Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times

Advertisements

The Jews were exiled in 586 B.C by the Babylonians and even earlier, the Israelites of the 10 northern tribes were displaced by the Assyrians and scattered all over the Mespotamian region and beyond. As a result, we can find tons of "prophecies" relating to their return to Judah/Israel in the Old Testament. The apparent prophecies came to pass and they returned to their homeland, notably the Jews. Then again, they (the Jews) were scattered all over the place in the second century by (I think) the Roman emperor, Hadrian after the botched Bar Kochba revolt, but unlike the Old Testament, there is not ONE passage in the New Testament that CLEARLY predicts a return of the Jews to their homeland (the very weak "fig tree" parable is the only passage that can be milked dry to remotely suggest a "latter day" return).

I find this rather curious. There are those who believe that the returning Jews of recent times are fulfilling scripture, but ALL of the scriptures often referenced are from the Old Testament which, on VERY good argument, appear to apply to the return from the Babylonian captivity and earlier Assyrian scattering of the 10 northen tribes and NOT the later diaspora 700 years later done by the Romans. This then makes it not the least surprising that no New Testament writer even suggests/predicts a modern day return of Jews to Israel because to them, the prophecies of the Jews returning were a thing of the past and during their times, the Jews were ALREADY back in their homeland or at least, could go back to their homeland from wherever they were.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:37 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
The Jews were exiled in 586 B.C by the Babylonians and even earlier, the Israelites of the 10 northern tribes were displaced by the Assyrians and scattered all over the Mespotamian region and beyond. As a result, we can find tons of "prophecies" relating to their return to Judah/Israel in the Old Testament. The apparent prophecies came to pass and they returned to their homeland, notably the Jews. Then again, they (the Jews) were scattered all over the place in the second century by (I think) the Roman emperor, Hadrian after the botched Bar Kochba revolt, but unlike the Old Testament, there is not ONE passage in the New Testament that CLEARLY predicts a return of the Jews to their homeland (the very weak "fig tree" parable is the only passage that can be milked dry to remotely suggest a "latter day" return).

I find this rather curious. There are those who believe that the returning Jews of recent times are fulfilling scripture, but ALL of the scriptures often referenced are from the Old Testament which, on VERY good argument, appear to apply to the return from the Babylonian captivity and earlier Assyrian scattering of the 10 northen tribes and NOT the later diaspora 700 years later done by the Romans. This then makes it not the least surprising that no New Testament writer even suggests/predicts a modern day return of Jews to Israel because to them, the prophecies of the Jews returning were a thing of the past and during their times, the Jews were ALREADY back in their homeland or at least, could go back to their homeland from wherever they were.

Your thoughts?
The New Testament epistles are about the church. Not Israel. Therefore you would not expect to find a lot of prophecy concerning Israel in the New Testament. In the gospels, Matthew 23:37-39 and 24:1-2, Jesus speaks of the coming dispersal of the Jews and that they will see Him again when they acknowledge that He is the Messiah. That will occur at the end of the tribulation.

Matthew 24:15 and following confirm that the abomination of desolation spoken of in Daniel 9:27 is still future and speaks of the tribulation which is the time of Jacobs trouble. In Revelation 12:6,13-17 Israel (the woman) flees to a place of safety during the last half of the tribulation. This is still future and means that Israel is partially regathered before the Lord returns and fully regathers it.

In the Old Testament, there are many passages which speak of Israel during the Millennal kingdom of Christ, which is still future. Zechariah chapter 14 for one. Isaiah 35:3-10 and Ezekiel 20:33-34 address the regathering of Israel when the Lord returns. The regathering of Israel after the despersion of the Jews in A.D. 70 takes place in two phases. Many of the Jews are now back in an existing nation Israel in a state of unbelief. When Christ returns at the end of the tribulation, He will regather all the Jews in belief. And when He returns, He will return to an already existing Israel.

Psalms 72, Isa 11:1-5, and Zech 14:9 tell of the reign and government of Jesus Christ over the world during the Millennium. Jesus will reign from the throne of David in Jerusalem.

At the following site is 6 hours devoted to Israel regathered. Those who will listen to the information presented in it will learn a lot concerning the significance of modern day Israel being back in the land.

Israel Regathered : Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX

Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Quote:
Your thoughts?
Amos 9
[13] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
[14] And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
[15] And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

The Jews' return to their homeland is from divine intervention. The whole world is in an uproar about the Jews possessing the land, but it's their land according to God Almighty. When the armies of the world will come down against them to overthrow Israel, God will come down in fury and make them food for the fowls of the air.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:58 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
1. I can't for the life of me understand why Beersheva isn't the main bus hub for the south of Israel.

2. I am glad they finally got a bunch of rain

3. I think Ehud Barak's career is finished, Atzmaut will not survive on its own, and he will be a liability to the Likud. I don't know who the new leader of Labour will be.

Those are just a few of my thoughts about Israel.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
I personally find it VERY interesting that many orthodox Jews are completely against the state of Israel. They cite Zionism as the source of all the conflict and bloodshed on both sides, and they seek for Palestine to be given back to the Palestinians.

While many Christians are wanting conflict so that Jesus can return, I believe His declaration that "the peacemakers shall be called the children of God" trumps every other "prophesy."

The question is, where are the peacemakers? Some Christians do not want conflict, and seek a resolution. Jewishvoiceforpeace.org is a wonderful site, imo.

Blessings,
brian

Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM

271 posts, read 355,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I personally find it VERY interesting that many orthodox Jews are completely against the state of Israel. They cite Zionism as the source of all the conflict and bloodshed on both sides, and they seek for Palestine to be given back to the Palestinians.

While many Christians are wanting conflict so that Jesus can return, I believe His declaration that "the peacemakers shall be called the children of God" trumps every other "prophesy."

The question is, where are the peacemakers? Some Christians do not want conflict, and seek a resolution. Jewishvoiceforpeace.org is a wonderful site, imo.

Blessings,
brian
I have watched some videos that support your point. We aren't used to see them, but they exist !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rjnv...D85C103E2DE494

Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Amos 9
[13] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
[14] And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
[15] And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

The Jews' return to their homeland is from divine intervention. The whole world is in an uproar about the Jews possessing the land, but it's their land according to God Almighty. When the armies of the world will come down against them to overthrow Israel, God will come down in fury and make them food for the fowls of the air.
Thus you prove my point. Old Testament scripture. Nothing CONCRETE from the new.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times
Quote:
there is not ONE passage in the New Testament that CLEARLY predicts a return of the Jews to their homeland (the very weak "fig tree" parable is the only passage that can be milked dry to remotely suggest a "latter day" return).
I believe at this time Romans 11 covers this...link here...thousands among the Ten Tribes intermarried with Gentiles and lost their identity as Israelites. This is Biblical and 2nd Temple Literature fact. Within the vast multitude of pagan peoples, they were a tiny minority, living among them after the dispersion Isaiah prophesied. Yet genetically speaking, their descendants now include those of "other nations."

Does this descent of the Gentile nations from the Ten Tribes have prophetic significance? One of the most interesting prophecies relating to the Ten Tribes was given by Jacob when he pronounced a blessing over Ephraim, ancestor of the largest and most important of the Ten Tribes.

Jacob said in Gen. 48:19, “his [Ephraim’s] descendants will be the fullness of the nations.” This is the only place in the Old Testament that this unusual phrase “the fullness of the nations” (in Hebrew, melo ha’goyim) appears. Unfortunately, it is often translated “a multitude of nations,” which hides the true meaning: that Ephraim will be identified with all the Gentile nations of the land.

The apostle Paul mentions this “fullness of the nations” in a passage that shows it to be filled with prophetic meaning. In Rom 11:25, in speaking of the present “partial hardening” of Israel to the Gospel, he says that this takes place “...while the fullness of the nations comes in” Rom. 11:25. This is in the famous section about the Jewish olive tree of faith into which Gentile believers are grafted. In other words, the “fullness of the nations” coming in refers to Gentiles coming to faith in Jesus and being grafted in to Israel (as in Eph 2:12,19). By quoting Genesis here, Paul identifies this salvation of the Gentiles with the prophesied return of the “fullness of the nations” descended from Ephraim (the Ten Lost Tribes). In other words, the salvation of the Gentiles is the prophesied return of the Ten Tribes.

In summary...when you read the text in Romans 11, with this in mind you see...emphasis mine:

Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them (those blinded) [be] the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them (those blinded) the riches of the Gentiles (nations); how much more their (Israel's 12 Tribes) fulness?

Stay busy in the Word!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
I believe at this time Romans 11 covers this...link here...thousands among the Ten Tribes intermarried with Gentiles and lost their identity as Israelites. This is Biblical and 2nd Temple Literature fact. Within the vast multitude of pagan peoples, they were a tiny minority, living among them after the dispersion Isaiah prophesied. Yet genetically speaking, their descendants now include those of "other nations."

Does this descent of the Gentile nations from the Ten Tribes have prophetic significance? One of the most interesting prophecies relating to the Ten Tribes was given by Jacob when he pronounced a blessing over Ephraim, ancestor of the largest and most important of the Ten Tribes.

Jacob said in Gen. 48:19, “his [Ephraim’s] descendants will be the fullness of the nations.” This is the only place in the Old Testament that this unusual phrase “the fullness of the nations” (in Hebrew, melo ha’goyim) appears. Unfortunately, it is often translated “a multitude of nations,” which hides the true meaning: that Ephraim will be identified with all the Gentile nations of the land.

The apostle Paul mentions this “fullness of the nations” in a passage that shows it to be filled with prophetic meaning. In Rom 11:25, in speaking of the present “partial hardening” of Israel to the Gospel, he says that this takes place “...while the fullness of the nations comes in” Rom. 11:25. This is in the famous section about the Jewish olive tree of faith into which Gentile believers are grafted. In other words, the “fullness of the nations” coming in refers to Gentiles coming to faith in Jesus and being grafted in to Israel (as in Eph 2:12,19). By quoting Genesis here, Paul identifies this salvation of the Gentiles with the prophesied return of the “fullness of the nations” descended from Ephraim (the Ten Lost Tribes). In other words, the salvation of the Gentiles is the prophesied return of the Ten Tribes.

In summary...when you read the text in Romans 11, with this in mind you see...emphasis mine:

Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them (those blinded) [be] the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them (those blinded) the riches of the Gentiles (nations); how much more their (Israel's 12 Tribes) fulness?

Stay busy in the Word!
I'm trying to find out what this has to do with a NT prophesy predicting a future return of Jews/Israelites to modern Israel.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Quote:
Thus you prove my point. Old Testament scripture. Nothing CONCRETE from the new.
Whether it's from the OT or the NT, what part of "and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them" is hard to understand? God brought the Jews back to the land of Israel as He promised, and they won't be plucked up anymore; it is written. But, do you want something from the NT, Jesus said:

Luke 21
[22] For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
[23] But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
[24] And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

The times of the gentiles have been fulfilled, or in the process of fulfillment, because Israel now controls Jerusalem -- and has since 1967. The Word of God is powerful and full of truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity