Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 09:43 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So it's vegan to eat locusts? Honey is vegan? I thought vegans didn't eat any animal products.

Having said that, nowhere in Scripture does it suggest that John's diet was any sort of model for Christians to follow. In fact, it was represented as being strange and different.
I made some granola once for a vegan friend but he turned it down because it had honey in it. Fine. More for me lol. Then I found out later that locust beans is actually carob, so, like many of us, John was a chocoholic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 09:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I made some granola once for a vegan friend but he turned it down because it had honey in it. Fine. More for me lol. Then I found out later that locust beans is actually carob, so, like many of us, John was a chocoholic!
He didn't eat locust beans. He ate locusts. `

Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your last chance View Post
Why would any decent person choose to find a way to justify killing or paying someone to kill? It is embarrassing and shameful to see people claiming to be Christians destroying the work of the Greatest Master to grace our earth, twisting and just plain outright ignoring the huge amount of evidence (all through out the bible starting at the beginning with Gen 1:29 which you obviously have never read) that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian and advocated a vegetarian diet.

As Christians you should be walking examples of Love and Compassion but sadly you are the opposite, anyone who eats animals is digging their way to hell with their forks and knives.

The bible has been heavily edited for the purpose of gaining mass followers, the more followers the more money, the more money the more power. Wake up people stop hiding behind false doctrine to justify your ignorance, you are not Christians unless you follow in the Great Masters foot steps, "Be Not among the meat eaters and wine drinkers" Wake Up! Wake Up!
You must think that Jesus thought that a fish was a vegetable.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:29 AM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
I am a vegetarian and find it helps keep me fit and trim.

Scientific studies show that vegetarian diets use far less resources like land and fossil fuels than meat diets as the cows take up lots of land, crops to fire the cow, fossil fuels to transport crops to the cows, water, etc.

I am also pro-life, so I don't eat meat, don't support the death penalty, support national healthcare, don't like abortion, etc. Not a fan of killing animals if I don't need to.

But I don't harshly judge meat eaters, my bf eats meat...a lot!

Old 04-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
He didn't eat locust beans. He ate locusts. `
Or he ate honeycakes, which also had a translation of locusts.

https://jamestabor.com/did-john-the-...s-or-pancakes/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You must think that Jesus thought that a fish was a vegetable.
Valid point! But a lot of traditions had Jesus and his followers as not eating meat or rarely doing it.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your last chance View Post
Why would any decent person choose to find a way to justify killing or paying someone to kill? It is embarrassing and shameful to see people claiming to be Christians destroying the work of the Greatest Master to grace our earth, twisting and just plain outright ignoring the huge amount of evidence (all through out the bible starting at the beginning with Gen 1:29 which you obviously have never read) that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian and advocated a vegetarian diet.

As Christians you should be walking examples of Love and Compassion but sadly you are the opposite, anyone who eats animals is digging their way to hell with their forks and knives.

The bible has been heavily edited for the purpose of gaining mass followers, the more followers the more money, the more money the more power. Wake up people stop hiding behind false doctrine to justify your ignorance, you are not Christians unless you follow in the Great Masters foot steps, "Be Not among the meat eaters and wine drinkers" Wake Up! Wake Up!

Old 04-10-2020, 12:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Or he ate honeycakes, which also had a translation of locusts.

https://jamestabor.com/did-john-the-...s-or-pancakes/

Valid point! But a lot of traditions had Jesus and his followers as not eating meat or rarely doing it.
I'd rather go by what Scripture says. It says he ate locusts.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:11 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Traditions not withstanding, the New Testament has Jesus providing a boatload of fish for Peter who was after all a fisherman, and the other disciples both before and after he was resurrected, and once he was raised he ate a piece of boiled fish to show that he was not a spirit but was flesh and bones.

Good idea not to judge others for what they choose to eat.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Does anyone care for some wine, bread, cheese or a rare steak?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I'd rather go by what Scripture says. It says he ate locusts.
Scriptures have translations. Translations can be spotty.

Early Christian writers in the 300s wrote that he ate honey and honey cakes. We know people in that part of the world at that time would eat honey cakes. Honey cakes in Greek is similar to the word locusts. Is it not possible that he really did eat honey cakes as my link suggests is possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Traditions not withstanding, the New Testament has Jesus providing a boatload of fish for Peter who was after all a fisherman, and the other disciples both before and after he was resurrected, and once he was raised he ate a piece of boiled fish to show that he was not a spirit but was flesh and bones.

Good idea not to judge others for what they choose to eat.
Fair points.

Doesn't Paul mention that many early followers of Jesus wouldn't eat meat and it is tradition that Jesus' brother James wouldn't eat meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Does anyone care for some wine, bread, cheese or a rare steak?
Bread and cheese!

I'll eat this meat:

https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/...arian-meme.jpg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity