Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I personally don't think you should be friends or not be friends with someone because they are or are not a Christian or whatever. I am asking the question about are they trying to emulate Christ strictly from a scriptural viewpoint.

My understanding is that God's evaluation is not based on how "good" a person is--how kind, or nice, or a good citizen, or paid his taxes on time. God cares about a person's faith. Is Christ your savior or is He not? That is the "tree" that scripture refers too. All the good works that a person may do because of the spirit's indwelling is the "fruit".

And I agree with you about the people who "say they are better"--agree 100%. We should all try to be better people--but the reason why might matter to God, even if it doesn't matter to us.
Oh - I didn't think that you were telling me I should be friends with someone based on their religion. I understood why you were asking about if they were trying to emulate Christ.

I think that many Christians think that how nice, kind, or good a person is doesn't matter to God. I think that sometimes shows in how they themselves treat others as well. I'm not Christian -but all I can say is that how nice, kind or good a person is does matter to me.

If there is a God - I'll leave the judging to him and I'll let him decide what matters to him... or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Oh! But when they see HIM!!! God can change their hearts in the twinkling of an eye calgirl! We're dealing with the Creator of ALL things!

What is impossible with man...

Excellent point! Thanks for the reminder!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:54 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
You keep choosing to ignore everytime the UR believers have told you that all must come to the Father through Christ and that every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. I wonder why you cannot hear what UR believers actually teach? Must have something blocking your hearing.
Just an edge of truth there which makes it so scary. I hear what UR believers are teaching and the Holy Spirit is telling me it's a lie straight from the devil.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The masquerading of the wolf in sheeps clothing is getting too much .... I'm about to burst out of my skin or blow up this computer screen

The Bible is very clear about how one is saved:

No works ... not by obeying any law ... not by any membership of any church (mine included).....Not by the amount of faith.......... Just by grace through faith.
You need to calm down and recognize that there are always going to be people who disagree with your point of view. What on earth is bursting out of your skin or blowing up your computer screen going to accomplish? You're convinced that you're saved. I'm convinced that I am. All you're doing at this point is working yourself towards a stroke. Ranting and raving, hand-wringing and hysteria never solved anything.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-16-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Just an edge of truth there which makes it so scary. I hear what UR believers are teaching and the Holy Spirit is telling me it's a lie straight from the devil.
You believe only a few will be saved and that their obedience to God's commandments is not going to be a factor. I believe that almost everyone will be saved and that our obedience is important. Okay, so you're going to Heaven and I'm going to Hell. Why are we having this discussion?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so you're going to Heaven and I'm going to Hell. What are you worried about?
All the people that are headed for hell. What are you worried about these days?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
All the people that are headed for hell. What are you worried about these days?
My dog's sick. I'm worried about him. And if you're going to Heaven, why do you care about me? You don't even know me. When you're in Heaven, do you think you'll even remember this conversation?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
My dog's sick. I'm worried about him. And if you're going to Heaven, why do you care about me? You don't even know me. When you're in Heaven, do you think you'll even remember this conversation?
I'm really sorry about your dog. Pets are family and I love my cat dearly. I care about all people, I even care about your dog. No I won't remember this conversation when I am praising my Lord and Savior.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I'm really sorry about your dog. Pets are family and I love my cat dearly. I care about all people, I even care about your dog.
Thank you. That's really nice to hear.

I guess maybe I'm just in a kind of a sarcastic mood right now, and I'm frustrated because I know there's nothing I can say to adequately express how I'm feeling. All I'm really trying to say is that this whole ET/UR business is just baffling to me. It's not the differences of opinion that get to me. It's the idea that anyone who believes in ET truly believes that he's going to convince any UR believer of anything by all of this hysteria. (The opposite is probably true, too, but the UR people don't seem to be quite as hysterical to me.) I know that twin.spin isn't going to literally "bursting out of his skin or blowing up his computer screen," but this kind of response to the fact that some people disagree with him is simply not healthy. ET folks could shout hellfire and damnation to me until the day I died and it wouldn't change a thing. People need to calm down, explain what they believe, and let the Holy Ghost do the rest.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That's really nice to hear.

I guess maybe I'm just in a kind of a sarcastic mood right now, and I'm frustrated because I know there's nothing I can say to adequately express how I'm feeling. All I'm really trying to say is that this whole ET/UR business is just baffling to me. It's not the differences of opinion that get to me. It's the idea that anyone who believes in ET truly believes that he's going to convince any UR believer of anything by all of this hysteria. (The opposite is probably true, too, but the UR people don't seem to be quite as hysterical to me.) I know that twin.spin isn't going to literally "bursting out of his skin or blowing up his computer screen," but this kind of response to the fact that some people disagree with him is simply not healthy. ET folks could shout hellfire and damnation to me until the day I died and it wouldn't change a thing. People need to calm down, explain what they believe, and let the Holy Ghost do the rest.
I think I get what you're saying. I know I can't change anyone's mind, that is the job of the Holy Spirit. It's easy to get frustrated on here, I've done it many times.
I really do hope your dog will be ok. I know how much you love animals, I do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity