Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Do you realize this is what is wrong with our current judicial system in America? There was a reason they used to be called penitentiaries but are now just called prisons. We have both a prison and a military industrial complex by which we power our system of commerce. It is tragic.
Off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

595 posts, read 761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Proverbs 16:9 NIV
New International Version
In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Amen!

Romans 9:
19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’” 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

We each have a purpose in God being Glorified and His will, will be done. On earth as it is in heaven.
Make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

James 4
13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

Do not lead me into temptation, but deliver me from evil. (Jesus)
Lord, please do not take your Spirit from me.(David)

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,011 times
Those who continue to deny free will of man will continue to do so? I don't agree with that.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
The "Freewill of Man" vs "The total sovereignity of God" is a subject that will never be explained and understood well. It's somewhat of a mystery.

However, the freewill of Man is easily explained when it pertains to spiritual things. Man has freewill only as far as his nature allows him. My little lap dog Cheeky would really like to be a great Dane but he never ever will be no matter what he desires. The analogy is not really apt in that the nature of a fallen sinful man who is at emnity with God does not desire to know God, does not desire to worship God and according to the bible, "The things of God are nonsence to the NATURAL Man." The bible also tells us that "The cross is an offence to the natural Man.

Since becoming a "Christian" or a "Child of God" requires a supernatural action on the part of God, of course our "Freewill" plays no part in it at all.

The bible paints a picture over and over again of the unsaved, unregenerate or natural Man as DEAD. "Dead in our tresspasses and sins, a dead heart, a heart of stone, a corpse, etc. A person in this state has as much ability to choose the things of God as he has to raise himself from death. Jesus speaking about it says, "They will not believe even if they SEE a dead man rise from the grave".

So the clear answer to the OP is that "The freewill of Man" plays no part at all in that man coming to faith. It's just not possible at all because it is not within the nature of that man. It would be just as possible for him to will himself to become an eagle or a lion.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:14 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:
The bible paints a picture over and over again of the unsaved, unregenerate or natural Man as DEAD. "Dead in our tresspasses and sins, a dead heart, a heart of stone, a corpse, etc. A person in this state has as much ability to choose the things of God as he has to raise himself from death. Jesus speaking about it says, "They will not believe even if they SEE a dead man rise from the grave".

So the clear answer to the OP is that "The freewill of Man" plays no part at all in that man coming to faith. It's just not possible at all because it is not within the nature of that man. It would be just as possible for him to will himself to become an eagle or a lion.
Agree, I believe that God works through many ways to bring life and light. Nature itself speaks to the glory of the Creator and we may be drawn to Him through all that He has created. It is the work of His hand. When I was a child, words spoken by mother from the family Bible, or from the mouth of a preacher eventually took root and began to grow in my heart. When I was a teenager I saw a group of believers who were sharing their faith and standing up for what they believed to be wrong sometimes and this had an effect on my life, in my heart. I made fun of them sometimes, but they caught my attention, and I believe that God used this to help open my eyes. God is working all the time to woo us to Himself and He knows what He is doing. I don't believe that we have free will, but that we are being changed by God's sovereign will. God bless and peace.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
The will of man is not free.

God gives Commandments of His will.
Not Choices of any other, but His will.

"Thou Shall Not"

Not, Thou Shall Choose.

The Lord God Commanded the man, saying
'of every tree in the garden you may freely eat.'

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
Thou Shall Not Eat.' - Gen.2:16,17

Man's will can only be (free) to choose
that which is IN the obedience of God's will.

God never gave man a will (free) of doing his own will.

God did not give man a will to choose sin freely.

To teach,
God gave man a (free) will to choose sin, is a lie of the father of lies.
This false doctrine is of 'the world'. Not heaven.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
The will of man is not free.

God gives Commandments of His will.
Not Choices of any other, but His will.

"Thou Shall Not"

Not, Thou Shall Choose.

The Lord God Commanded the man, saying
'of every tree in the garden you may freely eat.'

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
Thou Shall Not Eat.' - Gen.2:16,17

Man's will can only be (free) to choose
that which is IN the obedience of God's will.

God never gave man a will (free) of doing his own will.

God did not give man a will to choose sin freely.

To teach,
God gave man a (free) will to choose sin, is a lie of the father of lies.
This false doctrine is of 'the world'. Not heaven.
Well whose will was it that they went against Gods will?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity