Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

130 posts, read 164,405 times

Advertisements

I wonder if when Jesus told the high priest his father was the devil if he was offended, I wonder when John the baptist told everyone they were a generation of vipes if they were offended, was that nasty to them, when Paul argued and the chruch people said he was a pestilent fellow and they tried to kill him, if he was right to argue and get killed for it. I wonder how these three all born about the same time about, all three killed for reproving sinners, all of them argued the Bible, the greatest of the old, God, and the greatest of the new, peace is a good thing, but this is the end of the world and people want to have God and not stand up and fight for Him and His Word for truth, no cost, Paul told the church people I will go to the Gentiles now, I wonder who can receive the truth easier a non church person or a church person. Something about claiming God and living in sin that took the system down, and then people don't want to go and do church and do live for God, so they don't learn the bible either, hell is at the end for both groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah to come View Post
I wonder if when Jesus told the high priest his father was the devil if he was offended, I wonder when John the baptist told everyone they were a generation of vipes if they were offended, was that nasty to them, when Paul argued and the chruch people said he was a pestilent fellow and they tried to kill him, if he was right to argue and get killed for it. I wonder how these three all born about the same time about, all three killed for reproving sinners, all of them argued the Bible, the greatest of the old, God, and the greatest of the new, peace is a good thing, but this is the end of the world and people want to have God and not stand up and fight for Him and His Word for truth, no cost, Paul told the church people I will go to the Gentiles now, I wonder who can receive the truth easier a non church person or a church person. Something about claiming God and living in sin that took the system down, and then people don't want to go and do church and do live for God, so they don't learn the bible either, hell is at the end for both groups
ETC
Whenever i think anything which is contrary to the thoughts and ways of God i believe it's the devil, i quite often rebuke myself and say get behind me satan for wrong thoughts. It also helps in keeping you humble.You should try it.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,260,403 times
Where are you Mr. Antredd? I'm waiting for your response to my last post to you. It's no fun arguing with myself. lol

Katie

Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,420,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
You mean you don't recognize Peter's first sermon on the day of Pentecost? Hmmmm! Okay, here it is. Acts chapter 2. I look forward to your response my friend. lol
I was tired and sleepy when I read your post. It's funny that you say how you can't wait to debate with me, like this is some kind of entertainment. I am not debating to entertain, but I have always kept 2 Timothy 3:16 in mind when I share what I believe with others.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,260,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I was tired and sleepy when I read your post. It's funny that you say how you can't wait to debate with me, like this is some kind of entertainment. I am not debating to entertain, but I have always kept 2 Timothy 3:16 in mind when I share what I believe with others.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
I'm sorry you see it that way. I don't consider debating with you entertainment. I do enjoy studying and digging into God's Word, however. We are told to contend for the faith. That's what I'm doing and I'm trying to do it with a smile.

I noticed you still haven't responded to the post in question. You asked for the book which the passage came from. I gave it to you, but you haven't responded.

Katie

Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,420,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I'm sorry you see it that way. I don't consider debating with you entertainment. I do enjoy studying and digging into God's Word, however. We are told to contend for the faith. That's what I'm doing and I'm trying to do it with a smile.

I noticed you still haven't responded to the post in question. You asked for the book which the passage came from. I gave it to you, but you haven't responded.

Katie
I forgot now what it was LOL. I have two threads going at the same time.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 AM

672 posts, read 665,070 times
James 2:17

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Also see James 2:20,26

The reason why James said that Faith without works is dead, and then used as an Illustration of a Brother being in need : James 2:14-17

14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Notice, He says if a brother or sister be naked and destitute. He is speaking about a spiritual relationship as brothers and sisters in the Lord. How could we know of one who is in the like family of faith in such dire need, and act complacent about it ?

John makes a similar point 1 Jn 3:14-18

14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

16Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

17But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

Its amazing how many of the opponents of James who say He is promoting a works orientated salvation, can read this of John, who basically is saying, if we see a brother in need and don't be moved to aid them, how that is giving evidence of one being void of the Love of God in them, and lacking of evidence of having been passed from death unto life. Basically He is saying, that they are not born again themselves.

So James as well as John knew that certain evidences accompany Salvation or conversion, of which is Love to the Brethren or Sisters, not in word only, but also in deed and in truth. That word deed in I Jn 3:18 is the greek word ergon and means:

work ! It is translated work 152 times !

Loving our Spiritual Brethren is an evidence of having been born Again 1 Jn 5:1

1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 Jn 3:14

14We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Ye see that ? Loving the brethren, not in word only, but in deed or work, John says is an evidence of having passed from death unto life. Just as believing is says Jesus here Jn 5:24

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

And so that is all James is saying, Faith without works is lacking evidence of being that Faith which is Born of God. Which makes it a dead faith, or the Faith of a person who is alienated from the Life of God.

One more crucial point here. This Faith that is born of God will also be Characterized by belief in the Truth, the True Gospel, the True Christ with an accurate knowledge of who He is and what His work accomplished on the Cross and for whom it was for.

2 Jn 1:1

The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;

Old 07-12-2011, 05:46 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Why do we make it so difficult to comprehend? All that is required is a contrite spirit, a wounded heart, a sincere cry to Jesus! I mean come crawling, come begging, snot in your nose, on your toes.....who cares? Really, it's not as difficult as some would have it.

All that matters is that you COME! None are "good" enough! Who called "YOU" righteous? It would be wise to humble oneself before the all-seeing-eyes of God, rather than justify oneself before men. (I'll rather wait on that honor to be bestowed on me by His Truly).

Simply put.....It's a GIFT!! It's FREE!! It's available for ALL!! Extended to you and you and you...and yes, you too! TAKE IT.

The Holy Spirit will do the sorting out (of righteous/unrighteous) just come, it will all make sense soon enough.

Betsey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity