Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
If it's by grace and grace alone and your works have nothing to do with it... then what's the point of even having the idea of sin?

Seriously, if all it takes is believing to be saved then sinning shouldn't matter. It's not like sinning matters when you're saved, because according to you the only thing required is believing in Jesus.

Creating the idea of sin makes no sense (at least not logically) if you only have to believe to be saved and what you do in this life will ultimately not matter.
Two points.
Those three verses Romans 3:28, Acts 15:11, Romans 10:9
is the only plan of salvation that scriptures leave no doubt as to which God will accept.

John 9:38 the man worshipped Jesus and Jesus accepted that. One of the wolf in sheeps clothing claims the title "Christian" while saying that Jesus is not God.

Show me scriptures of that attitude of sin.....(you can't).

The problem you're having is with God's plan of salvation ...
it totally removes human work righteousness.
it removes salvation through the law.
it removes salvation by coincidence.
it removes salvation by "if you first don't succeed...try try again"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Two points.
is the only plan of salvation that scriptures leave no doubt as to which God will accept.

John 9:38 the man worshipped Jesus and Jesus accepted that. One of the wolf in sheeps clothing claims the title "Christian" while saying that Jesus is not God.

Yep, the root of all this is people have a problem with God's plan of salvation and take it out on other's !!!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Two points.

I'm not making any claims to the idea of salvation - I don't even believe in the bible.

What I'm asking is if you believe that you are saved by grace alone and nothing else, then why bother with sin? Clearly you can sin your entire life away and it doesn't really matter as long as you accept Jesus as your savior right before you die. So why create the idea of sin or even have it if it doesn't really matter if you do it or not?

I don't think you understand the question, because your response doesn't really answer it at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not making any claims to the idea of salvation - I don't even believe in the bible.

What I'm asking is if you believe that you are saved by grace alone and nothing else, then why bother with sin? Clearly you can sin your entire life away and it doesn't really matter as long as you accept Jesus as your savior right before you die. So why create the idea of sin or even have it if it doesn't really matter if you do it or not?

I don't think you understand the question, because your response doesn't really answer it at all.

Most people do not get that opportunity to believe right before death. That is essentially playing roulette. The Christian doesn't play roulette with God's grace.

The wolf claims it doesn't really matter if you do it or not...so why change your attitude, lifestyle, language? One reson for faith is to bring glory to God. The wolf wants glory for himself and his hearer instead of God.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
If it's by grace and grace alone and your works have nothing to do with it... then what's the point of even having the idea of sin?

Seriously, if all it takes is believing to be saved then sinning shouldn't matter. It's not like sinning matters when you're saved, because according to you the only thing required is believing in Jesus.

Creating the idea of sin makes no sense (at least not logically) if you only have to believe to be saved and what you do in this life will ultimately not matter.
In a certain sense, you have spoken the truth, lisan23.
If you are facing west, you aren't facing east.
The same thing is true spiritually. If you are looking to Jesus, He will see to it that you are safe.
And if we get distracted, all we need to is "look and Live" again!

Sin has been defeated. We all need to get a revelation of this beautiful fact.

Blessings!
brian

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Yes .... and some do so without realizing it. It's more broad than just one person\sect ect. But to expand on it unfortunatly takes more than just one-liner sound bites.

The wolf's message has the capacity to adapt itself just enough to make the true message useless. It's purpose is to snare the unsuspecting, the weak and vunerable. Its literally a spiritual Venus fly trap.
My, what big eyes you have!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
My, what big eyes you have!
The better to see the truth with!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Most people do not get that opportunity to believe right before death. That is essentially playing roulette. The Christian doesn't play roulette with God's grace.

The wolf claims it doesn't really matter if you do it or not...so why change your attitude, lifestyle, language? One reson for faith is to bring glory to God. The wolf wants glory for himself and his hearer instead of God.
So really... the only purpose of sin is to bring glory to Satan instead of God.

But what about someone who leads a life of sin for most of their life but believes in God and Jesus the whole time? Let's say they don't do anything to serious on the sin scale (sorry, can't think of another way to put it), but they do sin pretty consistently throughout their entire life. They don't really get better, they don't get any worse.

Because they believed in Jesus and God the entire time, their sin doesn't matter and they would still be saved... right?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
So really... the only purpose of sin is to bring glory to Satan instead of God.

But what about someone who leads a life of sin for most of their life but believes in God and Jesus the whole time? Let's say they don't do anything to serious on the sin scale (sorry, can't think of another way to put it), but they do sin pretty consistently throughout their entire life. They don't really get better, they don't get any worse.

Because they believed in Jesus and God the entire time, their sin doesn't matter and they would still be saved... right?
I wouldn't phrase it as the "only purpose" of sin, but it's was one of the motivation behind the rebellion.

You would need to define what you're calling "a life of sin" for me to accurately respond.

If "life of sin" you mean those ive like this, then no they will not be saved. They are being lied to by the wolf.

the sexually immoral
nor idolaters
nor adulterers
nor male prostitutes
nor homosexual offenders
nor thieves
nor the greedy
nor drunkards
nor slanderers
nor swindlers
impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft;
hatred,
discord,
jealousy,
fits of rage,
selfish ambition,
dissensions,
factions and envy
orgies, and the like

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't phrase it as the "only purpose" of sin, but it's was one of the motivation behind the rebellion.

You would need to define what you're calling "a life of sin" for me to accurately respond.

If "life of sin" you mean those ive like this, then no they will not be saved. They are being lied to by the wolf.

the sexually immoral
nor idolaters
nor adulterers
nor male prostitutes
nor homosexual offenders
nor thieves
nor the greedy
nor drunkards
nor slanderers
nor swindlers
impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft;
hatred,
discord,
jealousy,
fits of rage,
selfish ambition,
dissensions,
factions and envy
orgies, and the like
So let's say they were sexually immoral for most of their life. (I don't really know what qualifies as sexually immoral... but it will work.)

So, despite the fact that they believed in God and Jesus and accepted Jesus as their savior they still would not be saved?

So then... being saved by grace and grace alone isn't actually true then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity