Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times

Advertisements

I so have a problem w/ that song that many of you might know if you grew up singing it in the 60's & 70's. I'm sure some churches still sing it, but most have gone w/ Contemporary Christian music. I am a Christian, struggling w/ some issues. I have a problem w/ this song, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He's watching me." I never thought much about it until I saw a little baby sparrow that fell from it's nest to splat on the pavement below. What happened to watching out for that sparrow? Is it because we're in a fallen world that God only watches out for some? I'd rather He take His eye off the sparrow and watch over some of these precious children that are abducted, raped and murdered. Why is His eye not on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
What about the "sparrows" at Fort Hood or that man that was shot in downtown Orlando, he was at his place of work and a disgruntled ex employee shot him.

I have been told at times like that that we all have freedom of choice. Well those kind of scenarios only show that the perpetrator of the crimes have freedom of choice that the victims destiny is chosen for them by the person who murders them.

god has a plan?? really?? Your gods plan is for our American service people to be murdered on their own base in their own country??

Your gods plan sucks or haven't you noticed that yet.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
What about the "sparrows" at Fort Hood or that man that was shot in downtown Orlando, he was at his place of work and a disgruntled ex employee shot him.

I have been told at times like that that we all have freedom of choice. Well those kind of scenarios only show that the perpetrator of the crimes have freedom of choice that the victims destiny is chosen for them by the person who murders them.

god has a plan?? really?? Your gods plan is for our American service people to be murdered on their own base in their own country??

Your gods plan sucks or haven't you noticed that yet.
Just because we cant understand what Gods reasons may be for allowing evil to happen, doesn't mean that he doesn't have them.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:48 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
What happened to watching out for that sparrow?
The scriptures don't say that since God watches the sparrow that no sparrow will ever fall. It says that no sparrow will ever fall "without the Father".
  • Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
Quote:
I so have a problem w/ that song that many of you might know if you grew up singing it in the 60's & 70's. I'm sure some churches still sing it, but most have gone w/ Contemporary Christian music. I am a Christian, struggling w/ some issues. I have a problem w/ this song, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He's watching me." I never thought much about it until I saw a little baby sparrow that fell from it's nest to splat on the pavement below. What happened to watching out for that sparrow? Is it because we're in a fallen world that God only watches out for some? I'd rather He take His eye off the sparrow and watch over some of these precious children that are abducted, raped and murdered. Why is His eye not on them?
You sound more like an agnostic or atheist.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
The scriptures don't say that since God watches the sparrow that no sparrow will ever fall. It says that no sparrow will ever fall "without the Father".
  • Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
This is also disturbing. So when the 'sparrow' does fall, it's okay to blame god for not protecting it, I take it?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
Actually Matthew 10:29 can be a comfort to me, and it has been..
When terrible things happen in this world of so much hatred and violence resulting from man's free will to choose between good and evil..This is the result of God allowing man freedom of choice from the beginning..

The fact that we all die sooner or later tells me that even though a death seems untimely, senseless, horrific that God will never abandon us, he will be the the one holding us as we fall..

As usual that is JMHO and not meant to be anyone's truth except mine

Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The fact that we all die sooner or later tells me that even though a death seems untimely, senseless, horrific that God will never abandon us, he will be the the one holding us as we fall..
I agree. The fact of the matter is..death comes to everyone. It will come to you,it will come to me,yes,even your children will die. So we know death comes to EVERYONE. The greatest,strongest,most lovable adorable people who have ever LIVED....DIED!
But we hold on to this life so tight. We love our life. We don`t want to let it go. But if you understand that something so grand is on the other side,then death loses its sting.
It`s the people who have a "sort of believe in God mentalilty" that lash out at God the most when trouble and death come knocking on their door...and it comes knocking on everyone`s door! The atheist don`t believe in God anyway, so they can`t blame God. But the others only want God when they need him. They hang onto this world so tight and when something bad happens, then they want to blame someone. They don`t have enough faith to believe what awaits on the other side. Their love for this world and their life here is so strong.
Paul said it was better for him to leave this world. But better for those around that he stay. I try to look at it the same way. Death is almost a welcome relief to a true believer. Does that mean I have a deathwish? No. But I`m not afraid to die. I`m excited to see what lies beyond. I would be very sad for my children, eventhough 2 are grown. But I would have faith that God will take care of them. Aren`t we supposed to love God with all of our heart, mind, and soul? We are to love him more than our own children. Afterall, they belong to him more than us. But again, most people just see this life as all there is and hold onto it so tightly,eventhough they may say they believe in God.
Think about it..you will die. Do you expect to live forever? Maybe you believe you will be one of those people who will live to be 100. Look at your spouse..they will die. Your children..they will die. Your best friend..they will die. The good news is, they will live again. You shall see them again. It`s like taking a long trip away from someone. It`s sad to say goodbye to them but you know that soon, you will meet them again and never have to say goodbye again.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,583 times
Quote:

Yes, it is because we live in a fallen world...this isn't heaven. God allows stuff to happen here on earth, but because He allows it doesn't mean He sits on a golden throne and gives orders for baby sparrows to fall out of their nests. Once sin entered the picture, who became the god of this world? The Bible gives us a clue:

Matthew 4:
8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Q: How could the devil tempt Jesus, unless...the devil did in fact control all the kingdoms of the world? Unless...he actually had something to offer? Otherwise, it would not have been a temptation...

We are living in a very dark and sinful place.
Things aren't going to get better until Jesus returns...instead things will only get worse...just like the Bible said. Bad stuff will continue to happen, but don't believe for a minute that God ordained it.

By the way, I like that song...

Bud

Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
You sound more like an agnostic or atheist.
Excuse me, just because I asked a question? Sorry, but even Christians can ask why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Yes, it is because we live in a fallen world...this isn't heaven. God allows stuff to happen here on earth, but because He allows it doesn't mean He sits on a golden throne and gives orders for baby sparrows to fall out of their nests. Once sin entered the picture, who became the god of this world? The Bible gives us a clue:

Matthew 4:
8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Q: How could the devil tempt Jesus, unless...the devil did in fact control all the kingdoms of the world? Unless...he actually had something to offer? Otherwise, it would not have been a temptation...

We are living in a very dark and sinful place.
Things aren't going to get better until Jesus returns...instead things will only get worse...just like the Bible said. Bad stuff will continue to happen, but don't believe for a minute that God ordained it.

By the way, I like that song...

Bud
Thank you for this explaination, Bud. Yesterday was just a very bad day. To top it off, seeing that poor baby bird smashed on the pavement didn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity