Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

The Law came through Moses, Grace and Truth came through Jesus Christ.John 1:17 Moses went up the Mountain and came back down the mountain with His, Jesus Christ came from above and went up a mountain and sat down on it to give His Matthew 5:1.

The message from one mountain was "Thou Shall":,the message from the other was "Blessed are"

The message from one mountain put a yoke around our neck that none of us were able to bear

Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses.”
now, therefore, why do ye tempt God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?Acts 15 :5&10

The message from the other mountain was a yoke that was easy.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”Matt 11:28-30Did you notice Jesus said learn from me, not the Law of Moses ?

The message from one mountain brought death

I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.Romans 7:10

The message from Mount Calvary brought life.

so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. Romans 5:18

The message from one mountain increased sin,the message from the other flowed grace and mercy

The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more. Romans 5:20

Yes Jesus did talk about about commandments all his commandment were one and the same"love your neighbor as yourself".

Loving God and our neighbor as ourselves are really not 2 different commandments. They are the same

If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.1 John 4:20

Some have said the Law of Moses is the Law of God,the God IS Love. Love is not a law,"Love IS", this is why it says in Romans 13:10Love IS the fulfillment of the Law.

Do we really believe love was an after thought of God's, or IS Love where we abide and Be Love ?.

The commandment is to abide in His Love so we can BE love.

Last edited by pcamps; 04-06-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The Law came through Moses, Grace and Truth came through Jesus Christ.John 1:17 Moses went up the Mountain and came back down the mountain with His, Jesus Christ came from above and went up a mountain and sat down on it to give His Matthew 5:1.

The message from one mountain was "Thou Shall":,the message from the other was "Blessed are"

The message from one mountain put a yoke around our neck that none of us were able to bear

Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses.”
now, therefore, why do ye tempt God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?Acts 15 :5&10

The message from the other mountain was a yoke that was easy.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”Matt 11:28-30Did you notice Jesus said learn from me, not the Law of Moses ?

The message from one mountain brought death

I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.Romans 7:10

The message from Mount Calvary brought life.

so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. Romans 5:18

The message from one mountain increased sin,the message from the other flowed grace and mercy

The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more. Romans 5:20

Yes Jesus did talk about about commandments all his commandment were one and the same"love your neighbor as yourself".

Loving God and our neighbor as ourselves are really not 2 different commandments. They are the same

If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.1 John 4:20

Some have said the Law of Moses is the Law of God,the God IS Love. Love is not a law,"Love IS", this is why it says in Romans 13:10Love IS the fulfillment of the Law.

Do we really believe love was an after thought of God's, or IS Love where we abide and Be Love ?.

The commandment is to abide in His Love so we can BE love.
Thoughtful post pcamps.

Matthew 5:43-45
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate your enemy.

44 But "I" say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

45 That ye may be the children of your father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.....

~And Jesus' died on the cross as the fulfillment of his words...

He lived the life he taught!!!

Peace!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:41 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Amen, brother. And the blood of Jesus speaks of BETTER THINGS than the blood of Abel, according to the book of Hebrews. And . . .

2Corinthains chapter 3

7But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was, 8how will the ministry of the Spirit fail to be even more with glory? 9For if the ministry of condemnation has glory, much more does the ministry of righteousness abound in glory. 10For indeed what had glory, in this case has no glory because of the glory that surpasses it. 11For if that which fades away was with glory, much more that which remains is in glory. 12Therefore having such a hope, we use great boldness in our speech, 13and are not like Moses, who used to put a veil over his face so that the sons of Israel would not look intently at the end of what was fading away. 14But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. 15But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart; 16but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM

234 posts, read 238,383 times
Why I desire to obey God's commandments, and how God's commandments are related to His love,is not such a big mystery. Pcamps stated that all the "Thou shalls" are a burden, that no-one could keep; some may see in "thou shalt" a burden, yet I see in those words a promise. "Thou shalt" love the Lord thy God is a promise...."Thou shalt" not commit adultery is a promise...."Thou shalt" not kill is a promise...."Thou shalt" not covet is a promise....all the commandments are promises to those who love them and by faith take a hold of the promises of God that He will accomplish all His will and purpose in us if we believe and submit to His Spirit by which He works in us His righteousness. And it is the will of God that we keep His commandments.

The Ten Commandments which were written on stone were placed meticulously inside the ark of the covenant. The ark was the earthly representative of the very throne of God, the mercy seat being watched over by the angels and the Shekinah glory, God's presence, covering the mercy seat.Therefore God's law was enshrined right in the midst of His throne. The entire sanctuary was a mirror image of the heavenly sanctuary wherein God dwells. His law of love encapsulated in His Ten Commandments to man is the foundation of His law by which He governs the entire universe, it is a written transcript of His character of love, and the commandments are His detailed description of how His love is to be carried out by man. Yet some dare to claim that that very law which is a part of His universal government has been done away with?

The letter of the law kills if it is the letter that one is trusting in for his salvation. When I look in the mirror I don’t see someone who is righteous by the letter of the law. I see someone who has been declared righteous by the grace of God. I see someone who, as he submits to God and abides in Him through prayer and studying His word, has been and is being renewed in the spirit of his mind and is being daily transformed by God into the image of Christ. I see someone who underneath the surface lurks more danger for the well being of others, and himself, than he knows how to handle. So every day he surrenders to Christ his Saviour, because he is only too acutely aware that without Him he can do nothing.

By the grace of God I can overcome sin, and through the grace and power of God I can overcome a number of character defects such as a foul temper and impatience. And through the grace of God I can even learn to love all manner of people, even my enemies, although at the moment, thank God,I don’t think I have any. Through the grace of God I can also learn to forgive, even the closest and most intense of personal hurt, and have. Yet any and/or all of the above counts as nothing toward my attaining heaven, or comes close to Christ’s righteousness. None of the above is good enough. For regardless of how holy or righteous I become through God’s grace, I do now and will always need the imputed righteousness of Christ to cover my nakedness and shame.
That said, what manner of love is this that God would choose to call me His son!? That God would look upon me as if I had never sinned. What grace, what forgiveness is this? Oh how I love Him! What peace there is to them whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered!
My friends, it is not because I need to impress God that I desire to keep His commandments. Nor is it because I feel I need to do something to attain to righteousness. God loves me regardless, and my righteousness are as filthy rags. No, rather it is because I love Him that I love His law. It is because I love Him that I desire to keep His commandments. It is because I love Him that I seek to obey Him in all things. I love Him because He first loved me. He gave me all the precious promises I need to be a partaker of the divine nature. Obedience is my heartfelt response in gratitude for all He has done for me.
Yet I can no better keep the Sabbath holy without Him than you can keep the 6th commandment without Him. You claim to keep the spirit of the law. So I take that to mean that by the grace of God you don’t get unnecessarily angry with your brother . If so, that’s great. But how can you accomplish such a feat without keeping the letter of the law regards murder? Both surely are as essential as each other. The spirit of the law of Christ has freed from the law of sin and death. I am free from all condemnation through the precious blood of Christ. All penalties due me were laid upon My Saviour, praise God. But that does not do away with any ones obligation to obedience.
Should a judge choose to pay my speeding fine, does that free me to do 180 miles an hour the next day? Of course not, rather on the contrary I would, because of his grace and generosity, be the more careful to obey in future, not wanting to trample upon his gift. So it is with God and His law.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
Why I desire to obey God's commandments, and how God's commandments are related to His love,is not such a big mystery. Pcamps stated that all the "Thou shalls" are a burden, that no-one could keep; some may see in "thou shalt" a burden, yet I see in those words a promise. "Thou shalt" love the Lord thy God is a promise...."Thou shalt" not commit adultery is a promise...."Thou shalt" not kill is a promise...."Thou shalt" not covet is a promise....all the commandments are promises to those who love them and by faith take a hold of the promises of God that He will accomplish all His will and purpose in us if we believe and submit to His Spirit by which He works in us His righteousness. And it is the will of God that we keep His commandments.

The Ten Commandments which were written on stone were placed meticulously inside the ark of the covenant. The ark was the earthly representative of the very throne of God, the mercy seat being watched over by the angels and the Shekinah glory, God's presence, covering the mercy seat.Therefore God's law was enshrined right in the midst of His throne. The entire sanctuary was a mirror image of the heavenly sanctuary wherein God dwells. His law of love encapsulated in His Ten Commandments to man is the foundation of His law by which He governs the entire universe, it is a written transcript of His character of love, and the commandments are His detailed description of how His love is to be carried out by man. Yet some dare to claim that that very law which is a part of His universal government has been done away with?

The letter of the law kills if it is the letter that one is trusting in for his salvation. When I look in the mirror I don’t see someone who is righteous by the letter of the law. I see someone who has been declared righteous by the grace of God. I see someone who, as he submits to God and abides in Him through prayer and studying His word, has been and is being renewed in the spirit of his mind and is being daily transformed by God into the image of Christ. I see someone who underneath the surface lurks more danger for the well being of others, and himself, than he knows how to handle. So every day he surrenders to Christ his Saviour, because he is only too acutely aware that without Him he can do nothing.

By the grace of God I can overcome sin, and through the grace and power of God I can overcome a number of character defects such as a foul temper and impatience. And through the grace of God I can even learn to love all manner of people, even my enemies, although at the moment, thank God,I don’t think I have any. Through the grace of God I can also learn to forgive, even the closest and most intense of personal hurt, and have. Yet any and/or all of the above counts as nothing toward my attaining heaven, or comes close to Christ’s righteousness. None of the above is good enough. For regardless of how holy or righteous I become through God’s grace, I do now and will always need the imputed righteousness of Christ to cover my nakedness and shame.
That said, what manner of love is this that God would choose to call me His son!? That God would look upon me as if I had never sinned. What grace, what forgiveness is this? Oh how I love Him! What peace there is to them whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered!
My friends, it is not because I need to impress God that I desire to keep His commandments. Nor is it because I feel I need to do something to attain to righteousness. God loves me regardless, and my righteousness are as filthy rags. No, rather it is because I love Him that I love His law. It is because I love Him that I desire to keep His commandments. It is because I love Him that I seek to obey Him in all things. I love Him because He first loved me. He gave me all the precious promises I need to be a partaker of the divine nature. Obedience is my heartfelt response in gratitude for all He has done for me.
Yet I can no better keep the Sabbath holy without Him than you can keep the 6th commandment without Him. You claim to keep the spirit of the law. So I take that to mean that by the grace of God you don’t get unnecessarily angry with your brother . If so, that’s great. But how can you accomplish such a feat without keeping the letter of the law regards murder? Both surely are as essential as each other. The spirit of the law of Christ has freed from the law of sin and death. I am free from all condemnation through the precious blood of Christ. All penalties due me were laid upon My Saviour, praise God. But that does not do away with any ones obligation to obedience.
Should a judge choose to pay my speeding fine, does that free me to do 180 miles an hour the next day? Of course not, rather on the contrary I would, because of his grace and generosity, be the more careful to obey in future, not wanting to trample upon his gift. So it is with God and His law.
Amen!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity