Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,026,078 times

Advertisements

TO FORGIVE IS TO REMEMBER

To forgive is not to forget. To forgive is really to remember…

That nobody is perfect…

That each of us stumbles when we want so much to stay upright…

That each of us says things we wish we had never said…

That we can all forget that love is more important than being right.

To forgive is really to remember that we are so much more than our mistakes and that we are often more kind and caring and that accepting another's flaws can help us accept our own.

To forgive is to remember that the odds are pretty good that we might soon need to be forgiven ourselves and that life sometimes gives us more than we can handle gracefully.

To forgive is to remember that we have room in our hearts to begin again… and again…and again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4VM...ayer_embedded#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,941,575 times

That is very healing and uplifting and full of the power of love.
Just beautiful, Heartsong!
Forgiveness holds so much power.
You continue to bless me over here on my little path..
peace sister,
sparrow

Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,705,766 times

"Forgiveness: essential to Life and Spiritual Freedom"

“Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. (Matt.18:15)

It would be an immoral thing to forgive a person who did not say he or she was sorry. If someone sins against you and you go to that one and point out what he or she has done wrong- if the person hears you, then you can forgive; yet, if that person is obstinate you can do nothing; you can not say "I forgive you," you must bring him or her to a sense of justice.

Jesus Christ said, "I say to you, love your enemies," yet, He also said the most appallingly stern things that were ever uttered, such as, ".... neither will you Father forgive your trespasses."
I can not forgive my enemies and remain just unless they cease to be my enemies and give of their sorrow, which must be expressed in repentance. I have to remain steadfastly true to God's justice.
There are times when it would be easier to say, "Oh, well, it does not matter, I forgive you," yet, Jesus insists that the uttermost farthing must be paid.
The love of God is based on justice and holiness, and I must forgive on the same basis.

Oswald Chambers

Read it very carefully..... it took me a few times to really understand what Oswald Chambers is saying !! Very profound......
Only God can forgive, we do not have that power or authority over sin !
Yet, the freedom is that I can leave them in the hands of God and pray earnestly without ceasing for them until they no longer are God's and my enemy !!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,692,995 times
it is,and to think,there are so many good times that would not have happened,had I chosen not to forgive certain ppl in my life.I wish more ppl would realize this..what all are you cheating *yourself out of if you don't forgive?? It's about you,too.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:39 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
Forgiving others actually changes who we are for the better and unforgiveness changes us for the worse.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM

The great teacher said "Father forgive them..." as he hang there dying...

Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,026,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post

"Forgiveness: essential to Life and Spiritual Freedom"

“Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. (Matt.18:15)

It would be an immoral thing to forgive a person who did not say he or she was sorry. If someone sins against you and you go to that one and point out what he or she has done wrong- if the person hears you, then you can forgive; yet, if that person is obstinate you can do nothing; you can not say "I forgive you," you must bring him or her to a sense of justice.

Jesus Christ said, "I say to you, love your enemies," yet, He also said the most appallingly stern things that were ever uttered, such as, ".... neither will you Father forgive your trespasses."
I can not forgive my enemies and remain just unless they cease to be my enemies and give of their sorrow, which must be expressed in repentance. I have to remain steadfastly true to God's justice.
There are times when it would be easier to say, "Oh, well, it does not matter, I forgive you," yet, Jesus insists that the uttermost farthing must be paid.
The love of God is based on justice and holiness, and I must forgive on the same basis.

Oswald Chambers

Read it very carefully..... it took me a few times to really understand what Oswald Chambers is saying !! Very profound......
Only God can forgive, we do not have that power or authority over sin !
Yet, the freedom is that I can leave them in the hands of God and pray earnestly without ceasing for them until they no longer are God's and my enemy !!
Have you not understood the meaning of grace? God certainly did not wait for us to be sorry before offering his love and graciousness to us. I realize it is popular for some to teach otherwise, but it is the KINDNESS of God that leads to repentance, not the demand for justice of God!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,194,453 times
What a great thread, Heartsong! There is one person in my life that I still struggle to forgive. I'm not allowed to speak to him - I haven't been for years (his wife won't let me) - so I know I'll never get an "I'm sorry" out of him. Still, I know that my heart will be happier and I will feel like a better person once I can truly forgive him. It is not about hearing I'm sorry, it is not about someone making amends to you. If that were the case - forgiveness would be very easy! It's about finding it in your heart to get rid of the anger and the sadness - to move on. And I think the only way to do that is to forgive. Someday, I know I willl succeed! I'm already far less angry and hurt than I was before. But I know I'll feel much more peaceful when I can truly let go and I can truly forgive.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:28 PM

9,899 posts, read 1,285,181 times
The most difficult person in your life to forgive is yourself.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJAoE...eature=related

This is a great thread to share the story of Azim Khamisa, again.

peace,
sparrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity