Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

I'm not really all that sure I'm a Christian, to be honest.

I believe in God, and the deal is supposed to be that if I believe in the Redeemer, then I'm saved. If I don't, then I'm not. So I believe.

But I don't concern myself with reading scripture or attending services. It doesn't really have a major impact on my life. I find I have better things to do with my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
And some do not "go to church" because they cannot join themselves to a body of people who teach what is contrary to the beliefs they hold deep in their hearts. That's the reason I do not attend a church. I do fellowship with believers in other ways though. Most of the believers I know have been called OUT of the various churches.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
the 'church' is the Bride of Christ-His followers and believers. It does not lie within a building.
Where do you fellowship with other believers?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Believers who go to church will be able to have a witness in Heaven which will bless them with a stronger calling with a anointing for the plan of God ..... They will hear the Word of God and grow in the Holy Spirit and his ways. ... They can interact with other believers were the fruits of the spirit can be expanded.......Other believers will be called to pray for people who go to church and will be blessed by others believers calling in their walk with Jesus...... Some Christ anointing of very blessed Christians can come on thoughs who are in their presence for the purpose of Jesus growing in the plan of God............. People who do not go to church may have unforgiveness in the spirit that must be rejected, others may have no understanding into God ideas of stabillities in HIS ways for their lives , some may have to work and can not get to meetings ..... others may not have money to go to church or a car or ride to get there, or say there are no good churches around, some may be disabled or elderly or in nurcing homes or rest homes against their will and may lose their salvation against them....... still others who blaspheme the Lord and his purpose will never be led to go to church until they repent and turn from sin and turn to him and he will guide their path to HIS Blessing.....
There are many benefits in going to church. We became like a family with many church members at our church and the pastors were a good friends of us. Sadly both pastors have now left (because of management) and we are left looking for a new church.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
If you can find a real Bible-based church, which is hard to find nowadays, where the pastor lives and teaches truth, then yes attend that Church. But, if the pastor is a false teacher, how could one be edified by such? That would be the blind leading the blind, people just gathering to play church.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
the 'church' is the Bride of Christ-His followers and believers. It does not lie within a building.
That is a true statement.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
The church is the people, but it is nice to have a building to protect God's people form the elements while they worship. Would you rather stand in the rain?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am noticing more and more folks on this forum who claim to follow Jesus but do not go to church. How do you encourage yourself or find community? Of course, those who do go to church use the "do not forsake the assembling of yourselves" scripture. How do you skirt around this passage?
Church means "call out ones" or those of the congregation. So even here we gather with believers. The internet makes is even easier then ever to fellowship.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Church means "call out ones" or those of the congregation. So even here we gather with believers. The internet makes is even easier then ever to fellowship.
I should also mentioned that while the followers of Jesus gathered on the day of His resurrection (1st day of the week which was really the 8th day as the circumcision foretold) it is not a requirement to gather that day.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are many benefits in going to church. We became like a family with many church members at our church and the pastors were a good friends of us. Sadly both pastors have now left (because of management) and we are left looking for a new church.
They left because of "management"? Why are churches run like businesses? They even advertise on billboards and in the newspaper - it's strange. I don't believe it was ever intended to be done in that manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity