Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I simply reconsidered, that's all. I'm not a relativist. I believe in absolute truths and sound doctrine. In this forum, I won't be able to discuss this matter without finding myself in a battle against those who believe in relativism.
Only God, at this point, has absolute Truth. You cannot get it from any man or man made doctrine. I would suggest talking to God Himself to clarify those things in your religious views that make you question because in a forum like this, you will get all kinds of answers.

There are many paths to God. It's ok to listen to another view point. Maybe you'll find a little bit of truth in each one you come into contact with. No sense in worrying over things now as we have all eternity to understand all of the Absolute Truths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
I simply reconsidered, that's all. I'm not a relativist. I believe in absolute truths and sound doctrine.
Well, that makes two of us.

Quote:
In this forum, I won't be able to discuss this matter without finding myself in a battle against those who believe in relativism.
So what's the problem? Have you ever heard the following statement by Austin Farrer?

"Though argument does not create belief, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced, but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it nourishes a climate in which belief may flourish."

I am merely suggesting that you have the responsibility to present your beliefs as to what constitutes absolute truth and sound doctrine. Likewise, I have the responsibility to present mine. Since we both believe that absolute truth does exist, we can do no more than that. Having done so, I believe we also have the responsibility to treat one another with civility and respect.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Yes confront deception and hypocrisy head on and seek the Lord Jesus for your judgments against anyone who may bring them to you....... In Matthew 22; 39.... Jesus said ``You will love your neighbor as yourself``..... which means every person in the whole earth, and if anybody tries to deceive you for trick you , then you are called to tell them people and Let it go, with No condemnation and judgment of walls in the spirit coming from ought in the spirit , ,,,If you do go out and tell every body and condemn people and judge people , THEN YOU MUST UNDER THE WILL OF GOD PRAY FOR THESES PEOPLE AND FORGIVE THEM AND LET IT GO.......................

Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, that makes two of us.

So what's the problem? Have you ever heard the following statement by Austin Farrer?

"Though argument does not create belief, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced, but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it nourishes a climate in which belief may flourish."

I am merely suggesting that you have the responsibility to present your beliefs as to what constitutes absolute truth and sound doctrine. Likewise, I have the responsibility to present mine. Since we both believe that absolute truth does exist, we can do no more than that. Having done so, I believe we also have the responsibility to treat one another with civility and respect.
I totally agree.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:03 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:
I hope I don't confuse anyone with this question and all I really need is a simple answer, perhaps (and preferably) accompanied by Scripture to support your answer: Is it our duty as believers to engage and fight deception when we encounter it in the spiritual path we walk - or do we ignore it and keep moving along, allowing it to remain unchallenged so long as we recognize it for what it is and do not allow it to affect us?
We are not to resist evil people, neither are we to be confrontational in our dealings with others(Matthew 5:38-42).

We are told what the fruits of the spirit are and how we are to be meek and patient and gentle and kind and humble etc. ...

Though we are not supposed to resist evil people, we are also taught that we should represent what we know to be true despite however we may be persecuted for doing so(Matthew 5:15), and not to have dealings with people who do things in secret under the cover of darkness, but to expose those things to the light(Ephesians 5:8-16).

I do not believe it is right for any person to try and control any other person or to control how they live their lives so long as that person is not specifically causing trouble for others. We are not here to convince people of what we believe to be the truth, but only to bare witness to it and provide an example of it in our lives and in the way we affect others around us.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
We are not to resist evil people, neither are we to be confrontational in our dealings with others(Matthew 5:38-42).

We are told what the fruits of the spirit are and how we are to be meek and patient and gentle and kind and humble etc. ...

Though we are not supposed to resist evil people, we are also taught that we should represent what we know to be true despite however we may be persecuted for doing so(Matthew 5:15), and not to have dealings with people who do things in secret under the cover of darkness, but to expose those things to the light(Ephesians 5:8-16).

I do not believe it is right for any person to try and control any other person or to control how they live their lives so long as that person is not specifically causing trouble for others. We are not here to convince people of what we believe to be the truth, but only to bare witness to it and provide an example of it in our lives and in the way we affect others around us.
Amen!!! So true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity