U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,185,087 times

Advertisements

I am noticing more and more folks on this forum who claim to follow Jesus but do not go to church. How do you encourage yourself or find community? Of course, those who do go to church use the "do not forsake the assembling of yourselves" scripture. How do you skirt around this passage?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,713,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am noticing more and more folks on this forum who claim to follow Jesus but do not go to church. How do you encourage yourself or find community? Of course, those who do go to church use the "do not forsake the assembling of yourselves" scripture. How do you skirt around this passage?
A follower of Christ does not have to go to a "building" to assemble with like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus to fellowship with them, and be lifted up and encouraged by one another.

I look forward to the beginning of every Sabbath (Friday evening), where I gather with those who keep the Sabbath...and together we delight in being in the presence of the LORD! It is a wonderful time together for each of us...I know I leave spiritually fulfilled, uplifted and satisfied...re-energized! and strengthened!...ready to fight a new week of battles against the enemy...satan! Amen!!!

I received some awesome revelation this past Friday...truly blessed my heart!

God is so good.

In Christ,
Verna.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 01-22-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 PM

24,493 posts, read 11,366,353 times
Quote:
[It] is wonderful to walk in the cool of the day, especially when my daughters join me.
The Spirit of Christ resides within, so you don’t have to go very far to meet the qualification of:

"Where two or three are gathered."

Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,929,841 times
Quote:
I think the exhortation is to not be a lone ranger as you will be missing out on the vast and varied gifts of others meant to compliment each other and create a kind of synergism.

The picture (of islandic individuals) is a bunch of individual body parts laying around and able to accomplish nothing. Really - it goes for all areas of life. Me sitting alone in my room is very limiting but give be some technology developed by others and assembled by those gifted with mechanical skills (human or robots!) powered by my brothers at the electric co-op and I can share my brilliant thoughts worldwide.

It's a team effort.

I know Paul's deal was in a different context but hey - then was then, now is now. The idea stands.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,391,836 times
well we all know the old 'standing in a garage doesn't make one a car' saying,and of course same applies with church and Christians.
I do have a small group I assoc. with.to me that's more spiritual than what I got out of church.we can ask the q's we want,request prayer,etc. when I go to a church,I don't get to request the sermon,or just what answers I need for that week.I also don't care much for the songs and music..imagine that..someone having an opinion!
there's no 'go to church or you're a sinner' doctrine.there are so many who go for all the wrong reasons anyway,and still think they'll be rewarded for it,esp. the business ppl and politicians who use church for their own selfish wants.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,065,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
[It] is wonderful to walk in the cool of the day, especially when my daughters join me.
The Spirit of Christ resides within, so you don’t have to go very far to meet the qualification of:

"Where two or three are gathered."
Amen. This music video reminds me of all the souls who are singing to God in their various "closets", knowing that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses... It's not as "polished" sounding as the studio recording by Twila Paris, but in a certain way, even more beautiful to hear this woman singing in her room as it is raining outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzhpZ...eature=related

Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,690,633 times
Quote:
The next thing is how to get around this:

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,

or this:

Acts 16:5
So the churches were strengthened in the faith and grew daily in numbers.

1 Corinthians 11:16
If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

2 Corinthians 8:23
As for Titus, he is my partner and fellow worker among you;as for our brothers, they are representatives of the churches and an honor to Christ.

2 Thessalonians 1:4
Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,391,836 times
the 'church' is the Bride of Christ-His followers and believers. It does not lie within a building.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 PM

24,493 posts, read 11,366,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
the 'church' is the Bride of Christ-His followers and believers. It does not lie within a building.
Many are called in by men, but few are called out for his purpose.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 AM

8,542 posts, read 7,700,681 times
Believers who go to church will be able to have a witness in Heaven which will bless them with a stronger calling with a anointing for the plan of God ..... They will hear the Word of God and grow in the Holy Spirit and his ways. ... They can interact with other believers were the fruits of the spirit can be expanded.......Other believers will be called to pray for people who go to church and will be blessed by others believers calling in their walk with Jesus...... Some Christ anointing of very blessed Christians can come on thoughs who are in their presence for the purpose of Jesus growing in the plan of God............. People who do not go to church may have unforgiveness in the spirit that must be rejected, others may have no understanding into God ideas of stabillities in HIS ways for their lives , some may have to work and can not get to meetings ..... others may not have money to go to church or a car or ride to get there, or say there are no good churches around, some may be disabled or elderly or in nurcing homes or rest homes against their will and may lose their salvation against them....... still others who blaspheme the Lord and his purpose will never be led to go to church until they repent and turn from sin and turn to him and he will guide their path to HIS Blessing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or