Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 11:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,657,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
How many people wrote letters to their loved ones or wills that year and didn't die a few months later? Got even a ballpark figure on that? Because with that data, your anecdote is completely meaningless.

Once again, an example of religious people having absolutely no ability to grasp the meaning of the word "evidence."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And yet another example why it is a waste of time trying to present evidence because you immediately compare it to something else that is unrelated. A person with a heart burning with hatred for God will NEVER EVER accept evidence even if it smacks you in the face. Why? Because Satan wants to keep you lost and blind.
What are you even talking about? What do you mean, "waste of time trying to present evidence because you immediately compare it to something else that is unrelated"? What am I comparing it to that is unrelated?

You said that the fact that a woman in your church wrote a letter to her husband and then died a few months later is evidence for god's existence. I pointed out that there are probably quite a few people in the world who wrote nice letters to their husbands in that same general time period and did not die a few months later, and asked you how you factored that data into the equation that concluded for you that writing a letter and then dying proves the existence of god.

How exactly am I comparing your "evidence" to something unrelated? I'm comparing people who wrote letters and then died to people who wrote letters and then somehow survived the experience. How could it be any more related than that?

Again, you demonstrate that you not only do not understand the meaning of the term "evidence," you don't even comprehend the structure of a logical argument. Jeff, I'm sorry, but almost every single post of yours is a textbook example of why thinking people utterly reject, and often ridicule, the arguments of fundamentalist Christians. They simply make no sense whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 AM

10,098 posts, read 5,764,838 times
Quote:
What are you even talking about? What do you mean, "waste of time trying to present evidence because you immediately compare it to something else that is unrelated"? What am I comparing it to that is unrelated?

You said that the fact that a woman in your church wrote a letter to her husband and then died a few months later is evidence for god's existence. I pointed out that there are probably quite a few people in the world who wrote nice letters to their husbands in that same general time period and did not die a few months later, and asked you how you factored that data into the equation that concluded for you that writing a letter and then dying proves the existence of god.
And this is comparing my story to something completely unrelated. You act like it is perfectly normal for young healthy people to suddenly have the thought, hey you know what , I'm probably going to die soon so I better write that personal letter. You can't tell me that is a normal everyday thought coming out of someone's imagination. I don't know anyone who has ever felt compelled to write such a letter unless they feel that they could be at risk of dying. If I told you that I've had complete strangers pray for me and speak out my exact problem without having ever met me, your response would be, so what, lucky guess, people make them all the time.

Quote:

How exactly am I comparing your "evidence" to something unrelated? I'm comparing people who wrote letters and then died to people who wrote letters and then somehow survived the experience. How could it be any more related than that?
Because in my story, she had absolutely no reason to believe she would die that year and the thought came out of nowhere.

Quote:

Again, you demonstrate that you not only do not understand the meaning of the term "evidence," you don't even comprehend the structure of a logical argument. Jeff, I'm sorry, but almost every single post of yours is a textbook example of why thinking people utterly reject, and often ridicule, the arguments of fundamentalist Christians. They simply make no sense whatsoever.
Nothing new here. I've heard many times that I don't understand "evidence" yet you won't give me that concrete parameters of evidence. You rather keep it as a vague topic so you can easily parachute out when the evidence gets uncomfortable. Ironically, that is your only evidence. Rejecting our evidence. There isn't a single bit of evidence that you can use to prove that there is no life after death. And if there is an afterlife then the possibility of God becomes real.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
YES, and it will have ZERO effect on 99.99 % of the people complaining most loudly.
Zero? It is already costing tax payer money in every local district in America since new legal documents have to be created and printed. You can't say husband and wife anymore. It's spouse 1 and spouse 2. That alone is more than zero.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,303,333 times
Quote:
Zero? It is already costing tax payer money in every local district in America since new legal documents have to be created and printed. You can't say husband and wife anymore. It's spouse 1 and spouse 2. That alone is more than zero.
Just like when society had to "pay" and remove the NEGRO and / or COLORED check boxes from birth certificates and other documents after having to accept people of color as HUMAN BEINGS..There is always a price to pay for intolerance and bigotry--

CORRECTING DISCRIMINATION IS NOT FREE!!!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:19 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,632,558 times
Quote:
How refreshing this change. I remember when there was no room to use, and keep my name. The assumption was I would take his. hahahaha. They were wrong. There was no law making me change my name. So they changed the form.

Sometime bureaucracy needs to change their forms to accommodate.

It is much easier to change the license than refuse to follow the law. Those counties refusing to issue will have to pay $$$$$ in lawsuits. The plaintiffs will win. That will cost far more than changing forms.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,275,017 times
Quote:
LOL. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one, jeffie.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,244,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
In what way have we gone against God's commands?

We no longer have Jim Crow.
OK? What does this have to do with the discussion?
Quote:
We know longer practice eugenics.
Except in the case of women that get an abortion because of birth defects or abnormalities.
Quote:
We no longer have slavery.
Quote:
We no longer have indentured servitude.
Quote:
We no longer draft people against their will.
Quote:
We no longer imprison people because of their beliefs.
Quote:
And many others.

Because we now allow same sex marriage all of a sudden we are going down hill? How will society be affected by this? NOTHING WILL BE DIFFERENT! Gays are doing what they have always done. The 2 gays guys next door will be the same. There will be no difference in what happens because they can marry.
We have had a new definition of marriage thrust upon us by an unelected court. This new definition of marriage serves about 1% of the population, opening the door to further changes to suit other groups, such as polygamists. This is simply bad policy.

On top of that, our nation is now formally recognizing a deviant sexual behavior that has in the past brought God's wrath upon entire cities.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,275,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
...snip...
We have had a new definition of marriage thrust upon us by an unelected court. This new definition of marriage serves about 1% of the population, opening the door to further changes to suit other groups, such as polygamists. This is simply bad policy.

On top of that, our nation is now formally recognizing a deviant sexual behavior that has in the past brought God's wrath upon entire cities.
And the impotent bellowing of the fundavangelists is sweet, sweet music to most of the rest of us.

Keep singing it, Viz!!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,472,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just like when society had to "pay" and remove the NEGRO and / or COLORED check boxes from birth certificates and other documents after having to accept people of color as HUMAN BEINGS..There is always a price to pay for intolerance and bigotry--

CORRECTING DISCRIMINATION IS NOT FREE!!!
Still on the census so is that intolerance and bigotry? Actually Negro is better as it fits Caucasion and Asian. We don't have boxes that say:

White
Brown
Yellow
Red

so why "Black"?

If that is bigotry as "Negro" is a proper term for the color black, then why use white for Caucasian.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one, jeffie.
You can't say zero. Day 1, already a negative consequence. Arguably minor, but that is just the starting point of problems for our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity