Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
During the Battle of Antietam when thousands were being killed, Stonewall Jackson said, "If you cannot see the hand of God working here, then you are blind, I tell you, blind!"

A year before that, Julia Ward Howe watched soldiers drilling before going into battle and wrote "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Eyewrist, when people like you look at the world around you, it is obvious there is a Supreme Being at work.

Others of us simply do not see it that way, and that is why we are atheists.

No words you say can change our mind.

However, many atheists all of a sudden look at the world differently, see a Supreme Being at work, and become believers. Who knows, it may happen to me and it may happen to June.
One of the best explanations that have been given thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
AGAIN READ ALL POST Please before responding, thxs. My problem is NOT June but those on this forum on attack- each- other mode
i did read all your posts,i just think its statements like that(OP) that causes such conflicting arguments among the christian forums.you should have listened to dewdrop,no problem you talking about how much you miss the BS,but no point in bringin June into it,i like writing and listening here too,but theres no christian in the world thats goin to change my beleif in Krishna,i still beleive in Jesus too though.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Thank you eyewrist ,

I do believe that what we have on this forum is a cross section of society ----- there are some who do display love and patience, both christian and non-christian, and there are also some others who can seem to come across judgmental and intolerant of others views, and some who fall in between, we are all human and subject to error....... Sometimes people do not mean something to be critical and it is taken that way, and there seems to be a few vocal ones who enjoy stirring the pot and provoking others for a response

I think that there is different things that appeal to different people on this forum, and if you want a thread on bible study, you should do one on that.........

I joined this forum in 2008 (I have come and gone a couple of times) and even then there was heated debates between the preterist and futurist, sabbatarians vs resting in christ, catholics vs protestants, etc --- there were also threads on other things, just like now there is a variety of threads..... to a large degree it is up to the posters to make to forum what they want it to be......
I can agree with FEW show fruit of the Spirit such as love and patience, gentleness, long suffering here but MOST are judgemental, critical. confrontation, belittiling of each other which the fruit of ________.(fill in the blank)

Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
One of the best explanations that have been given thus far.
My goal is not to change your mind, you doing that yourself by being here seeking more, looking for more. But it can be choas by being here with those who claim to be Christian attacking each other.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times
Quote:
I can agree with FEW show fruit of the Spirit such as love and patience, gentleness, long suffering here but MOST are judgemental, critical. confrontation, belittiling of each other which the fruit of ________.(fill in the blank)
sometimes to understand something we need to confront it, tand see all sides of the puzzle,even if its not what we beleived in,but makes senseif the URers didnt confront the ETers then the ETers ouldnt have that other option,of beleiving in something better than ET

Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Quote:
My goal is not to change your mind, you doing that yourself by being here seeking more, looking for more. But it can be choas by being here with those who claim to be Christian attacking each other.
You speak truth.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Your post seems so extremely inappropriate. I think it should be removed.
Actually it's a good question, and I suspect that others would like the question quashed for obvious reasons, you won't like the answer.

Almost without fail, the believer that tries to convince the non-believer that they must change their ways and accept the fable of god is based solely on an argument of consequences.

Believe or you will be sorry, Moderator cut: delete, believe or you will never reap the benefit of heaven, etc., etc., ad nauseum. And within the last day or so, repeated many many times here on CD, and in the real world.

No reason, no rational, just hollow threats based on the what a rational view of the threat comes off as laughable except that it is delivered with such vehement intolerance and lack of rational thought.

Due to early childhood programming, usually by parents, and of course fear is the motivation to believe. Eat your brocolli, or god will be mad, say your prayer about "if I should die" just before you get in bed. It messes with little Johnny'ss or Susie's head big time, but it is at an age where fear is a very strong emotion to change one's behavior.

Threaten an adult with hell, when that person recognizes that hell is purely imaginary, and expect any results other than to be ignored to laughed at............ really

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-25-2011 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: hell is still being banned for a while

Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
During the Battle of Antietam when thousands were being killed, Stonewall Jackson said, "If you cannot see the hand of God working here, then you are blind, I tell you, blind!"

A year before that, Julia Ward Howe watched soldiers drilling before going into battle and wrote "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

Eyewrist, when people like you look at the world around you, it is obvious there is a Supreme Being at work.

Others of us simply do not see it that way, and that is why we are atheists.

No words you say can change our mind.

However, many atheists all of a sudden look at the world differently, see a Supreme Being at work, and become believers. Who knows, it may happen to me and it may happen to June.

I agree - great post!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
sometimes to understand something we need to confront it, tand see all sides of the puzzle,even if its not what we beleived in,but makes senseif the URers didnt confront the ETers then the ETers ouldnt have that other option,of beleiving in something better than ET
Many years ago when ppl ask me if I was a Christian I would so "NO" because those who claim to be one was sinning just as much or more than I and I respected God enough to NOT say I was one. Later I began to read the bible over and over again WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME TO; NO PASTOR, NO PREACHER. But it was the Love of God for me that drove me.. BY the time He was through with me (3 years to be exact) I started going to church and realized the people there knew less than ME. Yes I got MAD at them for the false teachings they used to teach, until the Holy Spirit told me gently in a soft voice to stop it and I was no better than they if I continued.. Now I know if the Holy Spirit took the time to stop me, I know these people on this forum has also heard or at least felt an internal sorry for attacking each other. If they are not then it time for me to get out of here and seek those who do have the Spirit of God

Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Many years ago when ppl ask me if I was a Christian I would so "NO" because those who claim to be one was sinning just as much or more than I and I respected God enough to NOT say I was one. Later I began to read the bible over and over again WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME TO; NO PASTOR, NO PREACHER. But it was the Love of God for me that drove me.. BY the time He was through with me (3 years to be exact) I started going to church and realized the people there knew less than ME. Yes I got MAD at them for the false teachings they used to teach, until the Holy Spirit told me gently in a soft voice to stop it and I was no better than they if I continued.. Now I know if the Holy Spirit took the time to stop me, I know these people on this forum has also heard or at least felt an internal sorry for attacking each other. If they are not then it time for me to get out of here and seek those who do have the Spirit of God
But do you not see that in your OP you accused June of being who she is to simply ruffle people's feathers? Do you not see how that is not showing love? That is all we are trying to say. We are not trying to attack you - but merely show how your OP came off as attacking June for still being an atheist. I understand that part of your OP is about Christians trying to be better people to be a better example - but then you should have left out the part about June ruffling people's feathers. I guess I just don't understand why you don't see this. You are eager to point fingers at everyone else but not accept the consequences for your own words. And once again - this is not an attack - simply a friendly voice trying to show you something that you might be able to learn from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity