U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type are you? Read the choices on OP. Thx
Type 1A 0 0%
Type 1B 0 0%
Type 2A 9 81.82%
Type 2B 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,729,494 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that there are two types of Christians.

1.) There are Christians who will never mention that we need to obey God's commandments and that there really is no point of "repentance" in a person's life where they are accually "born again". One example I'd like to mention is a group of Christians who, when I questioned thier pastor, "what did Christ mean when when he told the woman, "go and sin no more?" I said, "did he accually mean, go and sin no more." The pastor told me no he didn't really mean that and proceeded to tell me something that made absolutely no sense to me. I told him, "well I believe He meant, "go and sin no more." And also the teachings of Christ clearly give us many warnings about sin and unless we repent, we too shall perish. The sermon on the Mount has good Holy Spirit conviction against sin as well as the book of Revelation, which was written specifically to the Church. What I think is so horrible is that many of these types of Christians, in thier minds, are at enmity against believers who choose to repent and have an earnest desire to obey God. In thier minds, they accually believe they are the ones who aren't saved.

2.) Then there are the Christians who have the earnest desire to please God. They understand what caused Christ to suffer so much for them and desperately desire to repent of sin and not do anything that offends the Holy Spirit. But even among these types there are Chrisians who will not love the other type and thus making them no better off than them. But, the majority of this type I would think/hope have nothing but loving thoughts concerning them and not so much as even think about saying wether or not that individual will make it to Heaven. Of course they have faith and works - the most important being love for everyone.

Personally, I believe there will be Christians from both sides who make it into Heaven simply because they have indeed repented of sin and believe everything Christ said and therefore obeyed his teachings. But what God has put on my heart today has to do with the negitive attitude towards another believer. This is in my opinion a great danger for us as believers and you can be on either side of this debate and not even realize how much hate you have in your heart against the opposite type here. What are your thoughts on this?

There are four choices in the poll:

Type 1A says, I'm type one but believe it's ok to be type two as long as you are loving God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself, and obviously believe the essential things about Christ.

Type 1B says, I'm type one and if your not your not going to make it and you don't know God.

Type 2A says, I'm type two but I accept what type one is saying and will leave judgment to God, because they believe in Christ and what he did for us.

Type 2B says, I'm type two and if your not your not going to make it.

*I tried to make this as easy as possible but feel free to discuss... and please answer the poll for the one you are the closest to. If your not any of them then what's on your mind. And yes I know, the thread title isn't really a good title. Should be easy to understand though and I believe every Christian is one of these catagories.

Is this not very enlightening though? It really touches on the greatest commandments.

Last edited by O-Ducky; 01-19-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM

488 posts, read 1,084,869 times
2A

anyway, Faith is justified by works, so if you put your faith in Jesus and repent of your sinful ways, you should have a strong desire to please God and do the father's will. in this way I would say works are also needed, but it is important to note that you are saved by faith/grace and not by works...

Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
2A

anyway, Faith is justified by works, so if you put your faith in Jesus and repent of your sinful ways, you should have a strong desire to please God and do the father's will. in this way I would say works are also needed, but it is important to note that you are saved by faith/grace and not by works...
Very good. The most important works that come to my mind would be prayer, worship, reading God's Word, and loving everyone - being a servant. I think the closer we are to God the more we will talk to Him in prayer. Prayer is my litmus test that I use in my personal life that tells me how I'm doing in my relationship. When my prayer life deminishes, then next comes disobedience and the lack of Holy desires. It's prayer, the Word, and worship that really get me all worked up for God and without those three things, me personally, I know I'm straying waaaay away from God. Those three things are what cause us to obey.

I can only wonder how many believers who say they have a relationship with God, don't even pray - but in some wierd way, think they do. And then there's worship. I mean come on. Am I wrong in saying if a Christian isn't a prayer warrior or rathers worldly music over Christian/worship music, is not in touch with the spirit of God? I could be wrong in saying that but these desires come "naturally" to the person seeking God.

However, God is soooooo Gracious!!!

Be Blessed... and thank you so much for responding. I'm trying to learn something here and so far I think I'm learning what I was thinking allready.

Last edited by O-Ducky; 01-19-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM

21,188 posts, read 22,451,851 times
It kind of sounds like you started this poll thinking there was only one correct answer...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:38 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,140,927 times
The fact is that the Bible says that to receive Eternal Life and Immortality (Essentially Salvation) is BASED on Works! Don't believe it? - let me show you:

Rom 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his WORKS (deeds):
Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Right there in your own Bible.

What how the mind of man spin itself out of those verses.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM

488 posts, read 1,084,869 times
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Eph 2:8-9)

But:

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? (Jm 2:19-20)

I would say:

- If you have lots of good works but you don't believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, it is all in vain! you are not saved! No matter how good you are!!! You won't make it to heaven.
- If you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and you feel you are still unable to do any good, your acceptance was false, and you didn't honestly put your faith in him.

So I still insist on the "faith is justified by works" theory

Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM

6,370 posts, read 6,140,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast (Eph 2:8-9)

But:

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? (Jm 2:19-20)

I would say:

- If you have lots of good works but you don't believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, it is all in vain! you are not saved! No matter how good you are!!! You won't make it to heaven.
- If you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and you feel you are still unable to do any good, your acceptance was false, and you didn't honestly put your faith in him.

So I still insist on the "faith is justified by works" theory
You are saved by Grace THRU Faith. Faith without works is dead and Faith is the ACCESS to Grace. So the question is can DEAD Faith access the Grace? No it can't so Works are indeed required along with the Faith even to ACCESS the Grace.

This doesn't contradict Ephesians. For Ephesians is referring to the works of the flesh (our works of the ole man in us). But the works that are REQUIRED is those of Christ works THRU us TOWARDS others. There is nothing in the entire Bible that contradicts this. Anything else that doesn't adhere to this is contradicted in scripture.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Good stuff!!! That a way to give God the glory he's so worthy of!!!

Thanks for sharing that you two.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,417,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It kind of sounds like you started this poll thinking there was only one correct answer...
shh.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I started this poll with the belief in two correct answers

Read it again and see what you think. Also I did say what the main reason is - to encourage loving our brothers and sisters (disciples of Christ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity