving parent gives their child a spanking, albeit God's wrath is on a much larger scale and scope.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Again, God is love, but he is also wrath, justice, and vengeance. God hates sin, and that proves He is capable of other feelings than just love.
This gross psychological ignorance about the basis of the negative human emotions is unbelievably frustrating. Wrath, vengeance, hate, etc. are the result of weaknesses God does NOT HAVE! Justice is what the first workers in the field sought when they questioned why the same pay was to be given to the last ones to come to work in the field. That is a human weakness issue . . . NOT God's.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This gross psychological ignorance about the basis of the negative human emotions is unbelievably frustrating. Wrath, vengeance, hate, etc. are the result of weaknesses God does NOT HAVE! Justice is what the first workers in the field sought when they questioned why the same pay was to be given to the last ones to come to work in the field. That is a human weakness issue . . . NOT God's.
He does indeed have such feelings. Whether or not you agree is irrelevant.

Anyhow, my point was to say that there are more than one ingredient in the foundation in Christ, not only love, although love is an important ingredient. Love and faith are base ingredients, but ALL teachings of Christ are ingrediants in the foundation. Wise people build on this foundation, and fools build on anything else.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:

So, when people come in to say love, love, love, God is love, love, love.... as if there was nothing else in the universe, I will say "awwww, that is so sweet". Yes, it is sweet, but is is also only partial truth.
What are your going to do and say when all that's left is this ?.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

The truth is this is all that there is anyway,but we cannot see it or worse still refuse to see it

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known

Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Thank you for confirming my message about many ingredients.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Finn i have to come out of lurking mode just to respond to your comment of "Sometimes it comes close to being 'hippie love' when people toss "God is love" around regardless of the topic".

God is always love regardless of the topic. All that concerns him is love,there is nothing that he does, say"s, or thinks that is not love.

If only you understood the language of love,that it's the language of God. The language of love is a one way street, there's no two ways about it(pun intended).

As it ever crossed the mind of the christian , that not even the Pharisee's never once said to Jesus, "You are claiming to be sent from God and you keen banging on about love at every opportunity,and how it's better to bless than curse, love instead of hate, well how come you did all that bad @#%@ in the past ?,you keep calling us sons of Abraham hypocrit's you don't appear anything like the God of Abraham that we know, can't you just call fire down from heaven on a few sinners, and our enemies while you are at it, then we will be convinced you are the God of the Old Covenant ?".

And the reason they never did, was because Jesus exposed to them where all that bad #@#* was truely coming from "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.
I think this deserves repeating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity