Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times

Advertisements

After reading the thread on christians who are not born again but christian, I was led to start my own thread on Jesus' great imperative on why ALL christians must be born again.

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus
3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]” 4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You[c] must be born again.’

So there you go, these are the words right out of our own Lord and Saviour's mouth. We, as christians must ALL be born again, or we can not see or enter God's kingdom. Baptists call this statement the great imperative or command by Jesus. In other words, it's a requirement in order for all of us to enter God's kingdom. The best way for me to explain it is like this. Let's say you want to enter an university. The admissions officer tells you that in order to gain admittance, you must take so many years of science, higher math, foreign language, and score at least 1500 on the SAT test. The admission's person isn't telling you to do it, but in order to gain admission, you must meet those requirements. Well, that's the same thing that Jesus is asking of us. You want to enter God's kingdom, then you must be born again.

Also, being born again simply means that it's an act of God who changes our hearts, we can't make ourselves born again. Sometimes I feel like people think that born again christians are only evangelicals or Baptists, and that if you aren't in one of those religions being born again don't apply to you.

LET ME SAY THIS LOUDLY, and as plainly as the Holy Spirit is leading me, IF YOU AREN' T BORN AGAIN AS JESUS STATES, THEN YOU CAN'T ENTER GOD'S KINGDOM. Now how is one born again, well first God does it as a result of changing our hearts, where we realize that we are sinners in need of a savior. This causes up to put all of our marbles in the bag of Jesus, where because of our child like faith on Jesus, we become totally obedient, trusting, and committed to serving Him for the rest of our lives. In addition this new birth causes us to become new creatures as a result , where we can cry out to God ABBA FATHER, now that He has adopted us as new born babes in Christ. Amen!!!

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Yes it is the will of God that every one be born again in the spirit , or some ideas call the same thing as a spiritual renewal , and all people in the earth are predestined to become born anew in the Spirit of Christ...... And you can identify the Spirit of Christ Attribute by the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5: 22-23.........```love, joy, peace, longsuffering , gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, and other development that can come are fortitude under the Lords wing, and prudence in the spirit to know right from wrong .... Then there are potential to receive from the seven Spirits of God ministry from Isaiah 11: 2....... ``The spirit of the Lord will rest on him, spirit of wisdom, spirit of understanding, spirit of counsel, spirit of might, spirit of knowledge, spirit of the fear of God which is the prudence in the spirit, ......... then there is the nine gifts of the spirit that can come to the faith of the person and the calling from the Lord ..... So how do one become born again ?.......... Repent of sin to the Lord in prayer sincerely by your self and ask for help to the Lord to be born again...... Then you need to find a Christian who is born again and get prayer to get you born again....... ... Pray for a Church of Born again people of Jesus and when you get the idea to go or people ask you to go then Go as a witness to Heaven ......... If Christians will not pray for you , give a small charity to a ministry of people who teach the gospel and ask them to pray for you to be born again............. See Jesus needs to see your faith and your willing to be sincere in your repentance and to love God ........And God will draw you and give you His Spirit.....

Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
After reading the thread on christians who are not born again but christian, I was led to start my own thread on Jesus' great imperative on why ALL christians must be born again.

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus
3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” 4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

So there you go, these are the words right out of our own Lord and Saviour's mouth. We, as christians must ALL be born again, or we can not see or enter God's kingdom. Baptists call this statement the great imperative or command by Jesus. In other words, it's a requirement in order for all of us to enter God's kingdom. The best way for me to explain it is like this. Let's say you want to enter an university. The admissions officer tells you that in order to gain admittance, you must take so many years of science, higher math, foreign language, and score at least 1500 on the SAT test. The admission's person isn't telling you to do it, but in order to gain admission, you must meet those requirements. Well, that's the same thing that Jesus is asking of us. You want to enter God's kingdom, then you must be born again.

Also, being born again simply means that it's an act of God who changes our hearts, we can't make ourselves born again. Sometimes I feel like people think that born again christians are only evangelicals or Baptists, and that if you aren't in one of those religions being born again don't apply to you.

LET ME SAY THIS LOUDLY, and as plainly as the Holy Spirit is leading me, IF YOU AREN' T BORN AGAIN AS JESUS STATES, THEN YOU CAN'T ENTER GOD'S KINGDOM. Now how is one born again, well first God does it as a result of changing our hearts, where we realize that we are sinners in need of a savior. This causes up to put all of our marbles in the bag of Jesus, where because of our child like faith on Jesus, we become totally obedient, trusting, and committed to serving Him for the rest of our lives. In addition this new birth causes us to become new creatures as a result , where we can cry out to God ABBA FATHER, now that He has adopted us as new born babes in Christ. Amen!!!

[+] I rate this post positively..... amen !!

Always a blessing to read the word of God in Spirit and truth !!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:24 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
antredd, did you know that the "ye" in "ye must be born again" is plural? And did you know that Jesus did not speak to us of the nations but to Jews? And did you know that the kingdom Jesus referred to was the kingdom He is to set up on the earth for the 1000 year reign? If the Israelites are not born again they will not see that kingdom.
Nicodemus, being a teacher should have known this verse:

Isa_66:8 Who has heard a thing as this? And who has seen things as these? Will the land travail in
one day? Should a nation be born at one time? For she travails. Moreover, Zion is bearing her sons."

The apostle Paul, who is the apostle of the nations never said we, of the nations must be born again. Why would he since that deals only with the nation of Israel. The nations, rather than being born again are a new creation in Christ.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus
3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]” 4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You[c] must be born again.’

Joh 3:1 But there was a man from the Pharisees, Nicodemus his name, a ruler of the Jews.

This here is self explanitory...Nicodemus was from the political party of the Pharasees...

Joh 3:2 This one came to Jesus by night and said to Him, Rabbi, we know that You have come as a teacher from God. For no one is able to do these miraculous signs which You do, except God be with Him.

Here is a clue that Nicodemus believed in Yeshua, but was also scared of those of his party that were opposed to Yeshua...Look, he calls Yeshua 'Rabbi' wich means ' my Master':
G4461
ραββί
rhabbi
hrab-bee'
Of Hebrew origin [H7227] with pronominal suffix; my master, that is, Rabbi, as an official title of honor: - Master, Rabbi.

He also confesses that that there are others of the Pharasees that believe also, as he does and recognize Yeshua as a Teacher sent by Yehovaw Elohim Hawyaw...For he said 'We know'...Why?...Beacause they know that no one can do what Yeshua was doing unless He had the Power of Yehovaw Elohim Hawyaw...So, this is all a statement by Nicodemus, not a question, so it seems odd that Yeshua would state the following, unless it were a confirmation to the statement which Nicodemus just made to Him...

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If one is not generated from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God.

Here Yeshua answers his statement by telling him that if someone is not born above that they do not have the ability to see the Reign of Yehovaw

(one cannot)

G1410
δύναμαι
dunamai
doo'-nam-ahee
Of uncertain affinity; to be able or possible: - be able, can (do, + -not), could, may, might, be possible, be of power.

This word coupled with the following strong negative:

G3756
ου
ou
oo
Also ουκ ouk ook used before a vowel and ουχ ouch ookh before an aspirate.
A primary word; the absolutely negative (compare G3361) adverb; no or not: - + long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, [can-] not, + nothing, + special, un ([-worthy]), when, + without, + yet but. See also G3364, G3372.

makes a statement of 'definitely not able'...

Followed by this verb:

G1492
είδω
eidō
i'-do
A primary verb; used only in certain past tenses, the others being borrowed from the equivalent, G3700 and G3708; properly to see (literally or figuratively); by implication (in the perfect only) to know: - be aware, behold, X can (+ not tell), consider, (have) known (-ledge), look (on), perceive, see, be sure, tell, understand, wist, wot. Compare G3700.

Here translated 'Kingdom' has the meaning of 'Reign'

G932
βασιλεία
basileia
bas-il-i'-ah
From G935; properly royalty, that is, (abstractly) rule, or (concretely) a realm (literally or figuratively): - kingdom, + reign.

So, assembling it all together we see that Nicodemus, and others, recognize Yeshua and Yeshua confirms this with the statement that He makes, that 'If one is not born from above

(G1080
γεννάω
gennaō
ghen-nah'-o
From a variation of G1085; to procreate (properly of the father, but by extension of the mother); figuratively to regenerate: - bear, beget, be born, bring forth, conceive, be delivered of, gender, make, spring.),

one does not posess the ability to recognize the Reign of Yehovaw' when one sees it...So, in effect, Yeshua is stating to Nicodemus that he must be born from above because he recognizes Him as being sent from Yehovaw and calls Him my Master...Nicodemus is an Israelite, and Yeshua was sent only unto the Lost Sheep Of The House Of Israel...'My sheep know Me and hear My Voice'...

Joh 3:4 Nicodemus said to Him, How is a man able to be generated, being old? He is not able to enter into his mother's womb a second time and be born?

Notice that Nicodemus, although he recognizes the Master doesn't understand HOW he recognizes the Master, all he knows is that he does...Also, notice he doesn't ask how one can be born again, but how can one enter into the womb of one's mother A SECOND TIME and be born...Because, for him, as a Jew, he knows that it was Yehovaw that placed him into the womb of his mother to be born the first time, in other words, his life came from Yehovaw, so, how can this occur a second time, now that he is old...

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Truly, truly, I say to you, If one is not generated out of water and Spirit, he is not able to enter into the kingdom of God.

The water here may be an allusion to the 'Water of Life' that only Yeshua can give coupled with the generation (notice, it does not say 'Re-Generation', but 'Generation') of the Spirit (capitalized meaning the 'Holy Spirit'?)...Putting A and B together...No one has the ability or it is not possible for one to enter into the Reign of Yehovaw...

Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM

How could Nicodemus be born again at the very time he visited the Lord in private?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Death of the flesh, born of water.
Leads to Spiritual Life, born from above.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
antredd, did you know that the "ye" in "ye must be born again" is plural? And did you know that Jesus did not speak to us of the nations but to Jews? And did you know that the kingdom Jesus referred to was the kingdom He is to set up on the earth for the 1000 year reign? If the Israelites are not born again they will not see that kingdom.
Nicodemus, being a teacher should have known this verse:

Isa_66:8 Who has heard a thing as this? And who has seen things as these? Will the land travail in
one day? Should a nation be born at one time? For she travails. Moreover, Zion is bearing her sons."

The apostle Paul, who is the apostle of the nations never said we, of the nations must be born again. Why would he since that deals only with the nation of Israel. The nations, rather than being born again are a new creation in Christ.
Paul did say we must be born again of the Spirit and I am. Jesus was addressing everyone in the world besides Nicodemus. The Kingdom of God is here and now for those who have the Spirit of rebirth and then latter in a fuller way.
1COR 13:12-13 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is l

ROM 8:1-6 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Paul did say we must be born again of the Spirit and I am. Jesus was addressing everyone in the world besides Nicodemus. The Kingdom of God is here and now for those who have the Spirit of rebirth and then latter in a fuller way.
1COR 13:12-13 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
The Kingdom of God is His righteousness by Grace established by the rebirth in the Holy Spirit

ROM 8:1-6 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Dear Garya, thanks for your reply. I read your verses you quoted. I guess you are saying that to be born again one must believe what is in those verses? Paul never uses the phrase "born again."

Jesus wasn't addressing everyone in the world. He said Himself He was only sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. He even told His disciples to not go into the road of the nations. When the non-Israelite woman came to Jesus the disciples were offended He was even talking to her. And Jesus said it was not right to give food for the Israelites to the puppies. But He did help her because of her great faith and those people proclaimed Him "the Saviour of the world."

Old 05-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Death of the flesh, born of water.
Leads to Spiritual Life, born from above.
But what did Jesus specifically tell Nicodemus what must be done to be born again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity