Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,068 times

Advertisements

I don't know what type of God what let this happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I don't know what type of God what let this happen.
Nothing happens without God knowing about it. God gave man volition. And man has a sin nature. God allows that human volition to function. Man's decisions have consequences both good and bad. And unfortunately, and since no man is an island, peoples decisions affect others, often in bad ways. Human history must be allowed to play out. But no one dies without God writing off on it. God knew in eternity past how each person would die and entered it into His divine decree. No one dies without God allowing it to happen, and He has His reasons for why He allows a particular person to die certain way. We have no right to question His decisions.

We get emotional because these were children who were murdered. But as terrible as the deaths of those children, and the adults was, there have been far worse tragedies in human history. The holocaust for example in which six million Jews were killed. Or the World Trade center terrorist attack in which almost 3000 people died. Or the Sumatran Tsunami in which about 230,000 people died. Many people die every single day in all kinds of ways.

We may not understand why God allows some things to happen, but we must leave it in His hands and not judge God. We know that God is love, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life (John 3:16).

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, (John 11:25).

Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
This is basically a duplicate thread of the other one, and a 'problem' that has been discussed ad nauseum. You can read the Christian/religious responses as much as you want although I doubt they'd satisfy you.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Nothing happens without God knowing about it. God gave man volition. And man has a sin nature. God allows that human volition to function. Man's decisions have consequences both good and bad. And unfortunately, and since no man is an island, peoples decisions affect others, often in bad ways. Human history must be allowed to play out. But no one dies without God writing off on it. God knew in eternity past how each person would die and entered it into His divine decree. No one dies without God allowing it to happen, and He has His reasons for why He allows a particular person to die certain way. We have no right to question His decisions.

We get emotional because these were children who were murdered. But as terrible as the deaths of those children, and the adults was, there have been far worse tragedies in human history. The holocaust for example in which six million Jews were killed. Or the World Trade center terrorist attack in which almost 3000 people died. Or the Sumatran Tsunami in which about 230,000 people died. Many people die every single day in all kinds of ways.

We may not understand why God allows some things to happen, but we must leave it in His hands and not judge God. We know that God is love, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life (John 3:16).

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, (John 11:25).
I'm sure many children drowned during the Flood as well.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 AM

414 posts, read 1,019,951 times
This is why, if I believe in anything, I'd prefer to believe in a god that's not all-powerful. Or at least a god that doesn't have full access to directing events here on earth. That way when a tragedy happens you can just accept the fact that god didn't have the ability to intervene in a way to prevent the tragedy, but who knows, maybe he did the best he could and intervened in a way that saved some lives?

It's a lot easier for me to accept that than believe that massacres are somehow a part of god's plan.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I don't know what type of God what let this happen
That is because we can only see it through the human perception. It is not easy to believe in God when something like this happens, or, if you do believe in God without a doubt, it is easy for your faith to be shaken.

It does not make any sense by our reckoning.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 AM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
It's interesting that no one asks these types of questions when a person tells a lie, or steals, or uses illegal drugs - you know, the small sins that leads up to a mass murder.

OK - God could have sovereignly just gave the killer a heart attack and have handled it ahead of time before he killed anyone at the school - but he didn't.

But God is also on the earth. He dwells inside every true believer on the face of the earth. He works through Christians.

The environment right now is that Christians are intolerant and narrow and bigots. When a Christian voices an opinion about sin in the culture - maybe that's God's warning - that we are going in the wrong direction. The culture doesn't want to listen. And then when mass murder occurs, people get mad at God for allowing it happen. Maybe if people listened to the warnings, stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I don't think God "allowed" it to happen.. Man "chose" to do the evil thing. I believe God created the world and all in it, including man who was created in His image, knowing good from bad. We have corrupted what He lovingly created out of perfect love..

Who's to say that God was not with the children/adults lifting them into his presence at that moment..
Personally, I believe God was there..

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
where is God throughout all of this we ask? hmmm, we have taken prayer out of the schools, out of government, removed the 10 Commandments from public display, removed crosses et al. and replaced Him with the passing of laws that allow for sinful practices to prevail in this country just for starters. in essence, we, as a nation have told Him, "we don't need You anymore." so where was He, you ask?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I don't think God "allowed" it to happen.. Man "chose" to do the evil thing. I believe God created the world and all in it, including man who was created in His image, knowing good from bad. We have corrupted what He lovingly created out of perfect love..

Who's to say that God was not with the children/adults lifting them into his presence at that moment..
Personally, I believe God was there..
These things happen because men are evil, and I do believe in a sense God "allows" it to happen, and they simply must happen if we are to ever learn to NOT do evil.

In this particular case, we also need to look beyond to what the real causes were.

Columbine shooters: deeply disturbed and on drugs (go google how the columbine shooters were raped by the local sheriff months before the incident happened)
Batman shooter: was studying mind-control and was on drugs

Will it come out that the Newtown shooter was also on Big Pharma drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity