Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Reading the Bible context referring to Jesus' conversation about this (the unforgivable sin):
It was/is attributing the miraculous works of the Holy Spirit as being a manifestion/work of the devil. When Jesus worked miracles, some of the people refused to acknowledge that it was of God, but instead claimed it was the work of Satan. People still do that today, when miracles happen.
I have an aunt who is Christian, but she thinks all, and I do mean ALL, miracles, instant healings, etc, are of the devil....that God is not working miracles today, nor is He healing anybody...it's all of the devil.

Matthew 12
22Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
23And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come

That word "wherefore" is a connecting word that couples the just-mentioned comments of Jesus with the meaning of it all in His statement to immediately follow. (right after the "wherefore") Jesus has already explained what the unforgivable sin is.

Bud
I believe you are sharing God's truth about this, Bud !! This is exactly how the Holy Spirit taught me to understand the "unforgivable sin" and yes, it is still done to this very day ! Amen

It is to why it scares me when people credit the miracles and the work of the Holy Spirit in heart of their testimonies I read here and people saying it is of the devil or they are worshipping the devil, crediting God's work in that life to Satan... not knowing the individual and what God has really done in that life..... whooa !!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-31-2011 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 AM

376 posts, read 419,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
What is a/the unforgivable sin?
A manmade teaching that has zero scriptual support.

Preston Eby
Knoch

Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
One thing is for certain, the "unforgivable" sin is not specified so all we can do is surmise about what it would be. Guess we'll find out when we get there. Unforgivable for how long though? An age? Everlasting as in forever? I don't think so.
It is specified. It says that it is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. That IS the sin that is not being pardoned.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It is specified. It says that it is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. That IS the sin that is not being pardoned.
That's the way I see it as well. And I think the reason it cannot be pardoned is this: how/why would a person even ask or expect a pardon from the Spirit if they already thought the Spirit was evil (or of the devil)? They would not believe in the goodness of the Spirit.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 AM

376 posts, read 419,675 times
Double post. Sorry

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
If anyone can hear it, Jesus put away sin 2,000 years ago. God is not holding our sins against us, including unbelief.

Are we holding people's sins against them when God has commanded us to condemn not?

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM

351 posts, read 355,204 times
Both Matthew and Mark say the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven in this age or the age to come, which is the thousand year rule of Jesus. They do not say it will never be forgiven.

Matthew 12:31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
32And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

Mark 3 28 Verily I say to you, that all the sins shall be forgiven to the sons of men, and evil speakings with which they might speak evil,
29but whoever may speak evil in regard to the Holy Spirit hath not forgiveness -- to the age, but is in danger of age-during judgment;'

These people will go into "the lake of fire" where all carnal thought will be "burned" out of them and they will be purified.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Both Matthew and Mark say the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven in this age or the age to come, which is the thousand year rule of Jesus. They do not say it will never be forgiven.

Matthew 12:31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
32And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

Mark 3 28 Verily I say to you, that all the sins shall be forgiven to the sons of men, and evil speakings with which they might speak evil,
29but whoever may speak evil in regard to the Holy Spirit hath not forgiveness -- to the age, but is in danger of age-during judgment;'

These people will go into "the lake of fire" where all carnal thought will be "burned" out of them and they will be purified.
I agree. I believe the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in that age in which Jesus was manifest physically in the world as a man, nor in the millennial age of which he spoke of - but I do think all sin will eventually be forgiven in the ages to come. I am not holding sin against anyone, but apparently one can cut themselves off from forgiveness during the ages if they blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Those doing such an insult to the Spirit of grace obviously do not even feel the need to be forgiven and thus will not ask for forgiveness for having done so.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM

138 posts, read 163,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
I believe you are sharing God's truth about this, Bud !! This is exactly how the Holy Spirit taught me to understand the "unforgivable sin" and yes, it is still done to this very day ! Amen

It is to why it scares me when people credit the miracles and the work of the Holy Spirit in heart of their testimonies I read here and people saying it is of the devil or they are worshipping the devil, crediting God's work in that life to Satan... not knowing the individual and what God has really done in that life..... whooa !!
Satan, devil, serpent, lucifer, wicked one, thief, murderer, the dead, demons, etc. are symbolic names for the flesh of man and that's why they all have to perish during this age. The unforgiveable sin comes from the DNA of the flesh and that's why it has to be destroyed and never be used again. Our created souls will remain in God and when we get our new immortal bodies to use in paradise, we will never die again.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
There is no sin. Only right and wrong, good and evil, necessary and unnecessary but no "sin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity