Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,430,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I see and interpret "calling on the Lord" as calling on Jesus for mercy, similar to the lepers, under the covenant of grace, that were cleansed here:

Luk 17:12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
Luk 17:13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
Luk 17:14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.

Contrast that with those, under the covenant of works, that say (or appeal) to Jesus:

"Lord, Lord, look what I'm doing. Look at all my wonderful works. I've done this, and I've done that, all in your name. Aren't I great?

Big difference between the spirit of the two. The lepers are cleansed every time. Not so with the boastful and self righteous.

Better to be a leper.
Better still is to be the only one leper that returns to give thanks to God..Jesus.

What's the first thing Jesus asks "where's the other nine?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I see and interpret "calling on the Lord" as calling on Jesus for mercy, similar to the lepers, under the covenant of grace, that were cleansed here:

Luk 17:12 And as he entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:
Luk 17:13 And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.
Luk 17:14 And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.

Contrast that with those, under the covenant of works, that say (or appeal) to Jesus:

"Lord, Lord, look what I'm doing. Look at all my wonderful works. I've done this, and I've done that, all in your name. Aren't I great?

Big difference between the spirit of the two. The lepers are cleansed every time. Not so with the boastful and self righteous.

Better to be a leper.
I think the other nine just don't know they need a physician God sends the rain on the grateful and the ungrateful since He is no respecter of persons. We're not like that (by nature) - we discriminate to whom we will give often based on some selfish reasoning. One example that comes to mind is when people will not help the poor unless they will 'convert' to the faith.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,922,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Better still is to be the only one leper that returns to give thanks to God..Jesus.

What's the first thing Jesus asks "where's the other nine?"
.. So few to day thank Jesus for being cleansed.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,858,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Bible scholars divide "salvation" into:

1) Justification - Being born again into the holy spirit by accepting Jesus as your savior.

2) Sanctification - Living by faith and trust in his word

3) Glorification - The bema seat of Jesus and how we are glorified based upon doing his will.

So justification is just the beginning and is the gift of God, paid for on the cross ~2000 years ago for us.

Sanctification is based on not taking his name in vain, and living the word. It's a personal relationship with the creator. Based upon scripture, there is a hell that's reserved for judgement at the White Throne and is located in eternity.

The goal isn't just justification which is a gift, but sanctification. God calls us to do something.

Hope that helps.
And what is THE NAME?....

Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,119,853 times
Not to further confuse the issue, but Heaven and the Kingdom of God are not the same place. The kingdom that Jesus will rule over for 1000 years will be on earth. The New Jerusalem will descend from Heaven to earth. Our future home is not in Heaven. It's right here.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,227 times
For anyone interested in a completely different perspective about a possible interpretation of these verses, then a little study of Christian Science will give a different perspective. Matter means a problem or a difficulty or rather something within one's experience that outwardly appears to be very much different than that having the characteristics of God. Thus to call upon the name of the Lord is to state within oneself only the close presense of the character and charcteristics of God, and not to repeat within oneself people's general wild negative imaginations about their negative experiences. Note that the phrase name-of-God possibly could mean the characteristics-of-God.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,526,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Romans 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved

Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Thoughts?
God grants the insight that Christ saves and a will to repent and call on His name. They are received by God because they answered the call. Many others do not know God but have lots of religion but their heart is far from Him and in fact when they were called to the "Way" in Christ they rejected in favor of self righteousness. It is written, "They have the outward form of Godliness but deny the power thereof." and "You do always resist the Holy Spirit."

LK 11:19-20 "And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out? therefore shall they be your judges. But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the Kingdom of God is come upon you." It is the same today. Many claim to cast out Devils and do miracles but in reality they are accomplishing nothing because they are not doing these things by the finger of God because they do not know God. There is the real thing and the false things.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,190,053 times
Not everyone who calls on the Lord will enter the Kingdom, but all who call on the Lord will be saved.

Not all have understanding now, but all will come to the knowledge of the truth.
Especially, when they are made healthy and whole in due time; according to his will.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 PM

18,191 posts, read 16,776,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
everyone who calls upon Him with a pure heart...with all sincerity Obviously, anyone who raises their hand and repeats after whomever, the thinks good! God loves me...I have no worries...it's all taken care of...is sorely misguided.

everyone who calls upon Him with a pure heart...with all sincerity Obviously, anyone who raises their hand and repeats after whomever, the thinks good! God loves me...I have no worries...it's all taken care of...is sorely misguided.

Quote:
Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Thoughts?

If you call upon the Name of the LORD with a pure heart, and you change...you turn from your sins, you are His...if not...you are not...simple.

...nothing more need be said. It is quite clear.
What is clear, Verna is that your conclusions are extremely subjective. I checked the verses just to make absolutely certain that Joel, Peter and Paul didn't add that "with a pure heart and with sincerity" to the verse and sure enough---none of them made that a stipulation. If it's not in black and white in the Bible, then it's a man-made conclusion (or woman-made in this case).

Old 10-13-2012, 01:29 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What is clear, Verna is that your conclusions are extremely subjective. I checked the verses just to make absolutely certain that Joel, Peter and Paul didn't add that "with a pure heart and with sincerity" to the verse and sure enough---none of them made that a stipulation. If it's not in black and white in the Bible, then it's a man-made conclusion (or woman-made in this case).
...you have to be able and willing (definately able first...which is a gift from God) to read the entire book of Scriptures as a beautiful, woven cloak of threads that come together to make a whole TRUTH...as opposed to picking out a few threads you may like the best..."pure heart" and "sincerity" are spoken of throughout Scripture and both do, most definately apply in this instance...God gives believer's understanding (He opens the eyes of their heart) and His truth by His Spirit. You are not a believer, therefore you do not read with understanding....

....line upon line...line upon line...comparing Spiritual things with Spiritual things....precept upon precept....

I will pray for you...as I have done so many times thrill....I do hope you find HIS truth.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-13-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity