Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 05:15 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I beg to disagree too. You only have to click on any thread on this forum to see what any main stream christian believes. There is no conditions if it's by amazing grace. It's amazing grace that produces faith,repentance and joy and peace in believing.Faith and repentance are not requirements they are the result of God shining his light in our hearts and revealing the love of Christ to us. Now that my dear brother is amazing grace.
That is a false statement. Mainstream Christianity recognizes that faith in Christ is a requirement for salvation. Faith, which is repentance [a change of mind toward Christ] is the means by which the work of Christ on the Cross is appropriated, resulting in eternal salvation.

If you are trying to paint Universalists as mainstream Christians, you are wasting your time. Universalism is a heresy.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
That's exactly right

The serpents message in the Garden (the covenant of works) was: "You shall not die".

The serpents message at the cross (the covenant of grace) is: "You shall not live".
UR message today: "You shall not die".

The lie is the same as before.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:43 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,017,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
UR message today: "You shall not die".

The lie is the same as before.
Are you calling Jesus a liar? It sounds like it.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the verses do say they lead to different places.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
The way I look at it is similar to giving directions, let's say to a pasture on a farm. "Enter in through the narrow gate because that path is straight and clear. Don't enter in through the broad gate because it's overgrown and has snakes there, and it's rocky, steep, and dangerous, so you might get hurt." That's what I'm saying. It can be viewed that way, but like Eusebius said, it never talks about a permanent place of torment anyway. That theology was interjected into it by human beings and taught as truth, when it's simply not there.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That is a false statement. Mainstream Christianity recognizes that faith in Christ is a requirement for salvation. Faith, which is repentance [a change of mind toward Christ] is the means by which the work of Christ on the Cross is appropriated, resulting in eternal salvation.

If you are trying to paint Universalists as mainstream Christians, you are wasting your time. Universalism is a heresy.
I am sorry but i totally disagree, fundamentalists have attached that many contradictory conditions on to Salvation it's untrue(see link below).You just don't see it, in fact that is why your posts are so long it's full of conditions

No man come unto me unless the Father draws him.

The most laughable thing about the message of christendom is that you can just decide to believe in Jesus on a whim, this is simply not true.The salvation of God is far more marvellous than that and when Jesus makes himself to known to the individual , there is always only one outcome "Lord i believe".

Hypocrisy

Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
The way I look at it is similar to giving directions, let's say to a pasture on a farm. "Enter in through the narrow gate because that path is straight and clear. Don't enter in through the broad gate because it's overgrown and has snakes there, and it's rocky, steep, and dangerous, so you might get hurt." That's what I'm saying. It can be viewed that way, but like Eusebius said, it never talks about a permanent place of torment anyway. That theology was interjected into it by human beings and taught as truth, when it's simply not there.
that's right, nowhere does it speak of a permanent, eternal place of torture. Like you said above (bolded), it just simply isn't there.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
I am sorry but i totally disagree, fundamentalists have attached that many contradictory conditions on to Salvation it's untrue(see link below).You just don't see it, in fact that is why your posts are so long it's full of conditions

The most laughable thing about the message of christendom is that you can just decide to believe in Jesus on a whim, this is simply not true.The salvation of God is far more marvellous than that and when Jesus makes himself to known to the individual , there is always only one outcome "Lord i believe".

Hypocrisy
Yes i love that picture, it completely illustrates the lies and hypocrisy of the traditional orthodox and fundamentalist teachings ...

Old 03-24-2011, 06:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Ironmaw you did explain to me a long while back how to embed like that, but how you explained to do it went right over my head..

Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Yeah I need to know how to do that too.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:

Hypocrisy
There is but one condition for which God holds man responsible as a condition for eternal salvation, and that condition is non-meritorious, which means that man can't take any credit for it. Faith expressed toward Christ in response to the gospel message is the condition for eternal salvation. Man is required by God to use his God given volition to choose to come to Him in response to the gospel call. The issue is not whether man can respond to the gospel, but whether man will resist the call of the gospel. And he certainly can resist it.

You have an extreme Calvinistic view, and it is not Scripturally correct. As a result of what Christ accomplished on the cross, salvation is a potential for all mankind. But the potential only becomes an actuality, a reality for those who respond to the message of the gospel by placing their faith in Christ. The invitation for eternal life is extended by means of the gospel message. An expression of the invitation is seen in Revelation 22:17 'And the Spirit and the bride say, ''come.'' And let the one who hears say ''come.'' And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.'

But man is fully capable of saying 'no' to that invitation. John 5:40 'and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life.'' In context, the Jews did not believe Jesus because they had rejected the witness of John, the witness of works, the witness of God the Father, and the witness of the Scripture - [V47] ''But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words.'' So much for dismissing the Scriptures as unimportant, or as stale manna as some do.

You think that man can't seek after God? Not according to Paul! This is from Pauls Sermon on Mars Hill. Acts 17:26 'and He made from one, every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times, and the boundaries of their habitation. 27] That they should seek God, if perhaps they might grope for him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us,'' One of God's purposes for revealing Himself in creation and history is so that man would seek Him. Romans 1:19 ''because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20] 'For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.'

Because God has made Himself known to man, He expects and requires a volitional response from man with reference to the gospel call. A response of 'yes' means eternal life, while a reaction of 'no' results in eternal separation from God. That is the issue, that is why man was created and why anyone who has been born is born. To choose to have a relationship with God or to reject having a relationship with Him. God made salvation possible, He freely offers it to man through the gospel message on the basis of the cross. Man's eternal future depends on man's choice in response to God's call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity