U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 PM

31 posts, read 29,386 times

Advertisements

I just have ask this question and it seems that this forum is the place to go for the answer. Please no double talk or bible quotes and all that other stuff that Christian do when asked a question which will prove their God as a fraud. I was watching CNN news tonight and John King whom I've heretofor admired for his tough questioning and interviewing techniques. But tonight he showed us some geomaps and pointed out a school facility in the path of the tornado and pointed out that the storm hit at about 5:30 pm and so he said, "thank God there were no children at the school". What? God destroyed several cities to include the present death toll at about 50 people and he's thanking the guy who did it (I believe it's called an act of God) for saving the childred? What is wrong with this picture? If your answer is to quote bible passages, don't bother, we've already heard them all. This is so unbelievable that it's impossible to ponder for a logical thinker.

Last edited by ShadowEyes; 04-29-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM

17,157 posts, read 9,726,031 times
Not a Christian, but seriously, why is this a big deal to you? Someone said "Thank God" that there weren't kids in harms way in one particular incident and you feel that is somehow an insult to your intelligence? It's a common figure of speech. And even if he meant it literally why is it a problem that someone shows gratitude for children being safe in the midst of heartbreak and calamity? How do you know that he even considers tornados or any weather "acts of God" rather than simply natural occurences?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,256,302 times
God gives, God takes away. But, do not fear for the loss of innocent life. For if they were right with God, then they are with him. And, if they were not found innocent, then they are not with him. God's promise is eternal life if they have walked with faith in Jesus Christ.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 PM

31 posts, read 29,386 times
Christian doctrine taught me that acts of God were his dictate. Yes I too am grateful for the children who were saved from this alleged act of someone's God. I just don't get it that you're not disgusted with the 50 or so people who he killed and all the devistation that he caused. Figures of speech do not count in this kind of serious thinking. Thanking the imaginary man in the sky is simple a matter of ignorance. That's why it's a big deal for me. I am truly sorrowful for the lives lost and I don't thank the invisible man in the sky for saving a few others. Yes I am very upset by those so called acts of God, but am not about to forgive him for not killing more. Thanks for your reply, but I still don't get it.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowEyes View Post
Christian doctrine taught me that acts of God were his dictate. Yes I too am grateful for the children who were saved from this alleged act of someone's God. I just don't get it that you're not disgusted with the 50 or so people who he killed and all the devistation that he caused. Figures of speech do not count in this kind of serious thinking. Thanking the imaginary man in the sky is simple a matter of ignorance. That's why it's a big deal for me. I am truly sorrowful for the lives lost and I don't thank the invisible man in the sky for saving a few others. Yes I am very upset by those so called acts of God, but am not about to forgive him for not killing more. Thank for your reply, but I still don't get it.

Now I don't get it. Do you believe the Christian God (or any God) exists? If you don't and you are an atheist, which you seem to indicate is the case in your first post, how can you be angry with (not forgive) something you don't believe in? How did a non-existant God cause anything?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:30 PM

164 posts, read 242,359 times
Shadow eyes, God loves you, more than all the words man can speak,

with love
Arena

Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 PM

3,843 posts, read 5,048,391 times
Quote:
I just have ask this question and it seems that this forum is the place to go for the answer. Please no double talk or bible quotes and all that other stuff that Christian do when asked a question which will prove their God as a fraud. I was watching CNN news tonight and John King whom I've heretofor admired for his tough questioning and interviewing techniques. But tonight he showed us some geomaps and pointed out a school facility in the path of the tornado and pointed out that the storm hit at about 5:30 pm and so he said, "thank God there were no children at the school". What? God destroyed several cities to include the present death toll at about 50 people and he's thanking the guy who did it (I believe it's called an act of God) for saving the childred? What is wrong with this picture? If your answer is to quote bible passages, don't bother, we've already heard them all. This is so unbelievable that it's impossible to ponder for a logical thinker.
God is the author of all life, and He gives us not only physical life here on earth, but through Jesus Christ, we can have life eternal. While it is sad when a Christian dies because they are leaving their love ones here to mourn, it is great for the Christian believer because they have gone to perfect joy and bliss with God. So, although a tornado death is tragic from the earthly perspective, it is not for the Christian who believed in Jesus and will enter into heaven. IT is always sad and tragic when a person who did not believe in Jesus because they have entered into eternal torment. God is Sovereign through all things, and that is why we must be ready to leave this world at any moment.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Christian doctrine taught me that acts of God were his dictate. Yes I too am grateful for the children who were saved from this alleged act of someone's God. I just don't get it that you're not disgusted with the 50 or so people who he killed and all the devistation that he caused. Figures of speech do not count in this kind of serious thinking. Thanking the imaginary man in the sky is simple a matter of ignorance. That's why it's a big deal for me. I am truly sorrowful for the lives lost and I don't thank the invisible man in the sky for saving a few others. Yes I am very upset by those so called acts of God, but am not about to forgive him for not killing more. Thanks for your reply, but I still don't get it.
I've been thinking about you ShadowEyes and that perhaps I didn't see the real intent of your post. I assumed that you were just here to childishly poke fun at Christians or to try to trap them into saying something you could disagree with to show them how ignorant they all are. And, I don't know, maybe you are. But either way, I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

As I thought more about the inconsistency of your post (an atheist who is angry at god?) and the seeming anger behind it, it seems to me that it's also possible that you are an ex-Christian who has gone through a real time of questioning the things you were taught and come (or is coming) to the conclusion that you can't believe those things anymore. And I can definitely relate to that. Of anyone on this forum, I should have been more sensitive to the tone of anger in your post, because I felt the exact same anger when I went through that process.

Anger that the things I'd been taught about God being loving weren't in any way congruent with the other things I'd been taught about him. Anger when I realized that the things I'd been taught about the bible being the infallible Word of God and that it had to be taken literally had put me on extremely shaky ground when confronting science, and how the bible canon has evolved, and scholars who are familiar with ancient history and ancient historical literature and put a literal reading of the bible to shame. Anger that when I would try to talk about these things with other Christians, I would either be ignored or essentially told to get over it.

And finally, anger when I realized I couldn't keep holding on to these insupportable beliefs. The entire process was, for me, a difficult and painful time ... a time of grieving for a god I no longer could believe in, for an entire lifetime of devotion to a god that as far as I could tell, didn't really exist, and even grieving as I looked ahead and saw a future without a god. And grieving for a loss of the sense of solidarity and community I had with other Christians. All of that yanked out from under me and not something I wanted to let go of, but I had no choice.

So, during that long process, as I was still torn between wanting to believe and realizing I couldn't, I would occasionally come to this forum and ask a question or two. And I bet I sounded angry too ... because I was. And it sounds like maybe that's where you are right now.

I don't know if I'm right about you or not, and I don't know if this will help you at all, but just in case: Here's how I finally came to look at it, ShadowEyes. I decided that IF god was real, he could withstand the questioning; that if I let the obviously false stuff fall by the wayside, then IF there was a real God (the one who really IS Love) perhaps he would eventually reveal himself to me. But, if not, then I'd lost nothing but false beliefs. And, for me, even if there is no "God" of Love, I still believe that the ability to Love unselfishly is the thing most worthy of pursuing in this life. That kind of Love can only change one for the better, in my experience.

Have you ever heard the saying, "Let go and let God"? Well, as a former Christian, the one thing I still hold to as the only possible foundational truth about God is the Biblical statement that "God IS love". So, my motto is "Let go and let Love". Ymmv.

Wishing you peace, ShadowEyes, and I apologize again for jumping to conclusions about you.

Last edited by Pleroo; 04-30-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,352,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
God gives, God takes away. But, do not fear for the loss of innocent life. For if they were right with God, then they are with him. And, if they were not found innocent, then they are not with him. God's promise is eternal life if they have walked with faith in Jesus Christ.
There are no "innocent" - There are none who are righteous, no not one. But God's grace is unto all.

I'm rather taken aback by your statement. But we best not take this thread any further off the track.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 AM

73,518 posts, read 41,216,286 times
Quote:
What I don't get is people who say God does not exist come here to blame God for a tornado. He would have to exist for being guilty of creating the storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity